Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

GM Press Release TOP PROBLEM ON 2004 XLR

Tigerman

My XLR/V(s)
2004 CADILLAC XLR - RED
I posted my remarks a couple of weeks ago and after several trips to different shops I have more questions. The 2nd shop could find nothing wrong (not sure he used a Tech 2). Can't find a Cadillac dealer that seems to know how to fix it.

Just to bring up to date: My top will occasionally not go up or down. When going up it always stops after the trunk raises. The panel does not rotate under the trunk lid. The Cadillac dealer told me the pump was bad (CCClarke said that was probably not the case). Pump motor still makes a normal sound. Supposedly had the top re-learned by dealer but made no difference.

Today I took it to a Corvette shop who had a Tech 2 but admittedly said he knew nothing about the XLR. When diagnosing with the Tech 2 he got no faults. Everything appeared to be working. When he tried to put the top up while testing with the Tech 2 the amp reading on the top motor shot up well over 20 when it was trying to raise top but couldn't. He checked the level of fluid in the pump and it was well over maximum. He lowered fluid level to maximum. When the Cadillac dealer checked it the other week they told me the levels were okay but I never saw them and don't know if they added fluid. After lowering the fluid level the top went up and down.

Since I have returned home I have opened and closed the top three times with no problems.

1. Is it normal for amps to increase over 20 when top is opening?
2. Could too much fluid in the pump have been a problem?

Could he have fixed my problem or is the top just fooling me now?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back