Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top Re-Learn Malfunction.....Up A Creek?

Caddyjack

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
Forgive me if this has been answered in the past. i searched many threads, and have not seen this problem before.

Top was working fine on my 2004. But it would get a bit out of whack every year or two. Top would work as it should up and down, but slowly the trunk lid would stall and I'd have to release and reengage the up/down switch to complete the cycle. So using my Vetronix Tech-2, I have performed Top Relearns twice in the past as CCClarke has described over the years....with successful results. Up until now.

The windows went down as they should, the front tonneau went up as it should prior to the trunk lid (not) opening, etc etc. Only...everything STOPPED right there. Black tonneau thingy (located behind the seats) stuck in the up position. No trunk lid action or back tonneau doing anything. No pump or motor noises, either.

Normally, the Tech-2 would go thru each of the positions and then read "learned"....after which, the cycle finishes, and you repeat it going back up. BUT, the reading this time are different. Says calibration status "inactive". The top up/down button does nothing. Everything is stalled.

2znzaj4.jpg

So I reinitialized the windows (since that was the suggestion CCClarke made in a post a few years back if the relearn procedure is somehow interrupted) and still....nothing. Just the fron tonneau thingy stuck in the up position:

25hzpzc.jpg

So before trying to open the trunk lid to get things moving, I thought it best to try and get some advice from you all in case one or more of you have had this issue and can offer a solution.
(FYI...the up/down switch is working fine according to the Tech-2) Last resort is going to a dealership. I can't afford that. Unemployed for the last year while fighting stage 4 colon cancer. (winning that, tho)

Can you reverse it? If it stops before the trunk goes up I'd guess it doesn't know the last panel before that has gone all the way up. I'd look for a switch that tells it that.

Mine seems to be doing exactly what you described. Took it to the dealer. They said they may have it for months and can't promise when it will be fixed as their XLR guy just retired and Cadillac no longer makes XLR parts (They've had another XLR in the shop for months now while trying to source parts). I said it looks like rain, so I'm leaving it with you, maybe it'll be something that doesn't require unfindable parts (fingers crossed). Did you ever get yours fixed? If so, please post and I'll share with the dealer. Hope you've beaten the cancer!

It could be a faulty sensor.......

How many motors/sensors are there in association with the top and should we /would you recommend replacing them in an effort to fix the issue, or would that solution be just entirely too expensive to consider?
The top will not move period, and can only be manaully operated. You can hear the pump running in an effort to manipulate the top but it doesn't move anything but keeps running to the point of draining the battery before stopping.. We have to disconnect the battery cables each time or the battery will be dead and the car won't start
Any ideas as to what on earth she's needing? My husband is a mechanic and can do any installs/replacements, but we aren't sure what parts exactly we need to order, if any... and they are quite pricey.
This car is a complete mystery! My gut tells me she may have electrical issues too that may be causing the many little hiccups she suffers from .... so I don't know where to start or how to know what the problems are enough to order what parts we need to get her lined out..
Is there a way to just "reset" her computer...
This car literally started falling apart as soon as I got her. Surely the problems are connected somehow and like I said before, I just feel very inclined to believe it could be electrical issues. I have a plug in device I plan to use for codes but this forum recommends one specifically, should I not use the one I have and purchase another?
I'm getting so frustrated, but she's just too sexy to give up on just yet. It would just help if I knew what method to use in process of elimination , what to check 1st, 2nd, etc...
We're new owners, and unfortunately, clueless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

Cassondra McQueen

* cassondramcqueen@yahoo.com

How many motors/sensors are there in association with the top and should we /would you recommend replacing them in an effort to fix the issue, or would that solution be just entirely too expensive to consider?
The top will not move period, and can only be manaully operated. You can hear the pump running in an effort to manipulate the top but it doesn't move anything but keeps running to the point of draining the battery before stopping.. We have to disconnect the battery cables each time or the battery will be dead and the car won't start
Any ideas as to what on earth she's needing? My husband is a mechanic and can do any installs/replacements, but we aren't sure what parts exactly we need to order, if any... and they are quite pricey.
This car is a complete mystery! My gut tells me she may have electrical issues too that may be causing the many little hiccups she suffers from .... so I don't know where to start or how to know what the problems are enough to order what parts we need to get her lined out..
Is there a way to just "reset" her computer...
This car literally started falling apart as soon as I got her. Surely the problems are connected somehow and like I said before, I just feel very inclined to believe it could be electrical issues. I have a plug in device I plan to use for codes but this forum recommends one specifically, should I not use the one I have and purchase another?
I'm getting so frustrated, but she's just too sexy to give up on just yet. It would just help if I knew what method to use in process of elimination , what to check 1st, 2nd, etc...
We're new owners, and unfortunately, clueless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

Cassondra McQueen

* cassondramcqueen@yahoo.com
In a lot of cases, the battery is the culprit.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom