Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trouble shifting INTO park

XLRATING

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)
Took Beauty for a drive today & apparently I was done before she was, because when I got home she didn't want to go into park so I could put the top up. Searched the forum & didn't find anything identical, but did find these possibilities:
1. Broken shifter cable - don't think it's this as we had it replaced 4 years ago when it broke, & the car would not change into ANY gear when it went. The car shifts through all gears fine, it just feels like it's hit something that won't budge when you push the shifter to park.
2. Gearshift assembly/solenoid - don't think it's this because the assembly was replaced 2 years ago, & while we haven't hooked up the Tech 2, we hear the solenoid clicking.

I got it to go into park by putting it in neutral & putting on the parking brake, then popping the parking brake off by putting it in drive. Did this a couple of times & got it to go into park, took it out of park & had to do that routine again to get it back into park. We're thinking some sensor related to the parking brake might have gone wonky (& Mike informs me that I'm the ONLY person on the planet that uses the parking brake. :( Hey, I spent most of my life in the mountains where you had to!). Any suggestions on possibilities - has anyone else has something like this happen? :dunno:

You might want to check the shifter cable adjustment. I had to have the cable replaced Nov/15. About a year later, I kept having trouble getting the shifter into park. If I didn't pay attention, when getting out of the car, it wouldn't go completely into park, leaving the power on, running the battery down. I took it to my local shop where it had been replaced and had them readjust the shifter. Works like a champ. Could be that might be your problem, just took longer to manifest itself

Took Beauty for a drive today & apparently I was done before she was, because when I got home she didn't want to go into park so I could put the top up. Searched the forum & didn't find anything identical, but did find these possibilities:
1. Broken shifter cable - don't think it's this as we had it replaced 4 years ago when it broke, & the car would not change into ANY gear when it went. The car shifts through all gears fine, it just feels like it's hit something that won't budge when you push the shifter to park.
2. Gearshift assembly/solenoid - don't think it's this because the assembly was replaced 2 years ago, & while we haven't hooked up the Tech 2, we hear the solenoid clicking.

I got it to go into park by putting it in neutral & putting on the parking brake, then popping the parking brake off by putting it in drive. Did this a couple of times & got it to go into park, took it out of park & had to do that routine again to get it back into park. We're thinking some sensor related to the parking brake might have gone wonky (& Mike informs me that I'm the ONLY person on the planet that uses the parking brake. :( Hey, I spent most of my life in the mountains where you had to!). Any suggestions on possibilities - has anyone else has something like this happen? :dunno:

You still have that car trailer, don't you? :reddevil

You might want to check the shifter cable adjustment. I had to have the cable replaced Nov/15. About a year later, I kept having trouble getting the shifter into park. If I didn't pay attention, when getting out of the car, it wouldn't go completely into park, leaving the power on, running the battery down. I took it to my local shop where it had been replaced and had them readjust the shifter. Works like a champ. Could be that might be your problem, just took longer to manifest itself

Thanks - we'll check into that, not as easy as if we could do something with the Tech 2, but better than replacing stuff. Only difference is mine absolutely won't go into park at all when it acts up, sounds like yours was faking you out on it.

Update: seems something was hanging up with the parking brake that was causing the problem. Mike disengaged it with the manual lever & he said it was working fine after testing it a half a dozen times. I haven't tested it but I take his word on it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom