Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HRE 543R: Testing clearances on 2007 XLR

Test continued: Front wheel on the rear.

33082_.jpg

The 275/35/19 is on the left and the 235/50/18 is on the right. I mounted the 275 front wheel on the rear for a reference point. I will then use this info for the rears.

33083_.jpg

As you can see that my hand could clearly reach in between the wheel liner and the wheel.

33092_.jpg

33084_.jpg

33098_.jpg

The front wheels (mounted on the rear) are flush with the body. HRE will remove 2/16" from the original 20" wheel's center piece thus allowing the wheel to move inward. On the previous page the 20x11 was outside the body by 2/16". The goal is to use the outer 2" lip, remove 2/16" from the center piece, and a new inner. The inner will 1/2" or 1" less than the original.:cool:

Okay, if I haven't confused enough shall we now go back to the front wheel.:lol:

33085_.jpg

I could've gone with a 285/35/19 up front, but I played it safe using a 275. The 275 is a tight fit on a 10" wide wheel, but the tire is listed for 9-11" width.

33096_.jpg

As you can see that the tire is "rolled" thus there's no forgiveness if the wheel come in contact with a curb.:mad: The last time this happened was back in the 90's. Anyway, there's not many options using "run flats" and I've only seen maybe 4-6 tires in 19 or 20" sizes.

33086_.jpg

As you can see that the 275 cleared, but it was close (sorry pic is upside down). LOL.

33088_.jpg

For those that want to go this route you'll find the following; 275, 285, 305, & 315 offered in either a 19-20" wheels. I decided on the 275 (front) due to the diameter. I wanted it to be as close to the OEM. I will now try to use a 315 or just keep the 275/35/20 in the rear. The crazy part is trying to match the front and rear using the same brand of tire. PZero are 275/35/19 and 315/35/10 and Bridgstone are 285/35/19 and 305/30/20. Granted, you can always opt for regular tires and as others mentioned; use a tire inflator and a plug.

33090_.jpg

No doubt the ride will be a lot harsher compared to the OEM size.

Just for giggles here's a few pics of the 19" on the rear. :D

33089_.jpg

33091_.jpg

I'm having HRE re-tweak the original rears and then retest them on the back. The original rears have a 2" outer lip and are 20's.

I spoke to HRE this week and Nick informed that they are now CNC the rear center pieces and it should take maybe 3-4 weeks. Anyway, the rears will be 20x10 using either a 305/35/20 or 315/35/20 tire. :) I did get to see some interesting markings on the fender.

33146_.jpg

33147_.jpg

HRE are hub centric.

33148_.jpg

Whereas the other wheels aren't.

Update: HRE is sending me one of the rear wheels next week.:blinzel: If all is well then they will make the remaining three wheels. Granted, everything should clear and once checked I'll order the rear tire in either 305 or 315. :)

Well, the guys at HRE are quite busy it seems. Nick informed that my rear wheel tester should arrive on Wednesday of next week. No rush, but I parked the XLR until the wheel arrives. I hope to have everything going before my trip to Napa, CA in three weeks, but we'll see.:love:

As I previously mentioned, the fronts passed with flying colors, but I need to purchase two rear 305 or 315. I don't look forward to that since they're about $550 per tire! Worse case; drive to Napa on those Breytons wheels.;)

33321_.jpg

It's been awhile since I've driven the XLR.

Well, my rear wheel arrived on Tuesday. :DI have to test the wheel on the rear first and if it clears; next will be the 315/30/20 tire. Currently, the car and the wheel aren't in the same location. LOL. ;) The fronts are a "go."

33322_.jpg

New shoes arrived! (refurbished HRE shoes:chuckle). On Wednesday I'll jack the XLR and test fit the wheels. The tire arrived today up north, but the car is down south. Oh well, :lol:

33362_.jpg

33363_.jpg

33367_.jpg

33368_.jpg

33369_.jpg

33370_.jpg

33371_.jpg

33372_.jpg

33373_.jpg

33374_.jpg

The wheels were originally purchased in 2007 or so from a wrecked Corvette. I bought them for $500 bucks out the door and waited until I got what I wanted; A XLR!

In other news: DMV sent me a letter stating that my personalized plates have arrived!

