Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

OBD Not Working

David XLR-V

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V, Raven black
I am getting a new fob programmed as a backup, currently I only have one working fob. The dealer, and later a key service shop, both informed me they can't get a reading from the obd 2(?) when they plug it in to program this new key.
Has anyone else heard of or experienced this same issue?
I have a 2006 xlr v with 65000 miles, live in Arizona, and have no other issues with the car other then a bad knock sensor that triggers my check engine light. Wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it, but wanted to include all of the information.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

So the the cadillac dealer had difficulty connecting to your DTC port/PCM?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

So the the cadillac dealer had difficulty connecting to your DTC port/PCM?

It sounds like they were able to plug in the diagnostic reader no problem, it just wouldn't read anything. They tried 4 other ones in the shop too just in case it was the reader but no such luck. It's strange, I have a friend at Brake Masters who plugged his in and it works as in it's pulling my check engine light bad knock sensor code...?

Here are pictures of the diagnostic reader he had and used which is obviously working. He does not know how to program a fob though. My other question would be whether or not this reader is capable of programming a fob, or are the dealerships (and lock shop I went to) using a different one that maybe has that functionality where the "Snap-On" one here shown in this picture does not...?
20170329_171828.jpg20170329_172225.jpg

I'm at a loss.

They are using CANDi aren't they?
The dealer should know that this is a CAN network. I posted a link to manually program the key fob above.

I would try disconnecting the battery at the negative battery cable and then try to access with Tech 2, but I am sure caddy did that

Not disagreeing at all, but _should_!!! It wouldn't be the first time...
Haha, you may be right, but in there defense most caddies since about 2005 have been CAN network, they even used 2 different Tech 2s...

I have been racking my mind, I vaguely recall this happening before

Haha, you may be right, but in there defense most caddies since about 2005 have been CAN network, they even used 2 different Tech 2s...

I have been racking my mind, I vaguely recall this happening before

There is a section in the w/s manual about what to do when a car refuses to scan correctly. And yes, I seem to think I have read of this before too. Some years back, on this forum.

Here is one:
82 TSB No.: 01491B NHTSA No.: 10007664 TSB Date: January 1, 2004 Date Added to File: July 7, 2004
Failing Component: Electrical System
Summary: Tech 2 will not communicate with the vehicle.
2004 Cadillac XLR Service Bulletins

Here is another (old)
[url]https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5705.html

[/URL]

Last edited:
Go to this link and review what Logan posted and then look at the reply right below Logans. It is also a 2006. I am bodybyfisher on that forum

2006 STS remote start and trunk release button not working - Cadillac CTS, STS 2005+, 04-09 SRX, CTS Sport Wagon (Sigma) - CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thanks for this link and info. My only fear is what if I erase my working fob to follow the process outlined here, and am unable to program them either of them after!
Not saying that would happen, just trying to do some risk management here :).
There was an interesting point on there about the check engine light. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...?

I just sent a note to my buddy at caddyinfo, he had an xlr, maybe he will recall something.

Check the info above from xlrlist01 similar issue

Thanks everyone for your time in helping me solve this. What keeps bugging me is my friend at brake masters scan tool seems to be working! See my pics above...

Thanks everyone for your time in helping me solve this. What keeps bugging me is my friend at brake masters scan tool seems to be working! See my pics above...

Yes it is working for codes, but the keyfob is in the BCM. Its the BCM that is not communicating. Have your friend check for U network codes, maybe the BCM has a network error. That said, consider what I said above as a guide, I am not experienced with your systems, it may or may not have a.BCM but the concept holds the.same

Yes it is working for codes, but the keyfob is in the BCM. Its the BCM that is not communicating. Have your friend check for U network codes, maybe the BCM has a network error. That said, consider what I said above as a guide, I am not experienced with your systems, it may or may not have a.BCM but the concept holds the.same

I will, thanks. I'll return and post the solution as soon as I get it figured out.

You have a.lot of reading to do, if.you solve it I would let the dealer know, but I am a nice guy lol

Have you had battery problems recently? Are the connections at the battery clean and tight? Have you been jumped? Try disconnecting the negative cable and letting the system reboot. Get all codes P, B and C codes and post them

Terrific, an odd fix however. Did fuse 18 repair then allow the PCM to be accessed/read?, and then you were able to program the key fob?

What year is your car?, I am curious what other things fuse 18 is responsible for. I want to call up the owners manual.

It was a strange fix for that issue, but yes, fuse 18 (rear window defroster?) somehow impeded the scan tool from reading anything. Just a blank screen until the burned out one was replaced. I have a 2006 xlr v with 65,000 miles on it.

Very Interesting David, I am very curious and if I find anything Ill report back. Glad you are in good shape now. Thx

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back