Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

new shocks

Before and After

Excited.. my new shocks arrive Monday, cant wait to feel the difference..

I am curious what kind of ride experience did you have before the shock replacement.

Was it somewhat jarring and noisy with full suspension travel?

I am asking because I am trying to determine if I need new shocks. When my driver side front suspension goes through full suspension travel it kind of clunks at low speeds.

I am curious what kind of ride experience did you have before the shock replacement.

I am asking because I am trying to determine if I need new shocks. When my driver side front suspension goes through full suspension travel it kind of clunks at low speeds.

My ride was bouncy and clunky , however she has 160,000 on her .. no code on shocks but as you suggested full travel, especially over speed bumps and the like. I haven't tried the new shocks yet due to dealer issues on my motor. but soon I hope..

subscribed. I need shocks on mine as well. can you give more detail on to what you bought/where/etc?

subscribed. I need shocks on mine as well. can you give more detail on to what you bought/where/etc?

This item:ACDelco 580-1061 GM Original Equipment Front Shock Absorber $526.72 In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
FREE Shipping. Details

<label><input name="offeringID.2" style="display: inline-block;" type="checkbox" CHECKED="" value="6MH75rifIQIERR7nbqGl3Uc0HZcpqtf3Gl0c9Wg8bFYWyByTzaSqx6UxxpFvgDV9woSb1ah8EGCoYrJ9kJyvNUtjdyiBgIMUZSDG6qSW%2FsohxBoMzGZB3g%3D%3D">ACDelco 580-1063 GM Original Equipment Rear Passenger Side Shock Absorber $473.29 In Stock.
FREE Shipping. Details

</label>

<label><input name="offeringID.3" style="display: inline-block;" type="checkbox" CHECKED="" value="6MH75rifIQIERR7nbqGl3Xq0mRZ%2FWW11i16puoSOZS9XCxi9M3Fd17RQdXaZYNTYmV7FSA7cvtUUtk2lHMgOz0HDBbvvxIznQ4EEFO6%2BxKI09g4ChOvxyg%3D%3D">ACDelco 580-1062 GM Original Equipment Rear Driver Side Shock Absorber $441.97 In Stock.
FREE Shipping. Details

</label>

Difference between driver's side and passenger side rear shocks?

Does anyone know the difference between the driver's side and the passenger side rear shocks on the 2005 XLR? I bought the full set on Amazon (best prices I have found so far). They are AC-Delco direct replacement shocks with different parts numbers on them and one cost more than the other.
They look exactly alike to me and are stamped on top with "L R". I have looked at the shocks still mounted on the car and can't see any difference jumping out at me there either. In my search to find the difference, I read a remark by someone who had just replaced his shocks and one side of the XLR was sitting lower than the other. Don't want this to happen to me! Plus, for this price, I want to be able to exchange the "wrong" one rather than buy another "correct" one.

Thanks for any info!
Only6Made.

Does anyone know the difference between the driver's side and the passenger side rear shocks on the 2005 XLR? I bought the full set on Amazon (best prices I have found so far). They are AC-Delco direct replacement shocks with different parts numbers on them and one cost more than the other.
They look exactly alike to me and are stamped on top with "L R". I have looked at the shocks still mounted on the car and can't see any difference jumping out at me there either. In my search to find the difference, I read a remark by someone who had just replaced his shocks and one side of the XLR was sitting lower than the other. Don't want this to happen to me! Plus, for this price, I want to be able to exchange the "wrong" one rather than buy another "correct" one.

Thanks for any info!
Only6Made.

I asked about that once because it seems most any passenger side part costs more than the driver's side (check it out, you'll see what I mean). Turns out there's no particular reason, that's just the way it is. :dunno: So, to my knowledge, there isn't any difference other than different sides & different prices.

Here's a link to where I asked: Why do passenger-side XLR parts all cost more?

Last edited:
Thanks XLRATING

I asked about that once because it seems most any passenger side part costs more than the driver's side (check it out, you'll see what I mean). Turns out there's no particular reason, that's just the way it is. :dunno: So, to my knowledge, there isn't any difference other than different sides & different prices.

Thanks XLRATING,
Makes "perfect" sense to me...

It's because in most XLRs, the passenger is a woman (you and Sandy being NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS).

We all know that most stuff costs more for a woman (dry cleaning, etc.)

It's because in most XLRs, the passenger is a woman (you and Sandy being NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS).

We all know that most stuff costs more for a woman (dry cleaning, etc.)

:laugh: Yes, I hate sexist car part pricing too!! That probably makes as much sense as any other explanation ...

Mad_Trbo,

Did you need new shocks. the reason I am asking is because i have the same issue. at low speeds there is a clunk or popping noise coming from the front end. I was wondering if the shocks would cause that or if I have something else broken on the front end. Thanks.

2006 front shock replacement

Mad_Trbo,

Did you need new shocks. the reason I am asking is because i have the same issue. at low speeds there is a clunk or popping noise coming from the front end. I was wondering if the shocks would cause that or if I have something else broken on the front end. Thanks.

I just replaced the front shocks @ 185K miles (2006 XLR). The clunk was minimized but still there. I suspect I need new ball joints or bushings. Purchased them on e-bay, new approx. $500 each. simple to install.

Check the spring adjuster bolts. I have found both of mine broken off. I think this last one was adding to a clunk in the front suspension. Although I think one of the upper ball joints was going bad also.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom