Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Volant intake

cobratoo22

I have my Volant intake on ebay if anyone is interested. I thought it was causing p172 and p174 codes but still does it with the stock intake.

Some people say it can cause your engine to run lean due to increased air flow. However I put the stock air cleaner back on and the same thing happens. I am going to put the Volant back on.

I wasn't the one looking for it. I think it was Mr.Sunshine.
I decided not to mess with the car if everyone is having trouble when they used the kit.
Thanks, Brad

Apparently the intake was not causing my problem. They look good and sound good when you get on it but prolly don't ad much to performance.

I have my Volant intake on ebay if anyone is interested. I thought it was causing p172 and p174 codes but still does it with the stock intake.

I have the Volant intake and have the same issue, CEL will come on and I get the p174 error. The tech found buried deep in the GM knowledge base that the plenum housing is "out of round". Meaning that housing that the CAI fits into is not round, but slightly oval, and there is no TSB or recall at the moment.

The hose between the mas and the plenum is bent curved, bowed out of round would that have an effect?
Since the p172 and p174 code is lean condition it would seem like the engine is getting too much air.
with that being said: I also get those two codes with my stock intake.

Last edited:
xfire, not sure what your tech is smoking. may be illegal in some states. If you look at all the different configurations of cold air intake for the vettes they all use the same sensor for measuring the air flow with success. The mass air flow measures the air going across the little wire. The same bolt on unit fits a dozen cars 4 cylinder to 6 to 8. The computer is set from the factory with the volume of air vs the fuel mixture preset. Why it is not compensating is beyond my knowledge but square round or oval may change the flow rate over the little piece of wire but I doubt enough to cause a code. Most likely just a bad mass air flow sensor or one that has been cleaned ( which I read you do not do any more ) or is oily. (biggest reason for failure)
Since dozens of xlr people have run them with no problems it may depend on the elevation compensation factor that causes it or even the humidy as all these can change the flow rate That's why all the kids now days have a laptop they can make minute adjustments to the fuel and air mixtures to get the most performance were they are instead of one unit fits all like GM factory.

xfire, not sure what your tech is smoking. may be illegal in some states. If you look at all the different configurations of cold air intake for the vettes they all use the same sensor for measuring the air flow with success. The mass air flow measures the air going across the little wire. The same bolt on unit fits a dozen cars 4 cylinder to 6 to 8. The computer is set from the factory with the volume of air vs the fuel mixture preset. Why it is not compensating is beyond my knowledge but square round or oval may change the flow rate over the little piece of wire but I doubt enough to cause a code. Most likely just a bad mass air flow sensor or one that has been cleaned ( which I read you do not do any more ) or is oily. (biggest reason for failure)
Since dozens of xlr people have run them with no problems it may depend on the elevation compensation factor that causes it or even the humidy as all these can change the flow rate That's why all the kids now days have a laptop they can make minute adjustments to the fuel and air mixtures to get the most performance were they are instead of one unit fits all like GM factory.

When I took my car in for the codes, we put the OEM air filter boxes back on and cleared all the codes. Drove around for 3 months with the OEM air boxes and the system never threw a code. Put the Volant CAI back on with a new MAF, and within 2 weeks I starting getting the p0174 code again. He also checked This is when he started to search the database for like issues, and found the item referenced in my original post. Maybe a few of these got passed "inspector 126" and made it into some cars. We compared the shapes of the OEM and Volant and you can see that there is a slight difference in shape. The tech gave me a copy of the document, as soon as I find it i will post it here.

they are connected to the intake with a flexable duct. it seals.round oval oblong just not square. I would like to see what he is claiming as oval vs round would not make any difference . some of the vette ones are almost flat and wide to fit under the hood. Find that and post .may be something no one else has ever seen

VOLENT INTAKE

I did a thread about my experience with the Volent CAI.....the idle was smooth..the ride was peppier and the sound was throatier..I loved it but it also threw out lean codes after about 20 miles of driving after the codes were cleared....Did whatever I could to keep the unit on and stop the lean codes...
Had it reinstalled professionally...did a smoke test which turned out negative....as I needed a battery, changed that as well in hopes of really clearing the codes...even did a new MAF..
The tech support at Volent was involved all the way and in the end they had difficulty understanding after all I did ..why still showing Lean..
There thought was that it is not a compatible unit above '07 and my build date showed late in year '07 so they thought perhaps some part mixture was the issue..
Whether that is true or not.I'm not sure....sounded like they were groping for an answer...
I reluctantly sent the unit back and they refunded my payment...
When finally put the stock back on ...never had the codes again...
Still not sure why there is a mixed success rate here in the forum...

It produced the caused on my car when driving it in the manual mode staying in the lower gears longer.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom