Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Tunnel Heat Fix? (Aerogel)

David_B

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
N/Z
So I've done a bunch of research into the "center tunnel burns my leg off" problem.

I have a 2004, and was reading the C7 uses something called aerogel. "NASA Space Age ultra material" or something like that.

So I looked around and found this.

BuyAerogel.com | Thermal Wrap™ 8-mm Blanket

So I bought a 1ft by 30 inch piece, 100 bucks or so. I'll glue it to the vertical surface of the tunnel under the carpet and see what it does.

After I get my exhaust on. LOL :cool:

So I've done a bunch of research into the "center tunnel burns my leg off" problem.

I have a 2004, and was reading the C7 uses something called aerogel. "NASA Space Age ultra material" or something like that.

So I looked around and found this.

BuyAerogel.com | Thermal Wrap[emoji769] 8-mm Blanket

So I bought a 1ft by 30 inch piece, 100 bucks or so. I'll glue it to the vertical surface of the tunnel under the carpet and see what it does.

After I get my exhaust on. LOL :cool:

I had the same problem so when they were installing my Corsa kit, I had them bolt this tunnel cover to replace the stock piece of cut sheet metal. Made a world of difference.

Amazon.com: 1/4" Thick Corvette Aluminum Ceramic Coated Tunnel Plate WITH Thermal-Abs: Automotive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there, done that : )

David, on mine I made my own plate out of 1/4" aluminum for a bit greater rigidity. Used OEM plate as a template. Put on sticky one side peel off corrugated type aluminum insulation matting (eBay). Stuck it to the bottom of the plate I made, and then did one more thing. Last one VERY important so you don't end up with a sticky mess on your exhaust should the heat cause the adhesive to let go. At every other bolt hole and across the plate, I used 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum 'L' channel with one flat side up. Drilled holes in each end of these cross pieces to support the aluminum insulation against the plate, and installed them front to back with a galvanized flat washer on each end. This using the existing bolt holes. --- Has never let go, and yes, it did solve the heat problem. ---I faced the inside of the 'L' side aluminum channel towards the front of the car to create more wind turbulence to aid in additional cooling when moving. I was able to install everything without dropping the exhaust by sliding the plate up and in from the rear side on a bit of a side angle. Did put the self adhesive insulation on the plate first, adhered to the plate and had pre punched out the holes for the bolts. Afterwards the L channels. The very front section of L channel I had to notch and radius to clear the front U Joint and driveshaft. All together, took me about 3 hours. Total cost, best recollection (?) around $70.00 to $80.00. --- Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your input guys! It's some of what I read in Corvette forums. For everyone that has success there are others that say it just delays the heat after doing those tunnel plate mods.

I can verify, after about 8 to 10 hours of driving, it can get very toasty. It seems to also depend on the prevailing winds. Sometimes after 8 hours it's fine, other times it's very hot.

What we are all trying to do is insulate the heat from the interior, eventually the sides of the tunnel will heat up. I've seen people put your insulation on the sides of the vertical walls of the lower tunnel too CNC.

I'll tell you how the Aerogel alone works.

Thanks for your input guys! It's some of what I read in Corvette forums. For everyone that has success there are others that say it just delays the heat after doing those tunnel plate mods.

I can verify, after about 8 to 10 hours of driving, it can get very toasty. It seems to also depend on the prevailing winds. Sometimes after 8 hours it's fine, other times it's very hot.

What we are all trying to do is insulate the heat from the interior, eventually the sides of the tunnel will heat up. I've seen people put your insulation on the sides of the vertical walls of the lower tunnel too CNC.

I'll tell you how the Aerogel alone works.

That's interesting. I don't take my XLR much past a 100 mile radius. That gets me any of the Ventura, LA and Orange County beaches and most of the Mountains. So I can't say as I've experienced any sustained 8-10 hour stints behind the wheel. I have occasionally driven to a job on a beautiful 75* LA morning only to come home in a 105+* afternoon. Top up... Air on... Cooled seat...I'm a happy camper even in traffic!
Stay frosty[emoji267][emoji41][emoji267]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, A bit more input. : )

I did this new plate and insulation mod now over two years ago. And, I forgot. I did wrap the insulation up the side of the tunnel on both sides and over the top in an upside down 'U' and fastened it using aluminum channel to retain. (just can't remember the details of how I fastened it ?) before I installed the insulated plate I made. Everything has held. Took the car on a 2,000+ mile round trip afterwards on The Montana Rocket Run, and had no, '0' heat issues inside at the console. No more 'leg' heat sauna at all. :cool: I do agree, it was very annoying.

I ended up ordering the precut heat shield. Only 99$.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WOW. Great Deal

I ended up ordering the precut heat shield. Only 99$.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back when, at the time I priced the pre-made ones, they were around $350.00 if I recall correctly. Had I found one for that price I would have bought it also. :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom