Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk struts broke

Joni

My XLR/V(s)
Has anyone changed trunk struts! My trunk kept closing on me so I’m replacing the struts. But because I had to open hardtop to get at it the hardtop closed and the top didn’t go down right. So we have to manually put the hardtop up to get into the trunk. I’m sure it is not going to be easy!

it just takes a little muscle. They are pretty strong. need to open trunk fully and do the right side first . just a little circlip that pops on and off . the new struts have the clip so need to worry if you drop it. Left side is a little harder to get to. problem is they have to be compressed just ever so little but its tough. Reminds me , I need to make a tool to let people use to make it easier.

I have them send out and one appears to be lost in the mail. You need a way to compress the strut a little bit .Some have said some struts are shorter and snap on easier. I juts made a 1/2 threaded rod with two hooks on either end that clipped over the strut and you tighten it to compress it .its a little long so you can align the strut at the bottom and use the longer rod to push the strut on. Looks like I will have to make another as the post office cannot find one I sent to a member.

Can’t picture it, so post a picture of a new one when you can. Will cranking the trunk lid up forcefully release the ends?

no the ends are held on wit ha tiny circlip that you pry off with a screwdriver or sharp tool. The problem is with the trunk lid open as high as it will go the new struts are 1/4 inch too long to just snap on. Been really busy out of town with the holidays I will get back on it for everyone needed one asap

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom