Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Will 04 6 CD Player work in a 07

DaveH

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Xenon Blue
Need to know please
Will a 2004 XLR 6 CD Player work in a 2007 XLR?

Thank you for any info!

Best regards,
Dave

More than likely it will. My question is why? There's a lot of aftermarket units that have way more features available to you for not much more money.

Thank you.

Thanks but I have checked this forum as well as a few others and as of this week, no one has verified they converted their XLR to a newer system with all the features working. They get some of them working but not all. In addition I have found none listed that will fit in the XLR without some sort of modification brackets/face-plates, etc. Upgrading the system to a newer type without all original features working (HUD, Steering wheel controls, On Star, etc. etc.) and proper fitment detracts from the originality of the XLR.

In addition, I have contacted many car audio businesses in the Georgetown, Round Rock, Austin area that cannot indicate they are technically capable of doing such a conversion. I have discussed this at many car shows and still no good resource for such a conversion.

Do you know of a competent car audio business in this area that could do it?

Best regards,
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks but I have checked this forum as well as a few others and as of this week, no one has verified they converted their XLR to a newer system with all the features working. They get some of them working but not all. In addition I have found none listed that will fit in the XLR without some sort of modification brackets/face-plates, etc. Upgrading the system to a newer type without all original features working (HUD, Steering wheel controls, On Star, etc. etc.) and proper fitment detracts from the originality of the XLR.

In addition, I have contacted many car audio businesses in the Georgetown, Round Rock, Austin area that cannot indicate they are technically capable of doing such a conversion. I have discussed this at many car shows and still no good resource for such a conversion.

Best regards,
Dave

Take a look at my post from 2016. It's still working perfectly. No regrets. The only thing you lose in the hud is the radio info.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ood-dnx893s-in-the-xlr.html?highlight=kenwood

Thanks Rexster314

Take a look at my post from 2016. It's still working perfectly. No regrets. The only thing you lose in the hud is the radio info.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ood-dnx893s-in-the-xlr.html?highlight=kenwood

Thank you, yes your post is the one I have been showing to these Car Audio shops around here with no luck of a positive "oh yes we could do that" reply. Confidence is lacking so far... I will continue to use it as a marker to test the waters with more of these Audio shops around here.
My present OEM 6 CD player I think is kaput for sure, I managed to get it out and open it. It has one of the CD brackets broke (a piece of it was rattling inside it) and one of the little gears has the teeth broke off.
20180325_171456.jpg20180325_171438.jpgStripped_gear.jpg20180325_171345.jpgThanks for all your info, I will continue to search my area for an upgrade :)

Attachments

• 20180306_175408.jpg
    20180306_175408.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Keep looking. This had been done several times. What they're doing is looking at a application book, only problem is in these books, there is not an application for an XLR. The parts in my installation are commonly available to stereo shops. I had no problem with the shop I took my car to, I gave them the printouts (parts required), showed them the diagram to jump the speaker wires, and it was installed in about 5 hours while I waited.

Best regards,
Dave

You may have seen from other threads on here that I’m blessed with a husband who figured out how to install it himself, though it took a while (he wasn’t in a hurry) & he had to be able to trouble shoot a few things. As with Rexster, EVERYTHING works on mine except radio info in the HUD. Steering wheel controls work plus I now have a backup camera & usable nav.

Maybe take the DIY by amateurs examples to the car audio businesses & put them to shame!

Thank you XLRATING!

You may have seen from other threads on here that I’m blessed with a husband who figured out how to install it himself, though it took a while (he wasn’t in a hurry) & he had to be able to trouble shoot a few things. As with Rexster, EVERYTHING works on mine except radio info in the HUD. Steering wheel controls work plus I now have a backup camera & usable nav.

Thank you XLRATING, by chance is the list of parts/items used for the conversion listed here on the XLR-Net Forum.
Or if not, could you be so kind and list them in this thread.

I have been given a POC here in the local area of a great Audio Technician, but this list could be of great help for us to move forward with the conversion.
Bless you!

Best regards,
Dave

...My question is why? There's a lot of aftermarket units that have way more features available to you for not much more money.

Why? Functional originality. XLR's are already being entered in car shows, and that will more than likely increase as the years go by. The Cadillac/LaSalle Club awards for originality. So that might be one reason.

A car is more valuable as a collector car the more original it is. My 1976 Eldorado will automatically beat another Eldorado in the same condition that has an aftermarket radio at a car show. Same goes for my 1991 Alfa Romeo, which also has the original, functioning AM/FM/Cassette.

I agree... thank you!

Why? Functional originality. XLR's are already being entered in car shows, and that will more than likely increase as the years go by. The Cadillac/LaSalle Club awards for originality. So that might be one reason.

A car is more valuable as a collector car the more original it is. My 1976 Eldorado will automatically beat another Eldorado in the same condition that has an aftermarket radio at a car show. Same goes for my 1991 Alfa Romeo, which also has the original, functioning AM/FM/Cassette.

Thank you Caddyjack, :wave: I agree with this and this was my original thoughts when I ask about the 2004 6 CD Changer/Player working in my 2007 XLR. I see many vehicles at show that win due to a pristine original condition but have also seen those that win (even with non-OEM changes) due their stellar looks, I am also a member of the Cadillac/LaSalle Club who judges for originality. My XLR is not my daily driver… I just wanted everything working correctly like the 6 CD Changer. I am still waiting on feedback from the local tech I found here in my area, but I am truly feeling I might just stick to my original thought and try to get the CD changer repair/replaced.