Okay, I finally got around to testing the rear 20x10 HRE wheel today and let me say, it's a very, very tight fit for the inner barrel! The wheel is within the top portion of the body (same as the front 19x10). I'll need to mount the 315 and I hope it will clear the inner, but it might be just a tad bit outside the body. Now, on with the show.:)

33385_.jpg

33380_.jpg

33381_.jpg

33382_.jpg

33383_.jpg

33384_.jpg

HRE re-tweaked the wheel a bit. On the first test the wheel tuck outside the body by 1/4", but now it's right on the lip.:blinzel:

33386_.jpg

33388_.jpg

33387_.jpg

As you can see; the wheel is right on the money.

Comparison pic:
33392_.jpg

I didn't have anything I could use to measure the distant between the wheel liner and the inner lip of the wheel. Also I couldn't lower the car so at best it's a very, very close fit on the inside.:cool:

33390_.jpg

33391_.jpg

Good luck with that once you get a tire mounted and on the road. Have you looked up the part number for the liner yet?

Hey madcurl looks like your really trying to get the biggest rim you can put on there. What would the offset of those rears be. the 20/10. From that angle looks like u should have enough room. Good luck with your pick

Hey madcurl looks like your really trying to get the biggest rim you can put on there. What would the offset of those rears be. the 20/10. From that angle looks like u should have enough room. Good luck with your pick

Sure, I'll be more than happy to give you the specs on the rear wheels (20x10). I'll call HRE on Thursday.:) As for the wheels; you are correct in that I wanted to go as wide as possible especially in the rear (F5 is what HRE calls it). If the 315 doesn't work I can always go back to I know that works; a 285/35/20, but I'll find out on Friday once I see the tire and talking it over with my wheel guy in town.

Good luck with that once you get a tire mounted and on the road. Have you looked up the part number for the liner yet?

Thanks. I'm hoping for the best outcome.:D As for the wheel liner; I never priced it, but I did removed the wheel liner in 15-minutes using a simple 6 or 7mm tool (covered on the 1st page). I saw sound deadening material (looked like a pillow :chuckleLOL) placed between the body and frame of the car. What a cool car!:blinzel:

For the record

Last time I put new tires on I went to Dunlop sticky tires 275x35 on 20" rims all around. (Direz, D2 101, Digi Tyre, what ever that all means) Just Tires said they wouldn't hit. Honk, wrong answer. Fronts cleared fine but on a trip to FL the rears tore holes in the inner liners from hitting uneven pavement. I could here it hit every so often but kept on going. They guaranteed every thing & put the same tire in a 250x35 on both front and rear and put two new liners on the rear. Since then, no problem. These sticky tires do nothing but grab and go at a light from a standing start. I don't leave any rubber behind and get a big jump on every car. Sounds like a damn commercial. :wave:
Thanks. I'm hoping for the best outcome.:D As for the wheel liner; I never priced it, but I did removed the wheel liner in 15-minutes using a simple 6 or 7mm tool (covered on the 1st page). I saw sound deadening material (looked like a pillow :chuckleLOL) placed between the body and frame of the car. What a cool car!:blinzel:

Sometimes it seems no one believes me when I say offset is everything when it comes to what will or will not fit. You could put a 500mm wide tire on the rear with the right wheel and offset. Yes, it would stick outside the wheel wells but would work.

A stock V wheel is 8.5 inches wide with a 61mm offset. The placement of the outside edge of the rim relative to stock is simple mathematics.

If the stock rim is .5" inside the fender a 10" wide rim with a 49mm offset would be 1.22" different from stock and stick outside the fender by .72". If it will clear on the inside is another story. Things get a lot tricker on the front due to steering angles etc.

The bottom line is to say "I fit an X wide wheel on my car is not enough information without including the offset.

You do not want the tire to stick outside the fender. You would be asking for trouble. When I put the new wheels on the x they fit right at the edge. It was no problem until we went on a trip and filled the trunk with more weight. I heard a slight rub every once in a while. Very little. When I finally checked it it had almost rubbed through the fender. Fortunately I caught it in time. I ended up raising the ride hight screws an inch and haven't had a problem since. But I sure wouldn't want any more width in case there was a bad dip in the road at high speed.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom