Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

oil leak. More irritating and smelly than anything else.

Kennadian

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Crimson Pearl
So my 05 has had a small leak for sometime. We shampooed the engine a few months ago and it stopped for a little while or the volume was so small that it took awhile to build up again. The local dealer advised that there is a gasket that fits between the engine hemispheres and THAT is the source. Only $2000 to fix. Does anybody else have anything to say about this? I have no confidence in the dealer as they have tried to scam me in the past on things like the tpms stems. The car has only 50,000 miles on it and is otherwise perfect. :dunno:

I would take it to someone that knows Northstar engines that you trust and have them look at it. The lower crankcase leak you mention was supposedly fixed after 2000 but not unheard of. Lots of comments on cam actuators leaking, which is just an O ring replacement and valve cover gaskets. Here is a previous discussion. Phrede's probably represents the most common leaks.

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...6254-oil-leak-survey-post41954.html#post41954

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think I'd stay at least 10 miles away from that dealer's service department :nono:

If I remember correctly, the gaskets are silicon and my guess is age rather than mileage is what is getting you. We’ve had them replaced on both our XLR’s at mileage lower than yours (one was maybe 20k miles).

$2000 is about right for fixing it. Most of the cost is labor. Everything is all packed in there so you have to drop the engine to get to it. You may want to get ALL the seals checked on while you’re at it so you don’t have to pay to go back in later.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom