Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Power top pump motor runs continuously

vince2006

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
2006 XLR base with 75K. Top Hydraulics rebuilt pump installed and working great from June 2019 to November 2019. Today while putting the top back up after a warm day all was fine except once fully closed the pump motor kept running. I decided to drop the top and see what would happened, top retracted into trunk but the next step of tonneau had no movement. At this point if I cycled the power to switch to the top it moved 1/2 inch to bottom of trunk, pump motor would stop for a split second, top would go back up 1/2 inch with motor still running continuously. I don't think the top made it all the way to bottom, maybe an inch or 2 short.

Never any warnings on the DIC, I did smell hydraulic fluid in trunk, reservoir is above the add line, no fluid in trunk area, pump not hot to the touch, and worst of all no Tech2.

Top was put back up, windows put down, and battery disconnected so I could pull the center wire harness from control unit next to pump. Waited a few hours plugged everything back and now pump still runs continuously but no movement or dinging when power top switch is engaged. Trunk will still will open with key fob automatically.

I couldn't be the only person who has had this problem and hoping someone could tell me their fix or point me in the right direction.

My Local Cadillac dealer is very good and has a great XLR technician just hoping to fix it and then let dealer do the relearn if needed.

If the admin could move this post to [h=2]Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion[/h]

I am unable to make this edit

Last edited:
Update to my folding top issue. My Cadillac dealer determined the Folding Top Module was faulty. The internal switch for direction A was stuck on positive side causing the motor to run non stop. Hilton Head Cadillac was able to obtain a new module over night from GM. Installed it, did a relearn and I am fixed.

The module part# (25840734) came with a 2 year 24K parts and labor warranty. I did keep my old one after reading some post on this forum.

Very impressed with my Dealer and feel fortunate to have such a talented XLR Technician. When I picked up today 3 other XLR's were in for maintenance.

Special thanks to this forum that has a wealth of XLR information.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom