Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk sinks closed after opening

RonXLR

My XLR/V(s)
2009 XL Platinum
So, when I open my trunk, it slowly closes by itself. I checked the linkage and other obvious things. Thought you all might be able to point me in the right direction.
I know it's not the battery because I just installed a new 640 CCA (which, by the way cured my top not going down problem)
I have not experienced the trunk problem while the car is running or in Aux, but I haven't tried that.
Maybe a hydraulic fluid bleeding issue? My pump fluid is at the full line.
Please help. I'm tired of getting my head hit (softly) with the trunk lid.:bash:

yep for sure you need the two trunk supports. I get them from rock auto. They area little hard to install as they need a slight compression. Former member here made a tool in about 5 minutes and changed my first set in less than 10 minutes total. It takes me about 20 .Pm me and I will give you the part numbers if you like. Failure of the support struts causes premature pump failure. SO if anyone's do not stay up by them selves look at getting them replaced to save yourself some money for a while on a pump overhaul .

Last edited:
It's most likely the gas struts but double check that the manual bypass valve on the hydraulic pump is fully closed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yep for sure you need the two trunk supports. I get them from rock auto. They area little hard to install as they need a slight compression. Former member here made a tool in about 5 minutes and changed my first set in less than 10 minutes total. It takes me about 20 .Pm me and I will give you the part numbers if you like. Failure of the support struts causes premature pump failure. SO if anyone's do not stay up by them selves look at getting them replaced to save yourself some money for a while on a pump overhaul .

Hi L-T Sally
I'm a new member with a 2004 and couldn't find them on Rock Auto Please post the part # you used
Thanks in advance
Rich

sachs brand sg330112 sold at autozone 22$ each
strongarm b6241 should be at rock auto
tuff support 613790 sold amazon 40$ a pair

sachs makes a lot of oem products

Currently at > Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot ONLINE ORDERS ONLY on orders over $39.00

Free Shipping Event Terms and Conditions

•This promotion runs as advertised in the Banner on the top of our website, if banner is not showing then no promotions are available.
Only applicable to orders placed on Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot.
•Orders shipped via Free Shipping promotion will be shipped at the discretion of the shipper. Methods May include Fedex or USPS.

Hope that helps......

Thanks very much to all for the help!!!!! This is a really tremendous forum for my all time favorite vehicle.

I got the ones from Amazon. They arrive tomorrow. Looks like a hard job, but I don't want to pay the dealer $60 each plus labor.
I hope I have good luck.
Ron

RonXLR, how did it go? My new ones should be here tomorrow. From the looks of it, I'll need to prop the trunk open, gain access to the bottom attach point, pop the retaining clips, r&r the gas cylinder and reinstall retaining clips and trunk trim. What else goes wrong? Seems there's always something...

John B.

the good thing is the retaining clips do not have to be reused. the right side is the easiest to get to. just pry the clip back and slip the strut off. snapping the new one on is the problem or can be. They are just a touch too long so the trunk has to be at its peak. it gets really heavy when you take them off. I reomment a good solid 2x4 to loh it up as a prop rod can slip and its going to hurt . They take right at 250 pounds to compress. I have a tool sent out for a member to use and he is going to just send it tothe next perso nthat wants to use it. its just a threaded rod with some brackets welded on and a nut so you can compress the strut enought to slip on. the clip on the lower left is the hardest to remove and needs a thin long bladed screwdriver or similiar to remove it. dont worry if the cllips fly off as the new struts have them on them.

I'm thinking of asking if I can be the next one to receive that tool. I can't compress 250 lbs and wrestle that into position by hand! Let me know, please.

John B.

Hi John. I haven't done mine yet. Long Tall Sally says he's going to build a tool that compresses the struts. When you get them you will notice that they very hard to compress with your hands. They may have to compress about 1/4". When he sends me the tool, I'll keep it and then mail it to you. BTW, you don't have to take the clips off the new ones, just the old ones. The new ones will pop on without taking the clip off.
My new ones seem to be about 1/4 too long.
I have no idea when LTS will complete the tool, so I may have to build one myself. If I do, I'll send it to you when I'm done. If you find a way to compress on your own, let me know how you did it.
Thanks,
Ron

LTS, so you got the tool built? Who did you send it to? I'd like to use it ASAP.
Thanks,
Ron

Hi. Whoever has the tool that LTS made, I would like to use it next. Please let me know when you are done with it. I have the struts and am ready to install them ASAP.
Thanks,
Ron

OMG, I have been having the same problem, I hold it with one hand to get the stuff out, sometimes it stays up and other times, yes hits my head on the way down. Can you tell me about the 640 CCA battery, because I'm also having the same issue with my top not going down, I checked the area where the fluid goes and it's not wet, so it's not leaking. I am out of a job but do odd jobs for money, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom