Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

speaker grill retainer in the seats

TheOldMan

My XLR/V(s)
2007 black/black xlr base
Has anyone heard of someone reproducing these speaker grill retainers? If so,
can you post who has done this and how to get in touch with that individual?
I am in need of two cause I am in the middle of replacing my driver side seat back leather.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 71
Has anyone heard of someone reproducing these speaker grill retainers? If so,
can you post who has done this and how to get in touch with that individual?
I am in need of two cause I am in the middle of replacing my driver side seat back leather.
Thanks.
Any luck? I need the same

Reviving this thread. I need both for driver's seat. I have a friend that can write the gcode for 3D printing, and I have a printer. Working with the op and will post up our progress. Show of hands, anybody else in need?

I actually bought a set of used seats for $ 300.00. I didn't need the seat covers, but I did need the ducts for cooling and the speaker grills. Also have other parts that I'm sure I will need in the future.

I am in need of a pair also.

Update Feb. 29th, 2024, Seat Speaker Retaining Ring.

Received some drawings for the part and attempted to do a drawing myself. Sent my drawing to the CAD guy and as he tried to model it, it wasn't working. The op, "TheOldMan" has sent his ring straight to my CAD guy for clarification. I removed one from my car and it instantly became 4 parts, Thanks to the op for sending his part.

I've alerted CAD man to BOLO for the part and to check his email for updated drawings. We've discussed strengthening the tab to increase strength, it appears it can be thickened up a bit, so the tabs don't just snap off.
I expect some trial and error in the prototyping phase, however when we have a suitable part, I'll let y'all know.

I have the PETF filament and also bought a heater/dehumidifier for the filament roll, a pre-heater which as I understand benefits the material I'll use.

Attachments

• spkring05xlr -c1.jpeg
    spkring05xlr -c1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
We had a member that made them and i bought and used a dozen on them worked perfect. They were made with a product that is printed then baked and is more like a metal. Any 3d printing materail is made of lines of material that are bonded to each other. Anything this thin will not stand up. It will break at the joint lines. If you are a programmer and can write your own code you can make the part strong by printing in solid and the finest line you can then each pass has to be made at 90 degree angles to the last pass. . best metod woukd be to make a mold and injection mold them. Thats how the factory did. then with a carbon fiber product it would be strong enough.
By the way the member posted some for 40$ each and members thought he should give them away .
Goid luck when you get them done ill buy 6-8

What you say is correct mickeytee, the filament is ABS and the process you've said is called tempering. PETG is not suitable for this application. To print in ABS my setup will require some minor upgrades of which I'm in the process of doing. The attached photo is our prototype in ABS.

Attachments

• prototype3.jpg
    prototype3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Well at least its a part that does not have a lot of wear andbif you caj snap it on one time that shoukd be it. The four clip areas Really could be built up a bit and still not rub the covers evan a taper at the bade would help. All the parts people have made and sent me are made so thin to try and duplicate factory when they can be larger and thicker with no problems. Jusr remember the sun coming thru the window can heat them up to 100-120 degrees

Mickeytee thanks for the info. This is a try to replace a part that no one has. Just like
the outer headlight lens cover.... wish someone would reproduce these.
I bet prices for the real lights would go down quickly

Oh im all for making parts. Just that they need to be a solution to the problem. make them as good or better.
The cost to make lens is not really the issue. Finding a way to install them is..
as far as bringing prices down, you are correct. But as headlight prices come down so do the value of the lens. Ive seen it too many times on parts. I mentioned i used to sell used vvt actuatirs for 300$ which was a hundfed less than anyone else. As more people started parting out engines used ones got as low as two hundred.still a lot. Then off shore ones were made at 100$ for new. great and not a bad price. Demand was slow. Now those new ones are lixted at 25$ each on ebay. I bought a few because none ate selling but when these are gone i think the company will not make more. At twenty five dollars they are losing money.

We had a member that made them and i bought and used a dozen on them worked perfect. They were made with a product that is printed then baked and is more like a metal. Any 3d printing materail is made of lines of material that are bonded to each other. Anything this thin will not stand up. It will break at the joint lines. If you are a programmer and can write your own code you can make the part strong by printing in solid and the finest line you can then each pass has to be made at 90 degree angles to the last pass. . best metod woukd be to make a mold and injection mold them. Thats how the factory did. then with a carbon fiber product it would be strong enough.
By the way the member posted some for 40$ each and members thought he should give them away .
Goid luck when you get them done ill
Goid luck when you get them done ill buy 6-8
actually, unlike filament printing, SLA parts aren’t bonded layers, they are continuous, homogeneous solid that is “grown” in layers. As the resin is cured, it doesn’t just stick to the previous layer, it becomes a thicker surface. There are no layers, so no inherent weak points from the printing process.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom