Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run-in Period - New rotors and brake pads

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven, Ebony
Does anyone have any recommendations or if GM has Run-in procedures on new rotors and pads? I was asked the question by my Mechanic and he said he would look it up. I thought I would post this to see what others have done.
:thumbsupTim

I know Hawk Performance pads have a bed-in procedure, but can't answer your question on OEM pads and rotors. We'll miss you guys this weekend! :(

Does anyone have any recommendations or if GM has Run-in procedures on new rotors and pads? I was asked the question by my Mechanic and he said he would look it up. I thought I would post this to see what others have done.
:thumbsupTim

Yes, we are bummed we are missing out. Sounds like you will have quite a gathering. Putting the powder coated calipers with Eline slotted and drilled rotors with Posi-quiet pads. The pads had good reviews on the Corvette forums. I'll look at the R1concepts/Posi-Quiet site. They probably have something. Thanks for the info.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Break in - Brakes

Hey Tim- according to the owners manual-

• Avoid making hard stops for the first
200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time
your new brake linings are not yet
broken in. Hard stops with new linings can
mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake
linings.

Yes, we are bummed we are missing out. Sounds like you will have quite a gathering. Putting the powder coated calipers with Eline slotted and drilled rotors with Posi-quiet pads. The pads had good reviews on the Corvette forums. I'll look at the R1concepts/Posi-Quiet site. They probably have something. Thanks for the info.
Tim

Mitch,
Deke said that he was going to crank up the XLR and get the pads glowing red (he was just pulling my chain). He has put the same kind on his Mazda, so he was going to run them in. They are pre-scorched which reduces run-in.
Tim

Hey Tim- according to the owners manual-

• Avoid making hard stops for the first
200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time
your new brake linings are not yet
broken in. Hard stops with new linings can
mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake
linings.

I believe that the GM recommendation is a very conservative approach, as always. Lawyers are their top consultants for manuals not mechanics or engineers.

Mitch,
Deke said that he was going to crank up the XLR and get the pads glowing red (he was just pulling my chain). He has put the same kind on his Mazda, so he was going to run them in. They are pre-scorched which reduces run-in.
Tim

"pre-schorced"?? How can that be when this is the first time the pads have met the rotors? Raising the temperature IS important.

Phrede,
Off of Centric's website. Also, good article on breaking in the new rotors, thanks.

Scorching
Posi Quiet brake pads are scorched to accelerate the break-in process. This OEM process enhances key friction performance levels. Scorching raises initial cold effectiveness, stabilizes friction levels right out of the box, provides consistent performance across the entire operating range.
During the scorching phase; each brake pad surface is super-heated to simulate the initial break-in process performed by installation technicians. This additional step removes any uncured bonding agents eliminating the need for initial break-in and reducing noise caused by pad glazing. Scorching thermally conditions the pad material which yields a more consistent and higher friction level right out of the box.
Scorching benefits the vehicle owner by promoting a more complete bed-in of new pads, increasing the effective stopping power from the first stop.

Yes, sitting here watching it rain, I think it has been inside most of the time, though. I'll post pictures of the new set up.

It's usually referred to as a pre-bedded pad usually used for racers to avoid initial installation
problems of no, slow, and/or erratic braking during first few laps. The new pad is heated to
remove coatings/compounds formed during manufacture. Probably not really necessary for a
street car but certainly won't hurt anything. Have fun and stay dry!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom