Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The greatest invention for convertibles since sunscreen...

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
Living in Southern California allows me to drive around topless more often than not. Sometimes I need to park for a while and I really don't want to have to put the top up every single time I do. A car cover takes up a lot of space and too much time and effort for a half-hour coffee run. So, what if somebody invented a simple cap...like a shower cap for the car. Something that went on and off easy, folded up into a compact space and was made out of robust material that keeps the interior cool and protected from those nasty UV rays.

Enter the California Pop Top. Car Covers, Car Sun Shades - California PopTop Size C-16.

I met John Allen the inventor and proprietor of CA Pop Tops and purchased mine today. What a wonderful experience. What started out as a real garage-based business mainly for Camaros and Corvettes, has bloomed into Pop Tops for all kinds of vehicles...not just cars. It's a cover made with Dupont Tyvec and designed to go on and off with about the same effort as putting in a windshield blocker. It has a pouch sewn into it so it literally wraps up into a package not much bigger than a loaf of bread. So far, I'm very pleased with this solution.

It's too early to tell if this is a durable solution, but John seemed pretty sure of the product and actually gives out his phone number on every order in the event that someone has problem. That's a rarity in this day and age.

Just thought I'd pass this along. :thumbsup

20160612_000942288_iOS - Copy.jpg20160612_000933334_iOS - Copy.jpg20160612_000922362_iOS - Copy.jpg20160612_000851043_iOS - Copy.jpg20160612_000825148_iOS - Copy.jpg

While marginally better than leaving your top down and having pollen and dust blanket the interior, (especially at this time of year in many locations) there are too many unscrupulous people who need less than thirty seconds to lift the edge of this, and reach inside to remove anything in a storage compartment. One of the best attributes of a hardtop convertible is security when you can't physically see it when parked.

The XLR draws a lot of attention with the raised or lowered. Leaving the hardtop down and walking away is asking for trouble.

In the amount of time it takes to remove this from storage and install it, (and to me it looks pretty fugly - your shower cap description was spot-on) the top could be raised and securely locked into place.

If you've ever had an opportunistic thief cross your path, one minute of prevention (to raise the top) is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Just my .02,

CC :wave:

Last edited:
One of the things that drew me to this car was the "transformer" top. I would much rather show it off going up or down whether anyone is looking or not. <label for="rb_iconid_6">
icon6.gif
</label>
In the amount of time it would take to retrieve this "loaf" out of the trunk, open it up and spread it out over the car, I could have already popped the top up and been inside shopping or getting that mocha java crappacino

Well, since I sometimes make two or three stops, I really don't want to cycle the top that many times in day. I've already had the pump and module replaced once under warranty and I don't want to tempt fate.

I don't really think it makes a particularly attractive target for thieves since most of them want to steal what they can see into.

Finally, I don't know what a "mocha java crappacino" is. Must be something you boys in Texas drink in between poking cows and such. :D

Well, since I sometimes make two or three stops, I really don't want to cycle the top that many times in day. I've already had the pump and module replaced once under warranty and I don't want to tempt fate.

I don't really think it makes a particularly attractive target for thieves since most of them want to steal what they can see into.

Finally, I don't know what a "mocha java crappacino" is. Must be something you boys in Texas drink in between poking cows and such. :D

So long as you're happy with it, that's the main thing.

I make fun of all the coffee drinks from that evil place called Star*****. I call everything from there some kind of crappacino. Can't even get a good cup of regular coffee there

this could have its uses. its not as secure obviously. but having lived in several big cities i know thieves could care less about the hardtop being up, if they see something they like they will smash a window!
at least this saves your window...
they would slash a soft top too, so might as well let them in easy with this tyvek toupe!!! and save all your expensive car parts.
key is have nothing of value visible.
this actually serves that purpose. however the toupe effect attracts alot of attention
almost invites a peek underneath.
i could see myself using it occasionally.
how does it snap onto the trunk ?

how does it snap onto the trunk ?

It uses a plastic clip that hooks under the lip of the trunk at the center. A tension slide keeps it taut and the remaining two feet or so of cord are folded up, tied into a loose knot and laid into the trunk which acts as a theft deterrent for the cover.

I can see uses,,,,,

Rule,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I like it. :thumbsup

Thanks for posting!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry