Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Power Seat Switch Cover remove & Grille Removal

CY1957-XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinum XLR 484
Hello. I have found the forum VERY helpful and interesting!
Had to replace my headlight washer cover and found old threads that were helpful.
VERY easy to do that and no silicone or crazy glue needed, just take off front inner wheel well and right there is access!

Searched thru quite a few topics but did not find anything on this (did not search thru all 86 topics though...LOL!).
Wanting to verify if you can just "pry off" the two Seat control levers (fwd-back/tilt) with say a "door panel tool", so the cover can be taken off? I bought a new NOS GM cover and would like to replace it, but do not want to do something stupid like break the levers!

Next question...I was told to remove the grilles, you have to take off the front bumper cover? Find that hard to believe but would not put it past GM to have to do that. I see the top fasteners are under the cover just above grill, so assuming if you take that cover off, maybe can get to the lower fasteners?
Thinking about taking grille out to paint it, but do not want to go thru taking off bumper cover.
Any help/advice would be appreciated !
Love the Mesh Grilles, but finding out they are not made any more in aftermarket.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• XLR_Power Seat Cover-LH.jpg
    XLR_Power Seat Cover-LH.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 60
The grill has tabs made on it. They go thru a square hole in the bumper cover they are old and you may break a couple of them trying to squeeze them closed to pull out of the bumper. Start on one side and work across the the bumper to the other side. Same thing when you get it off . to do any type quality painting you will need to remove the black plastic air deflector off the back of the grille.. Heating them helps to remove so you can use again. Just remember this isv20 year old plastic.also the grayish louvers of the grill are actually a very thin plating that is adhered to the grille. Some coating will release it and cause it to bubble up sort of like paint thinner in a Styrofoam cup.

Mickey,
Thanks for reply and info. I thought about doing something with the grille to make it look different. Being you can't get aftermarket Mesh grilles anymore; I am thinking other ideas.
I looked thru all the pics in the forum gallery, and have not seen anything done to grilles, other than the V/mesh style put in Base XLRs.
Being my XLR is silver, thinking if the grille was painted black, it would make it look more "modern", and then emblem would stand out more. The Chrome grilles from the Alpine White ones would be great, but again, another impossible find.
Thinking about using a vinyl wrap or "peel off paint" to see how it looks. At least that could be taken off if it does not look right. Any thoughts or pics from others would be helpful.

On my other topic, do those seat levers just "pry off"??
Thanks again.

Peel paint would be good or if you are very crafty some wrap. I did one in just a target silver metallic a almost black but not. I thought the black just made all the detail go away. Several photos on line of the solid black. I personally cannot be live people are still buying those arcaic looking bar grilles from the 80's. To me that's the worse look out there but I guess if you needed a grille and the cost of a used one about the same you might try it. I used a lot of 09 grilles but now there are no more so I'm saving what I have left for actual 09 cars. Crazy the v style sell for 700-1000 when the show up. I have a couple but again if I ever need one foe a real v its worth more to keep it than sell it. Buttons pop off with a fair amount of force

Thanks for info Mickey!
Yes, looked for used Base grilles, and even damaged ones, if you find them are like $400+.
Not spending that for "experimental" purposes! May go the peel paint or wrap when I get around to it.
Just got the car a month ago, so want to drive it for rest of summer.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom