Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

IPhone dock

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I decided to start a project today I have been thinking about for a while. Since I have an IPhone and a lockpick installed in the XLR I wanted a dock for it. I got to looking at options and really hit the jackpot. I found that if you remove the ashtray the hole is the exact same size as a factory Ipod/ IPhone dock. I removed the top of the console where the ashtray cup holders are and mounted the dock in the ashtray hole. I ran the line in wire from the lockpick to the dock. I then plugged in a 12 volt charger in the plug in the center console and ran the wire to the dock. I did this because I have a Ipod I keep in the car for music and I use the line in wire from the lockpick for the IPhone so if I want to choose songs from the IPhone or listen to Internet radio from the IPhone I can do that, and it will charge the IPhone too. Here is how it turned out http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii205/monepit1/100_0393.jpg it works great. if you were wondering what the red button is for that is the switch for the light on the windrestrictor.

Nice!!!!! :cool:

Iphone

That's pretty good and I like the button for the Windrestrictor, which I assume lets you turn it off if you want too. I can see that was a lot of work.
Not to be negative, but the Iphone blocks the controls for the passengers seat and temperature controls.
For those that don't want to do all this work, there's a wood area on the left and right just below the nav screen that I put a strip of Velcro on both sides and then put a matching piece of velcro on the back of my Iphone & my duaghters. We just slap them on and pull them off when we get in or out of the car. We also use the cigar lighter for charging right next to it. The songs on our Iphones are duplicated on CD's in the car so we don't have to fumble with the Iphone. Just another idea.:blinzel:

I decided to start a project today I have been thinking about for a while. Since I have an IPhone and a lockpick installed in the XLR I wanted a dock for it. I got to looking at options and really hit the jackpot. I found that if you remove the ashtray the hole is the exact same size as a factory Ipod/ IPhone dock. I removed the top of the console where the ashtray cup holders are and mounted the dock in the ashtray hole. I ran the line in wire from the lockpick to the dock. I then plugged in a 12 volt charger in the plug in the center console and ran the wire to the dock. I did this because I have a Ipod I keep in the car for music and I use the line in wire from the lockpick for the IPhone so if I want to choose songs from the IPhone or listen to Internet radio from the IPhone I can do that, and it will charge the IPhone too. Here is how it turned out http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii205/monepit1/100_0393.jpg it works great. if you were wondering what the red button is for that is the switch for the light on the windrestrictor.

Good idea but not the case. I just put this in saturday and the garage door has been doing it for a couple months. V, I cant stand loose wires, thats why I did this. Good idea though. I just mainly did this for charging the phone and internet radio and I hardly ever use those buttons, although i went out to the car and it isn't in the way at all.

How did you route the wiring from the lockpick / windrestrictor to the cigarette lighter area? did you have to remove the center console? That is definitely the perfect location for both of those items.

monepit

Great solution, I was also looking into a similar installation after seeing this, but noticed that both the cigarette lighter and center console power source remained powered after i turned off the car. I will remove my IPhone, but the charger remains powered after shutting and locking the car. It did eventually turn off (about 15 - 20 minutes later like the radio). Do you unplug the charger every time, or do you leave it in? Any concern for battery drain? Guess I can run a switch like you did for the Windrestrictor to the lighter or power, but then I'd have to manually switch it on or off. Thanks for the posting, once I figure out the final installation in my XLR this will be very appreciated.

I just leave it plugged in. never a problem. I did have to remove the top peice of the center council. Very easy though. About an hour total work.I use the plug in the center council. You can just route the wire through the light next to the plug.

I was able to remove the center console between the back rest of the two seats as the screws were easily located. However, I cannot find any screws or clips to remove the console containing the cup holders. How did you get that piece out?

Money,
cup holders center piece pulls up & out, then the rubber insert pulls but has to be carefully removed as not to break the doors to the compartment.
This should help
:blinzel:

Money,
cup holders center piece pulls up & out, then the rubber insert pulls but has to be carefully removed as not to break the doors to the compartment.
This should help
:blinzel:

More: On the shifter knob, pull down on the ring at the bottom, just below the knob. It snaps off, now, on the shifter knob itself, where the ring came off is a #15 Torex screw. Losen it and the shift knob comes off. Now,,, on each corner of the console plate ( where the PRND indictor is) are clips that hold it down. Pull and work each corner lose. It will kind of snap up out the holding clips. Lift up over the bare shifter rod. Watch out for the wire connectors, I think there's about four. And keep an eye on the PRND plate, it may be loose from the rest of the console now. If I've done it it can't be too hard!!! Good luck!

Chad

Thanks a lot. I will give that a shot.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry