Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

'Rides'

buki

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
Velocity replayed the 2004 'Rides' episode involving the redo of the XLR by Chip Foose for the SEMA show today.

I assume the show is on Netflix or the Rides website but I haven't checked. I had no interest in an XLR at the time and I don't believe 'Rides' was in full distribution 10 years ago.

If you saw it I'd like to know if your reaction is the same as mine. Here are the questions I'd like for you to address:

1. Your overall impression of the finished product...

2. Did Foose's modifications improve on an already perfect design in your opinion...especially his redesign of the front and rear fascias and the stainless steel top...

3. What ever happened to that car? Does any forum member currently own it? What did it sell for? Where is it?

Jump right in.

i did not see the show, but from what i can see online in pictures i do not like it.
seems to mimic a euro color scheme like rolls royce or mercedes, but the effect isnt the same.
it doesnt make the car look elegant or accentuate the design of the car.
it looks like a really bad attempt at a two tone paint job, and makes the car look fat.
the cockpit is small and looks great when the color is all the same, but to accentuate it with the silver paint makes it look
abnormally small, like the head of beetlejuice in the movie.

Yeah from the tail end of what I saw of the show I agree. The two tone really takes away from the car.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

+1 I'm not a fan of two tone XLRs either. Two tone is OK on some cars, but not with our "edgy" look. It was discussed briefly with my painter in the beginning of the planning stages.

Unfortunately it seems to be a primer for 'how to make a XLR a pimpmobile.' Surely GM didn't buy it for their collection. I'm a Foose fan but he missed that one a mile and more.

The 64,000 question

I was at the 2014 SEMA and Foose was there, but I never have the time to stand in the very, very long line, but that is one of the questions I'd like to know. I saw the episode, but the only thing I can say I liked was the stainless steel top. I'd like to know where one could purchase it. As for the over-all them of the car? I wasn't feeling it. Chip did re-due the front bumper I recall, but seriously I think the 2009 bumber looks way better. I didn't like the paint nor the the wheels.

foose ugly

That car was for sale on e-bay a couple of years ago,...around $40,000.00. Didn`t sell right away.

Both cars were supplied and owned by Lund Cadillac of Pheonix, AZ. Lund owned the rights to the upgrades that Chip Foose designed. The one modification that I did like was the stainless steel roof panel. Tried a few times to contact Lund to get pricing, but never received a return call or email.
:cool:

Chip Foose, Foose Design

Last edited:
The roof panel was cool. It was created by a specialized manufacturing company that said they could ramp up to produce more, but probably never did.

again, i didnt see the show, but SS is very heavy, so unless it was really thin, it probably weighed more than stock?
from my days of custom seadoo PWC, i have seen several excellently made custom hulls from carbon fiber, they weighed less than 1/2 what the original hull weighed and were stronger. original hulls were fiberglass.
i am sure anyone good at laying up carbon fiber parts, could make a mold easily from our original top parts
and custom make replacement CF panels for the XLR.
1) huge weight savings
2) stronger
3) take a major load off the top mechanisms
4) cool factor
5) could leave it carbon fiber with clearcoat for totally exotic look
or could paint it to match factory color.
in fact i bet with a few pre ordered a good CF shop could do it for a relatively reasonable price...
hmmm i am going to look into this, i got a buddy who loves to make stuff from CF!!!!!!!!!!!!
anybody know of any spare roof parts i could get to mold from ???????? leftovers from a wreck perhaps ??
how many pieces are there, just two i think, top and rear window surround.
anyone got schematics on how to pop the panels from the subframes?

should probably do trunk lid while we are at it... that thing is beefy!!

The insert if I remember correctly, was a thin stainless steel insert that was applied to the existing OEM roof panel. Carbon fiber would also be a nice touch.......imho.
:cool:

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
voila!
need part # 1 and part # 4
#1 is $961 10365006
#4 is $816 10365004
need to find a wreck :)
or go all in and disassemble my car!

BL04330.gif

then for the trunk, same problem need a donor, or a wreck.

#1 is $1026 10365174
BL04430.gif

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry