Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HRE 543R: Testing clearances on 2007 XLR

madcurl

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR Infrared
I finally had a day off to test fit my HRE 543R I purchased back in 2007 (LOL).:lol: The sizes are 19x9.5 (f) and 20x11 (r). I've been in contact with HRE wheels here in CA and based upon the spec the rears will need 1.5" removed or for tighter placement 1" from the inner barrels in the rear. The only question was; do the outer lips stick to far outside the body? That was the question I needed to check and approve, otherwise I would need outers too.

Well, I've never been a guy who like OEM and I think the 2" lip will remain on the wheels. I did some measurements and it appears that the outer lips are 1/4" outside the body in the rear. I will use 275/35/20 (diameter of 27.7). I know the tire size is outside the 27.2 OEM specs, but I like the rear stance. Here's a few pics.

32567_.jpg

(Never mind the small 285/30/20-they came with the wheels from a wrecked Corvette).

32568_.jpg

32569_.jpg

32582_.jpg

32570_.jpg

As you can see the wheels aren't sticking that far outside the body. Actually, I measured the outer side and both are the same.

32571_.jpg

(after market wheel 18x8, 32mm off set)

32572_.jpg

(18x8, 32mm off-set).

32574_.jpg

HRE 20x11 front test; The fronts didn't have tires so I decided to test the rears up front and guess what? The fronts fit w/o issues.:dunno: Although, I wish the HRE I purchased had 20"s up front instead of the 19"-I do like the look. Personally, if I bought the wheels new I'd go 20/21 combo.

After market wheels: back space. 6"
32581_.jpg

The HRE back spacings:

32575_.jpg

32576_.jpg

Fronts: 7.5"

32577_.jpg

Rears: 8"

32578_.jpg

32579_.jpg

32580_.jpg

Clearance and the wheel is a 20x11. LOL.:dunno: Either way, I'm using 19x9.5 up front.

The 19x9.5 are flush with the upper portion of the fender.

32599_.jpg

Although, I'm (not) using the 20x11 up front I did want to see if the inner cleared the upper and lower control arms. It was tight:cool:, but the wheel cleared during full turns in both direction.

32594_.jpg

32592_.jpg

Anyway, I used the clearance for the 19x9.5 which the backspacing isn't as deep as the rears.

Although, I'm (not) using the 20x11 up front I did want to see if the inner cleared the upper and lower control arms. It was tight:cool:, but the wheel cleared during full turns in both direction.

Crazy those the 20x11 fit up front like that, although I would trust something that big up front the way I drive mine. Good info though!

Crazy those the 20x11 fit up front like that, although I would trust something that big up front the way I drive mine. Good info though!

Yes, I was shocked too. Although, the 20x11 cleared up front it didn't fare so good in the rear due to the folding top entering the trunk space. As you can see I had to remove the inner liner prior to mounting the wheel ( I didn't want to scratch or damage the part).

32597_.jpg

32596_.jpg

32595_.jpg

At best, I can only go 10" wide on the rears. The good thing I like the 285's foot print from the rear for the 235 (OEM) are way too narrow for my taste. The plan is the go 275/35/20 and 275/35/19 up front.

I was at a car dealership for visuals. There was a Corvette using 275/35/19 in the rears.

32600_.jpg

I hope to use this size for the fronts since I didn't have issues with the 20x11 thus the smaller Corvette rear should work.

For giggles, here's a side of the 20x11 using a 285/30/20.

32601_.jpg

A slight modifications.:chuckle We're going with; 19x10 (f) and 20x10 (r) using a 2" outer lip for the fronts. I've spoken to HRE on Tuesday and directed Vince to our forum for visuals. After reviewing the pics-it's a go! The tire sizes are; 285/35/19 front and 285/35/20 (r) using run flats. My reasons for the change was simple, "The visuals." The comfort level will no doubt change, but if a Corvette can run with 275/35/19, so can I. Beside, it's not like I had too many options using the 19/20 wheel combo and since I've seen countless BMW and SL500 with smaller tires I think mine will be less harsher on the car.

Here's visual comparison from the back.
32627_.jpg

18x8, 235/50/18

32626_.jpg

20x11, 285/30/20

32651_.jpg

Okay, I finally shipped off the last of the four HRE wheels, sensors, and finalized the size today. The sensor were build this year so I shouldn't have any issues except having the entered into the computer. The size are 19x10 (f) and 20x10 (r). The tires are P-Zero run flats 275/35/19 (f) and 275/35/20 (r). The upside to this is more grip in the turns and better feed back from the road. Although, I like the aggressive 2" front they felt that it's best to stay with the 1.5" outer lip. The reasons; better stance, stuck the wheel inward, and better clearance for suspension travel. I'm going with the outer chrome lips on all corners, because I'm lazy.:D

32638_.jpg

Apparently, there's several XLR owners sporting HRE's but nobody has pictures.:reddevil According what I've been told at least two or three other people ranging in size from 18-20". :cool: The process should take 2-3 weeks. There's a big meet at HRE Jun 22nd I believe. I hope if everything goes according to plan I should be there.

32866_.jpg

Here's a example of the HRE 543R 20x11 weight prior to shipping.

32649_.jpg

(Valve and wheel weights attached to wheel)

This style is a older version that HRE no longer produces. Since then they use titanium fasteners which reduces the over-all weight, but the 543R isn't the lightest wheel they produced 7-years ago. I believe the HRE 547R were once the lightest. Since then newer version (similar in style) are now lighter. Anyway, mine will loose some weight once the new inner barrels are installed because I'm reducing the size by 1".:D

32799_.jpg

32800_.jpg

Did anyone get all that???? Maybe I need a beer and try reading it again. . .:dunno: :confused:

30893_.jpg

30894_.jpg

30946_.jpg

24097_.jpg

24098_.jpg

24099_.jpg

24100_.jpg

Next: fixing the 19x9.5
30653_.jpg

30655_.jpg

:D

Okay, were do I begin. LOL. There was miscommunication during the modification of the HRE 543R wheels. Come to find out that one of the center piece was off-spec and needed replacement to which a good friend at HRE quickly resolved by making another center piece free of charge. Now, that right there was good service; standing behind your product. Okay, my friend at HRE (Vince) was laid off and I'm thinking the worst, right?

Anyway, I talked to one of the rep (Carolyn) whom I've never spoken too before aided me in getting my order back on track. She was friendly and very thoughtful over the phone and she sports HRE on her ride and anybody with wheels (male or female) and I'm feeling all good inside. We chit-chat about what I wanted and she went over some of the details involved.

I soon realize that the wheels wouldn't be ready in time for the in house meet at HRE wheels, but still I pressed onward. Well, as I was about to go I dislocated my pinky toe (little suckers are small but they capture your attention when they bent in the wrong direction). So, I skip out on going since it would involve walking around viewing dozens of cars. Moving forward I call again the next week and my work order was assigned to another person. We talked for several minutes regarding the specs and various items that needed to be discussed.

Okay, on Monday (yesterday) I get another call from HRE, but I was busy with the crash victims at SFO (horrible week to say the least) so I missed the initial call. HRE finally catches up with me and then tells me the bad news; the remaining three centers are off spec!:( He goes on to state that, "This isn't HRE standards and it's not something they are willing work with."

Okay, I'm thinking, "Oh man, my wallets is going to be crying today." It was then that the rep (Nick) said to me, "Since the centers aren't up to our standards I've talked to the president and he okay the order for a new set of HRE wheels free of charge." At first I thought I misunderstood what he had just said, so I asked again, " You mean a new set of wheels free of charge? He in turn said, "Yes." It was at this moment you could hear a pin drop.:):) It took me several minutes for me to compose myself.

After thanking Nick at HRE (and to tell him to thank the President of HRE for me) I had to pinch myself. I quickly got on the phone and text my two other buddies whom have HRE wheels! I told one of my friends, 'DON'T TAKE YOUR HRE WHEELS TO NO OTHER COMPANY EXCEPT TO HRE." One of my friends thought I was pulling his leg and called me today around noon just to make sure.

All I can say is this. In a world were companies come and go, it is good to see that there are some companies standing behind their product and are willing to listen to your concerns over the phone even years later after the warranty long gone . HRE my friends is one of those companies.

As for the wheels. It should arrive this week and I will definitely post pictures. I'm sorry guys for the delay but it's been one busy, busy week! Oh yeah, for those that might be concerned. My baby toe is doing much better.:cool:

32578_.jpg

32579_.jpg

32580_.jpg

Clearance and the wheel is a 20x11. LOL.:dunno: Either way, I'm using 19x9.5 up front.

The 19x9.5 are flush with the upper portion of the fender.

32599_.jpg
Yeah its better to be safe and have some "BREATHING ROOM" rather then scraping the edges of the tires when turning......

Okay, I got the HRE 543R front wheel back from HRE last Friday. Let me say this; THIS WHEEL IS SWEEEEET!

As for those not aware, I had all four wheels sent to HRE and using my own judgment I had the wheels tweaked. I decided to have HRE remove 1" from the inners making the wheel a 19x10 on a 275/35/19 PZero run flat. Although, I could've used a 285, but this size will have to do. LOL.

33065_.jpg

33066_.jpg

33067_.jpg

33068_.jpg

I checked for clearance issues and found none. Next is to squeeze a 315/35/20 on the rear on a 10.5 wheel. This is perhaps as extreme as one can go w/o body modifications.

Enjoy the pics.:D

Okay, here's the money shot. HRE pointed out that this is referred to as; F5; meaning that it a extreme placement (I like extreme). :chuckle

33069_.jpg

The tire is flush with the outer front lip.

33070_.jpg

33072_.jpg

No issues with upper or lower control arm (obviously the 20x11 rear wheel cleared so it was expected to clear).

:)

Okay, now for the rears. I used the off-set for the front to determine if the inners cleared. The pics are taken with the camera looking up from the backside of wheel.

33073_.jpg

33075_.jpg

33076_.jpg

33077_.jpg

As you can see I have plenty of clearance.:)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom