Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Pioneer 4500NEX plus 5 channel amplifier?

DB2

2008 XLR

I’ve been looking into replacing the factory stereo unit with a pioneer. I am technically challenged, so please speak dummy to me.

One audio installer told me he just completed this with another XLR. He told me two things I’d like to confirm:

1) original unit must be put somewhere in trunk in order to retain cruise control and some other functions

2) in addition to the pioneer unit I need a 5 channel amplifier

True?

Any advice is welcome

DB2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For #1 - you do not need to keep your original head unit in the car - I do not and everything works fine... the wiring diagrams show that some of the connections (like steering wheel controls and class2 data) go through the old stock radio, but they are simply passed through - so the installer should be able to just connect the two sets of lines to pass the signal through

For #2 - you do not need an external amplifier unless you want one... I do not and the stock Bose amp works fine with my aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX

Good luck

Richardyoo,

Thank you so much. I will pass this info onto the installer (and hope he understands about connecting wires because I do not). He wants $400 just for the amp and in all these threads about aftermarket installs no one mentions an additional amp (which I don’t want or need).

An after market info center ???

DB2.

Few years ago REXSTER an XLR member is one of the first to install an after market sound sytem.

He is showing how to get the power on the CD connectors in order to avoid the system, the car do not like the after market accessories, this way a radio other then GM could be installed.

I would suggested to read his thread.

It is a lot of moneys for an updated entertainment center, at one time I visit a fine and knowledgeable radio shop for an updated unit, he did not recommended the changes as it could create other electrical problems.

It is a matter of choice.

IAN:wave:

Nope, you don't need any of the OEM stuff to get an aftermarket unit to work. You won't have radio info in the HUD, small loss
There are a couple of wires (audio) that you have to jump to get the sound to the speakers. The diagram for this is in my 4 year old post. They also had an adapter for the OEM gps antenna wire so you can use the stock gps antenna.
I had to send my Kenwood off today to the repair service. It has a boot loop problem. Which, I've read is not uncommon for it to happen. Most of the time you have to have a circuit board replaced.

Rexter,

Thanks for your response. I had read your post from a few years ago prior to this query. Because I’m a tech dummy, I didn’t realize that your diagrams would be universal regardless of which aftermarket brand I go with. Initially I was just going to go with kenwood, but I’ve learned Pioneer is more user friendly (which I need). I’ll go screen shot that diagram you posted for when I move forward with this (just gathering info before I commit).

DB2

Thank you so much. I will pass this info onto the installer (and hope he understands about connecting wires because I do not). He wants $400 just for the amp and in all these threads about aftermarket installs no one mentions an additional amp (which I don’t want or need).

I did all the work myself so I know you don't need to keep the original radio, nor need a new amp....

if the installer says its not possible you need to find a different shop

Good luck

I have never done a radio swap nor listen to radio but I have read a lot of post that without the factory amplifier the adaptive cruise will not work. So you are saying that is not true?

I installed a pioneer avic 7200 nex in my 04. AS stated, no old head unit in trunk. It uses the stock Bose amp triggered by the power antenna lead on the pioneer. A few jumpers on the cd plugs and a steering wheel adapter module, simple. Hardest part is the esthetics, The pioneer is slightly smaller than the stock head unit width wise. I posted the exact install on this site a while back. Use search.

I installed a pioneer avic 7200 nex in my 04. AS stated, no old head unit in trunk. It uses the stock Bose amp triggered by the power antenna lead on the pioneer. A few jumpers on the cd plugs and a steering wheel adapter module, simple. Hardest part is the esthetics, The pioneer is slightly smaller than the stock head unit width wise. I posted the exact install on this site a while back. Use search.

Josua,

We’re you able to retain the original dash with your instal? If so, how?

Josua,

Search doesn’t result in anything. Do you recall what your previous thread was called? I know I saw it a while back. Seems topics get buried here. . .

After market accessorie.

Sally.

I have heard the same, perhaps they could not solve the problem, however I like to read some one who did installed an after market sound system with success and they are please with it.

I personally stay away and from having problems with the car, the XLR electrical do not like the after market accessories.

Is this a GM tall story ??

IAN :wave:

DB2, The only thing different is the head unit. All the trim around the radio is stock.Also, cruise is not affected at all. I saved all the install instructions as multiple jpeg's.. I just have to figure out how to post them. On the same note, can you just look up somebody's posts? Might be quicker.

After market sound system

Josua

I beleive this is the unit you have mentioned with other necessary components.

IAN :wave:

1       CD plug[1] (5).jpg1    avic7200nex[3] (2).jpg1    avic7200nex[3] (4).jpg1     s-l1600[1] (2).jpg1   s-l1600[1] (3).jpg1 2s   -l1600[1].jpg

After market sound system

DB2

Enclosed are some photos of the pioner 4500nex sound system and its installation components.

If you make this choice, ( 1500$ +/- ) many seller$ are having different prices, be sure that the connectors are all included in the boxe.

Find also a photo that shows the installation kits that are required, for an XLR updated latest pionner sound system.

Good Luck

IAN :dunno:

96A64319-FA20-473B-8677-DD57F07312DB.thumb.jpeg.c5067fb3d5039912778c2e27b20f4b56[1].jpg17FBA646-4817-4036-8282-F0CD8834BF86.jpeg.cc366533e81a147dfab49503e330b64c[1].jpgg130AVW4500-o_other0[2].jpgg130AVW4500-o_other2[2].jpgg130AVW4500-o_other1[2].jpg7782D0B0-5D70-46E0-AD6F-5F28FE77DB14.thumb.jpeg.cf5e9b7c6f1b71db7de8bc7ce58f8f4e[1].jpg

DB2

Enclosed are some photos of the pioner 4500nex sound system and its installation components.

If you make this choice, ( 1500$ +/- ) many seller$ are having different prices, be sure that the connectors are all included in the boxe.

Find also a photo that shows the installation kits that are required, for an XLR updated latest pionner sound system.

Good Luck

IAN :dunno:

View attachment 9664View attachment 9665View attachment 9666View attachment 9667View attachment 9668View attachment 9669

Ian,

I got a great deal on amazon for the Avic 7200 and because it’s got nav I went with it. Assuming it’s not refurbished (nowhere did I read that it was, I’ll keep it). Is it you or Josua who installed the 7200 (my head gets dizzy from all the welcomes input)? I know the 7200 fits and I can retain the original dash (face?). Also, you posted all the additional wires/connectors I need to get for the instal so I thought it was a great way to go. Someone (maybe you or Josua) also posted the process of how to instal which I will simply hand over to the guy I will have do it. I

Thanks for all the info

Debbie

Debbie,If you choose to go to an installer please let me know who you use. I have been wanting to instal an upgraded system but have been very Leary of having someone tearing my dash apart.
John F.

Debbie,If you choose to go to an installer please let me know who you use. I have been wanting to instal an upgraded system but have been very Leary of having someone tearing my dash apart.
John F.

John,

I’ll let you know. I’m in Santa Monica. I got quotes and spoke to several installers here in SM and Los Angeles. I think I’m going with a local guy for various reasons. He seems smart and said he’d fabricate something for me (if he had to) so I could keep the original dash. This was before I’d settled on a unit. If he’s crafty enough to fabricate, I figure his brain works in other problem solving matters that make him qualified for this job. I’ll follow up once it’s completed. Currently working on solving trunk falling issue as it’s a safety thing.

Debbie

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry