Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The XLR tail lamps comception.

I believe someone else on here used the parts from an SRX taillight as a doner to fix his XLR tail light. Just some slight modifications and the circuit board and LED strips worked. Sat about $25 from wrecking yard.

KI Fireduck69.

Yes the SRX interior components of the tail lamps could be compatible with the XLR, they are presently on eBay selling for -+ $125, witch is still a good price compare for a $3000 for an XLR......simply ridicule.

However the leds life balance of the srx should still a poor lasting and it will eventualy to be service again, that mean cooking again the XLR tail lamp.

The tail lamps quality lens and the print circuit board has some limit….. the age of the car do not help also.

We are realy trap by the money makers is in it…
They probably know that there must be a 10,000 XLR on the road that the leds needs or will soon need replacements of them…. multiply $3000 for an old unit or $1500 for the repairs of one tail lamp and you will become very rich.

It is a shame that GM would let us down, by not having his supplier VALEO, i supposed so, as this is the name i found on a srx tail lamp, if the internal parts would be available ( at reasonable prices ) most of us would appreciate it is in it

HI XLR owners.

Refering to my posting of a couple of days ago for the red 3 led modules that i have purchase for testing their hi intensity and how good you can work with them, i would like to add that the lighting is variable also and each module can be secure in place with small screws.
Also the photos send out end up to be some attachements, i will try again to send to you again these photos so you can see what i am trying to inform you.

IAN
View attachment 8620

s-l1600[2] (2).jpg
HI XLR owners.

Refering to my posting of a couple of days ago for the red 3 led modules that i have purchase for testing their hi intensity and how good you can work with them, i would like to add that the lighting is variable also and each module can be secure in place with small screws.
Also the photos send out end up to be some attachements, i will try again to send to you again these photos so you can see what i am trying to inform you.

IAN
View attachment 8620

s-l1600[1] (13).jpgHi XLR owners.

Valeo syviana in 2015 was the winner to build the lamps of the cadillac escalade, the GM representative mention that the lamps will be a sealed item and sold only as one unit, will the lens got broken the owner will have to buy a complete unit in the $700. he also said the lamp will last for the life of the car….( sic)

A ''chum'' is a ''chum'' a Gm representative that speaks for its supplier….. we all know that the XLR tail lamp do not stand the life of the car, may be the GM representative, in his mind, the life of the XLR should have been perhaps a short life like the EV1 electric cars pulled away from their owners, for been scrap.

They seems to be the same supplier who has produced the lamps of the SRX, as i found their name on a tail lamp of an SRX, it looks that they could have produced also the ones for our XLR.

I found also a tail lamp Board circuit made by VALEO but only for the BMW, nothings for the XLR kind of curious is in it.

WE are trapped, neither GM or Valeo will come and help us with the availability of the services items for lamps, we will have to do by our own initiative, and perhaps end up with some truck round lamps on our fenders to pass the government inspections or to scrap it, ( happy salvage yards ) similar of what happened to this fine GM electric car of the 80s.

IAN

20190310_115356.jpgHi XLR owners.

Just received the new type of super led , as previous mentioned.

These sealed led are very brilliants as you can see on the photos, a second shipment is expected when received i will install them, the same as replacing a regular bulb.

Will send you photos of the changes.

IAN

travis wolf is a guy that i had mine refurbished by he did an awesome job on both i shipped them he rebuilt them in 2 to 3 weeks gave me permission to post his number here 618-975-3607 he had some of the original led bulbs from manufacturer left in stock. that was as of last year.

Travis is the only one doing a correct job of repairing them .I dont think he wants to anymore as the plastic is getting really brittle. He was at 699 each. That's vettronics

yea i think mine was the 1st one he replaced then last year had someone hit passenger side he replaced it again after a few bulbs went out. vetronics thats him

I have mine shipping off this month to him, and he takes time to explain EVERYTHING he will do-I trust him after being on the phone with him for 45 mins--he knows what he is doing, a true pioneer with this idea.

Hi n2deep.

Good for you, lucky to find people who could repair your tail lamps with original led.

My LH tail lamp was rebuild by my self because i dont have people in my area to do that kind of repair, since i was succesfull to do so, i tought to pass the informations to all XLR owners.

If a XLR owner who do not have the expertise ( or the necessary budget ) he can ask to these people if they could do it for him, at a reasonable price, as the cost to do so is less then $70 for parts and the labor one hour or so.

Glad you like my article, all new solution$ for the repair$ will be great to keep our XLR on road.

IAN

Ian, thanks for showing an alternative to the $600 (or $2500) fix to the XLR taillight failure. As I understand it you are not forcing anyone to do this and on the other hand, should you sell your XLR then the new owner is perfectly within his/her right to spend the $2500+ for an OEM taillight. Thanks again.

Hi Bobf9.

Why not….. the real new OEM lamps are almost nil presently, so with my way of doing the fix, you have now more then one choice for the repair of a tail lamp.

Thanks.

IAN

Up date results of the tail light.

Now it is 6 months that I have made the conversion of my XLR LH tail light, and it works just great.

The cold winter and bad weather have made no fails to the new led strips.

As soon the RH one shows some weak signs the conversion on that one also will be made.

Our XLR are getting older and many alternative were found the last few years to come up with some economical solutions for the problems ( Shocks absorbers, audio system, tail lights, decklid/top components and on ).

That is the way to do for keeping the XLR rolling.

IAN

Hi XLR owners.

Second up date…..Now its 8 months that the conversion of my XLR tail lamps was made.....and it just work fine.

IAN

Man, I like options. Thanks for the ideas, Ian. I am a member of forums for my other vehicles, and some people do great things but only tell people the results, not how they did it. I appreciate you sharing and taking the time to document all your work.

John B.

Hi Johnny

Thanks for the support.

Re the tird brake light, Delco is the official GM supplier, the part number looks OK, however confirm it with rock auto, regarding the price it is presently $168 at ebay plus 48 shippind ( sic ).

IAN

Ian, yes, I posted a new thread regarding the center/third brake light being available at Rock Auto for a lower total price than the EBay price. I ordered one since I have a few lights out there and having my old one for an extra for the future can't hurt.

John B.

I have used the ebay 3rd brake light on my 2nd one in 3 years. They did however give me a discount since it started going out 3 years later. I chalked it up to a fluke light or a cheap Japan aftermarket was supposed to be oem.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom