Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New part needed

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hey

Need to replace the starter in the V. What a drag !! Want to buy a new AC Delco one, not a reman. if at all possible. Looked at Rock Auto and some of the typical local parts places and even a GM dealer. No go. Even the GM dealer only lists a reman at over 100 % more than anyone else for the same thing for the V. I don't want to take a chance on having to do the job again in a year or whenever cause the reman has a pat that failed. My opinion is, I will have a better chance with longevity and reliability with all parts of the starter being new. Any chance to get a new OEM one anywhere ??

Bill

looks like you can buy a reman for 50$ and up. You can get a new aftermarket for 100$ or less. a a/c delco reman for a125 or a new oem for 350 . Starters are pretty simple. they usually work or not and they fail when they wear out or get oil in them . so if you have no leaks I would just go with the name brand reman with a warranty. Same starter fits a lot of gm and has been around a long time so they most likely have a good reman.
if not here is a new one for you GM OEM-Starter Motor 89017760 | eBay

looks like you can buy a reman for 50$ and up. You can get a new aftermarket for 100$ or less. a a/c delco reman for a125 or a new oem for 350 . Starters are pretty simple. they usually work or not and they fail when they wear out or get oil in them . so if you have no leaks I would just go with the name brand reman with a warranty. Same starter fits a lot of gm and has been around a long time so they most likely have a good reman.
if not here is a new one for you GM OEM-Starter Motor 89017760 | eBay

Hey thanks Mickey T. That one comes up as a reman though. doing a Google Serach. They mention a core charge of 45 bucks. Whenever you pay a core charge the unit you are buying is a remanufatured one . A core charge does not come into play when buying a new unit, I have found. Think if I can not find a new ACDelco one, I am going to have to go for the AC Delco reman at Rock Auto,

Bill

Bill you will find a lot of companies no days charge core charges even for new parts . Buy a new headlight from GM and there is a core charge .New bumper cover , There is a core charge. Its just another way to make money if you fail to send one in and parts companies sell cores to reman shops . The part number for the NEW OEM is the same number as a reman. It will just be stamped reman. This one I sent you a link to was checked and they told me it was new oem thus the higher price. If you look at the listing is says NEW OEM I year warranty. When GM discontinues many parts they keep the same number just mark it reman if thats what it is.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back