Best regards,
Dave :cool:

Just my thoughts....

I have pretty much stayed away from this subject up until now.

I completely understand the desire to update the entertainment/navigation system to something newer with additional features. One of my favorite members here has done it.

I have a 2018 Tahoe Premier Edition with the Chevrolet MyLink System. I really like it! I would love to have one like it in my XLR. But my XLR is 13 years old. My desire to keep my XLR "original" outweighs my desire to have a better entertainment/navigation system. My XLR is very low mileage and I anticipate having it for a long time, just as I have with my other cars, such as my GTO that I have owned for 45 years.

I don't miss any of the Bluetooth capabilities since I still use a "flip phone". I consider having AM, FM, XM and CD options plenty enough for me. But even more, as the prior post states, I value the originality for now and the future.

I believe the original unit can be repaired or replaced with another stock unit and that's the route I would take. In my area we have a shop that services practically all the "Factory" units from most manufacturers. A few years ago, I had them repair the OEM AM/FM/Cassette unit in my 1989 S-10 Cameo. Works just like it always has since 1989. Yes, I still have cassettes to play!

Good luck to you with this issue! :thumbsup

Last edited:
Thank you!

Thank you Crimson Pearl,

I concur :thumbsup
I am going to keep it original. I did find Hi-Tech Electronic Services in California they have a listing they fix common problems with CD Changer (won't play, won't eject, etc.) of 2004 to 2009 Cadillac XLRs. I called them, talked with one of their Techs, he could not tell me for sure they had or could get the parts needed (such as the little striped gear and disk holder) to fix my CD Changer. Best he could do was tell me to ship the unit to them, they will see what they could do, I would pay shipping there and back even if they could not fix it.... :)

The reason I ask the original question of "Will 04 6 CD Player work in a 07" is that I found a member on the forum who still has the head unit and CD changer from an 2004 XLR to sale but I am not sure yet that the CD changer is functional or if it really will match up for use in my 2007. Waiting now on his reply and some pics to verify, or maybe I could get it and scavenge the parts from the 04 unit that I need for mine.
Time will tell :)

Best regards,
Dave

PS. I still got my cassette also and my 8 tracks wishing I could find a player for the old 8 tracks.... LoL

Last edited:
Thank you XLRATING, by chance is the list of parts/items used for the conversion listed here on the XLR-Net Forum.
Or if not, could you be so kind and list them in this thread.

I have been given a POC here in the local area of a great Audio Technician, but this list could be of great help for us to move forward with the conversion.
Bless you!

Best regards,
Dave

If you are still interested in doing this, we got the list off of here, & I can hunt it up if needed. Let me know.

As for the original vs. functional debate, with 2 XLR’s we can play both sides of that. My base isn’t really in pristine condition for show purposes if you study it closely, and it has 46k miles, so it’s our experiment/personalize car. Our XLR-V has half the miles, actually was a GM show car, & will likely be more collectible because it’s a V. We’ve only made a few changes to it & they are easily reversible (like exhaust & painted calipers). So when Mike made noises about maybe putting the Kenwood in the V, I told him do NOT do that! :nono:

If you’re looking at more of a collector than a driver, I agree with sticking with the original radio & either listening to terrestrial stations or finding some other way to listen to your chosen music.

Well, I guess I better give back the two first place trophies I got with my Kenwood in the dash.
Really, I still have the original h/u and cd player, it wouldn't take but about 30 minutes to restore everything back to stock if I wanted to.
I'd venture to say that in 10 years most of these cars won't be running due to hyper expensive mechanical problems, vehicular accidents, etc. For me, I'm gonna drive it, enjoy the top down while I can, listening to Pandora, talking on the Bluetooth phone and enjoying the back up camera so I don't back into anything and break a non-replaceable part.
If someone wants to put the car on a pedestal and keep it museum quality, more power to them. That's what makes the earth turn.

The SRX changer looks exactly the same to me. If it has different firmware, it might have the gears you need...

Hey

I too have chosen to stay with the "original" configuration and keep my '06 X as close to the OEM build as possible, and I do not show my car. It is just what I want with my X. We each have our perspective on things.

I do believe the '04 unit will swap into the '06. Can not imagine the Japanese company Denso redesigning it. I had to replace my CD unit and was fortunate enough to find a replacement. Thank You Robert. My replacement came from an '07. If at all possible, I would recommend replacing your unit with an equal to or newer model year unit. (just because of the age factor)

With regard to the On-Star functionality, I had On Star active and loved it. It stated out at about 25 bucks a month. It ultimately bumped to 39 a month and I realized no noticeable difference in service plans or functionality with the increase. Must say, it worked very well, but could not justify it. It was more of a toy to me and nothing I depended upon. Last month I cancelled my On-Star and installed a Co Star Blue Star unit. it plugs into two of the three plugs that plug into the On-Star Unit. A ten minute job to install. It is Blu-Tooth and pairs with your cell. In my case, I too have an old flip phone from 2004 and it works great. Easy to use. All the controls ...steering wheel and mirror buttons work (but for example the blue and red buttons are used for volume adjustment ) Press the phone icon button and the little phone comes up on the screen and you are prompted to call out the contact you want to make. Simple as that.

Bill

Last edited:
on a side note , I am fine with the oem unit on mine but the glare makes the screen unreadable 1/2 the time when I have the top down. I would almost replace it just so I could see it better. Any ideas on the glare problem. Plus I do like a rear view camera.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom