Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lloyd's carpet mat refinement

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
A couple of us got a pair of Lloyd's before the first of this year. I've found that the locking collar on the new mats are slightly larger than the pins on the carpet are. Several times in and out of the car will result in the driver's side mat coming loose and bunching up under the brake pedal. We all know how dangerous that can be. Took me some time to figure the fix out (at least for me). Used the self sealing black tape stuff, but that didn't work, wrapped it in electrical tape, that didn't work either. There were a few push pin retainers missing on the fender wells of the car and I had a bunch left over after I replaced them. I measured (eyeballed) the flange on the retainers and it's slightly larger in circumference than the posts on the carpet. I then slowly drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the middle of each post, cut off about 5/16th of an inch off the bottom of the retainer pin, and pushed it into the drilled hole. Cutting off a like amount on the push pin, and pressing the push pin in till locked gave me a clean look which still lets me remove the Lloyd's carpet to clean/shampoo out of the car.
A picture follows.

Attachments

• Pinned carpet.jpg
    Pinned carpet.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 328
A couple of us got a pair of Lloyd's before the first of this year. I've found that the locking collar on the new mats are slightly larger than the pins on the carpet are. Several times in and out of the car will result in the driver's side mat coming loose and bunching up under the brake pedal. We all know how dangerous that can be. Took me some time to figure the fix out (at least for me). Used the self sealing black tape stuff, but that didn't work, wrapped it in electrical tape, that didn't work either. There were a few push pin retainers missing on the fender wells of the car and I had a bunch left over after I replaced them. I measured (eyeballed) the flange on the retainers and it's slightly larger in circumference than the posts on the carpet. I then slowly drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the middle of each post, cut off about 5/16th of an inch off the bottom of the retainer pin, and pushed it into the drilled hole. Cutting off a like amount on the push pin, and pressing the push pin in till locked gave me a clean look which still lets me remove the Lloyd's carpet to clean/shampoo out of the car.
A picture follows.

I live only a few miles from the Lloyd's Mats headquarters in Northridge, CA. I was frustrated that the plastic loop sewn into the bottom of the mat wouldn't stay attached to the post allowing the mat to gather under the pedals...Very Annoying! So one day I dropped by there offices and met a wonderful engineer who was very happy to retrofit my mats in exchange for me allowing him to take laser measurements of both sides of the floor. Apparently, they hadn't had an actual car to work with and designed the mats from the spec's GM sent them. I was only too happy to oblige. My mat's haven't moved since the new retainers were installed. :thumbsup

I live only a few miles from the Lloyd's Mats headquarters in Northridge, CA. I was frustrated that the plastic loop sewn into the bottom of the mat wouldn't stay attached to the post allowing the mat to gather under the pedals...Very Annoying! So one day I dropped by there offices and met a wonderful engineer who was very happy to retrofit my mats in exchange for me allowing him to take laser measurements of both sides of the floor. Apparently, they hadn't had an actual car to work with and designed the mats from the spec's GM sent them. I was only too happy to oblige. My mat's haven't moved since the new retainers were installed. :thumbsup

When did this occur? I got the mats in December and the plastic rings were not the right size.

I just got a set of lloyds matts and the retainers seem to fit right. Thanks to rule62 for getting this product improved for us all.

I just got a set of lloyds matts and the retainers seem to fit right. Thanks to rule62 for getting this product improved for us all.

Thanks Fireduck! Just a happy accident, but I was glad to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back