Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Should I keep the original engine?

Big Duck

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V Alpine
Had the rod bearings go out on my XLR-V and put in a new factory engine. Is it worth keeping the original? Lots of sparkles in the oil.:mad:

Had the rod bearings go out on my XLR-V and put in a new factory engine. Is it worth keeping the original? Lots of sparkles in the oil.:mad:

NO you should give it to me!!! lol seriously, what all do you still have? did they replace heads and all, or short block. sensors, intake etc?? I would think it would also depend if you have a place to store it, and ability to repair for future use. If you have to hire everything, then likely not a lot of value, but if you can do it, may have a future value.

What was the cause of failure?

What was the cause of failure?

I'll go out on a limb here, Mike, and guess that it likely was the "sparkles".

:laugh:

Sorry for that. Nothin' going on here X4 the boring Pro Bowl, and watching the snow start to accumulate. ;)

Should I keep the original engine

Big Duck
Did your V ever overheat or run low on oil ? How many miles and how long have you owned it. I'm only asking because I own the same engine. I've only heard of a few of these engines going bad. Good luck with the new one.
V Happy

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb here, Mike, and guess that it likely was the "sparkles".

:laugh:

Sorry for that. Nothin' going on here X4 the boring Pro Bowl, and watching the snow start to accumulate. ;)

Thanks for that Tim, I'm sure I'd of never figured that out :blinzel:..I suppose yours is resting for the winter out there in the mountains?

Thanks for that Tim, I'm sure I'd of never figured that out :blinzel:..I suppose yours is resting for the winter out there in the mountains?

Actually, Mike, it's used all the time. I usually wait until the streets are clear, but not always. It actually does surprisingly well in the snow & ice. Light touch required! I learned to drive in northern Minnesota, and the roads stayed snow-packed there most all winter. Nowadays, they salt and plow them, so folks avoid the "joy" of driving on packed ice, with coal cinders on them. Hard to explain to folks, who are not from where there is real cold, what it's like to drive on lakes and unplowed roads.

I'll likely drive "Daphne" out to California again in early March. We have a birthday to be there for (94th), and we'll be ready to get out of the winter scene by then. It's always a blast to give "Daphne" a shot of oxygen, for a change, from the really low altitude around the desert. It's like she's a different machine. What a difference oxygen makes.

Just had to give you a little grief about the "sparkles". :chuckle

Tim

Since big duck hasn't been back I guess it should be ok to get off topic, though I wish he would respond with the cause of the "sparkles" :lol:
Tim, you still using those wheels? I did drive mine in 3-4 inches of snow in walmart parking lot on the way home from NY, where I bought it, and a couple inches on interstate and it behaved quite well also.

Sparkle cause

I just purchased the car with 9601 miles on it [2008 XLR-V] and at 10100 the rod bearings shredded. Upon inspection, several of the rod bottom ends have about 1/8th" of play to them and the oil pan is coated with "sparkling sand" there also was a audible knocking sound before its removal.
I found a new factory crate engine w/supercharger and swapped it out. Runs like a turpentined cat!!
Do not have any idea what happened to the car previous to my ownership.:dunno: It is so clean it appeared to have never driven through as much as a puddle. The AAA appraiser [totally independent of seller] said that it is one of the cleanest cars he has seen. Still has the plastic on the carpets.
Cost 8K to fix.:banghead:

I just purchased the car with 9601 miles on it [2008 XLR-V] and at 10100 the rod bearings shredded. Upon inspection, several of the rod bottom ends have about 1/8th" of play to them and the oil pan is coated with "sparkling sand" there also was a audible knocking sound before its removal.
I found a new factory crate engine w/supercharger and swapped it out. Runs like a turpentined cat!!
Do not have any idea what happened to the car previous to my ownership.:dunno: It is so clean it appeared to have never driven through as much as a puddle. The AAA appraiser [totally independent of seller] said that it is one of the cleanest cars he has seen. Still has the plastic on the carpets.
Cost 8K to fix.:banghead:

OUCH! Hope you really bought It right.

Ouch! My 06 was purchased "as is" but I purchased an extended warranty before I drove off the dealer's lot. Not trying to be a smart ass............... I made a claim on it within a month of purchase due to a split radiator tank.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom