Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Problems Top and Trunk operation

Top and Trunk issue

The top will not move and the trunk will not open, either with the remote or the buttons in the car. This weekend I am going to check the hydraulic fluid.

are you trying to perform trunk open with car running? always operate trunk or top open/close with car running.
trunk isnt mandatory, but top operation is...
top hydraulics are very hard on the battery. also the battery in the xlr is known to get weak due to constant electronic drains.
have you tried opening trunk with button on dashboard? button on key fob ? button on trunk lid?
sometimes my trunk lid switch wont activate, so i just use the switch on the dash.

does it make any sounds, clicks, groans, anything?
and you can unlock the trunk with the key to open it manually, easier with two people, one to turn the key, the other to lift the trunk.
it is very heavy...
once open, can you press the trunk close button and does it use the hydraulics to close and latch the trunk??

these cars have some gremlins, sometimes things just wont work, until you get it to re-recognize its status, and then its all fine again.
like top position, trunk position, if its confused, it will just stop working.

Try unhooking the battery for about 5 minutes, sometimes that will cure "electrical gremlins' by resetting things. Also make sure your battery is good and make sure you are trying to operate the top with the car running. If no luck then it needs to get plugged into a tech II to see if there is anything wonky.

Trunk and top will not open, cadillac dealer says i need to replace modules and wiring in the truck. Will cost anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000. Its a 2005 with 45,000 miles.

It took me 2 years to find the parts / modules to fix that issue. I finally got them and made an appointment to get it fixed and my car got flooded in a storm. Let me know if you need the modules.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom