Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! XLR INSURANCE

DOUG ASHBY

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
I'm looking for general info about insurance. I've had State Farm for decades now and have always been very satisfied with their service. They aren't the cheapest, but they actually do what they say they will, and without a bunch of BS nitpicking or attempting to squirm out of payment. Also service shops love it when you tell them SF is your insurer. They KNOW they'll get paid.
I recently checked with Hagarty Ins to see what they want to insure my 2006 base model. Their price is about 1/3 less than State Farm.
Question: Do any of you have experience with Hagarty? If so, are they as dependable as SF?

I have several vehicles with Hagerty however never had a claim. Have known others that have with no problems. It is agreed value not actual cash value very important difference. Should make sure State Farm is agreed value.
Mark

I'm looking for general info about insurance. I've had State Farm for decades now and have always been very satisfied with their service. They aren't the cheapest, but they actually do what they say they will, and without a bunch of BS nitpicking or attempting to squirm out of payment. Also service shops love it when you tell them SF is your insurer. They KNOW they'll get paid.
I recently checked with Hagarty Ins to see what they want to insure my 2006 base model. Their price is about 1/3 less than State Farm.
Question: Do any of you have experience with Hagarty? If so, are they as dependable as SF?

I have been with State Farm for a long time. I recently had them quote me Classic Auto Insurance. My car is more than 10 years old and less than 24 years old, had limited production, and is driven 'low' miles per year. I was paying less than $500 per year, new quote is $360 per year. I drive 3,000-4,000 per year depending if I take any long trips. Insured for an agreed upon amount, mine is being insured for $25,000. I'm not sure this is for everyone, but an option.

I'm not affiliated with State Farm in any way, just a customer. Here is a link to their info on Classic Auto Insurance.

State Farm User Support

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The unfortunate thing I ran across with all the "classic" insurance I looked at is the limitations on use. Hagerty sent a letter rejecting me without me even applying (?!) when I said I regularly use my XLR to go shopping on weekends & asked if that would be covered, even though my total annual mileage is only 2-3,000 a year. Most of the insurers will allow show-related driving and at best an "occasional" unrelated joy ride & that's it, no matter how low your annual mileage is. While you can play games about complying with that, it's not worth the risk to me.

So, for now, since I like too much driving whenever & wherever I want, I haven't gone down the classic auto insurance route yet...

The feature for me is the agreed-upon value. I told my agent that I drive 3-4,000 mi per year. Said that I qualify. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so maybe there will be other glitches. One of the key features is condition, it does have to be car show worthy. I think most of us who drive a couple k miles per year keep our rides in excellent shape. I have to take it over so they can take pictures. I'll report if there are any glitches, but looks good so far.

Good info

Thanks guys! That's exactly the feedback I need.
When I first bought Red, SF told me they no longer offered any discount ins for 'collector' or 'specialty' cars. After seeing your experiences, I'm going to ask them again. And Haggarty sounds like they have WAY too many qualifications.

Thanks guys! That's exactly the feedback I need.
When I first bought Red, SF told me they no longer offered any discount ins for 'collector' or 'specialty' cars. After seeing your experiences, I'm going to ask them again. And Haggarty sounds like they have WAY too many qualifications.

I recently switched mine from USAA to a policy through the National Corvette Museum. I shopped Hagerstown and others, found the policy through NCM to be best for me.

Update. I took my car to my State Farm agent's the other day. He had to photograph it so it showed all 4 sides, interior and engine compartment. I told him about some comments here about how much the car is driven. He said the operative word is that is used for occasional use, which he said my 3,000-4,000 mi per year more than qualifies. I set a value of $25,000 on my '04. Quote came out to $360 per year. $150 less per year than a standard policy that would have probably only pay $14,000 for a total loss.

State Farm Ins

Update. I took my car to my State Farm agent's the other day. He had to photograph it so it showed all 4 sides, interior and engine compartment. I told him about some comments here about how much the car is driven. He said the operative word is that is used for occasional use, which he said my 3,000-4,000 mi per year more than qualifies. I set a value of $25,000 on my '04. Quote came out to $360 per year. $150 less per year than a standard policy that would have probably only pay $14,000 for a total loss.

I called my SF agent several days earlier and he said SF didn't have anything for me like that. So after reading your reply, I called him back and read him your letter. He says, "Well let me look into it. Every state has it's own insurance rules. What works in Ohio might not work here."
So the next day he calls back and says, "Well, they DO have that sort of category here." He then gives me the details. Turns out it IS considerably cheaper, BUT the allowable mileage is only 3K/yr. As far as I'm concerned, that's a deal breaker. I didn't buy Red as a lawn ornament. In two years, we've put 13K on him, and I intend to continue driving him whenever I please, and not be constantly fretting about the miles.
So, since Haggarty's turned out to be very similar, I think this pretty well answers my original question: I'll just bite the bulltet, pay SF for full coverage, and continue enjoying Red as often as I can.
Thanks for the responses, guys!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back