Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Folding top works OK but the Deck Lid will not open alone. It unlatches but the Hydraulic pump doesn't turn on.

WB6BBZ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 #165 of 250 Limited Edition Star Black Metallic
Hi gang, its me Jack (2006 Star Black Metallic Limited Edition XLR)
I know I've been away for about 3 years but I'm still alive and living down here in Biloxi, MS. (Hot, Humid and full of Mosquitos! Sorry I moved here!)

I'm having trouble with my Trunk and I've taken it to 2 local dealers in this area and the first one started out by insisting that he had to replace the hydraulic pump even though I used the system to put the top in the trunk and back up. Showing him that the trunk opened and closed like it should and would believe he tried to convinced me that the trunk lid worked on a different pump than the top! With that, I got in my car and left without letting them touch my car.
That dealer was in the South-western part of MS. in the town of Gulfport. And they are the only Cadillac dealer in southern MS.

I found a GM dealer in the south-eastern part of the state that was also a Cadillac Service Center and they were willing to hookup the Scan Tool and check for error codes and there were none. I suggested that they do a refresh on the programming and they tried that but it didn't fix the porblem.

So, has anybody else had the same problem with their XLR???

I've read through the "Knowledgebase" and have not found a resolution to my problem.

By the way, my new address and phone numbers are:

Jack L. Kimbrough
15409 Wagon Wheel St.
Biloxi, MS.

Home phone:1-228-354-9538
Cell Phone:1-228-243-1193

Jack
im a bit confused. Your saying the trunk works fine with the top up or down command ? I've fixed a few of these that acted like yours with a tech 2 relearn. Next time u try the trunk from the trunk pad see if you can give it a little up ward help by hand and see if that works. I'm kind of leaning to the trunk latch or the helper struts. Was the dealer that did the relearn familiar with that procedure??
V Happy:dunno:

Moving out of the SITE HELP AND FEEDBACK forum and into the correct XLR TECH forum...

http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/10118-folding-top-works-ok-but-the-deck-lid-will-not-open-alo

Jack
im a bit confused. Your saying the trunk works fine with the top up or down command ? I've fixed a few of these that acted like yours with a tech 2 relearn. Next time u try the trunk from the trunk pad see if you can give it a little up ward help by hand and see if that works. I'm kind of leaning to the trunk latch or the helper struts. Was the dealer that did the relearn familiar with that procedure??
V Happy:dunno:

V Happy,
My problem with the dealers I've taken my XLR to is they WON'T do a RELEARN with their Tech 2!
I think they're just trying to see how much money I'm willing to pay to get my trunk lid to operate like it's suppose to.

Apparently, you missed the part of my blog where I mentioned the trunk lid UNLATCHES when I use the touch pad, the FOB and the button on the dash and I can manually lift the trunk lid up and it will close down and latch and lock by pulling it down.

I am retired and have lots of time on my hands and I just purchased a 2008 Dodge Durango SLT AWD with a Black Metallic paint job that almost matches the Star Black Metallic paint job of my XLR. It only has 63K miles and it has more creature comforts in it than my XLR plus I can throw an air mattress and sleeping bag in the back to sleep in it and save money by not spending nights in motels. Besides, Fall is a good time to drive across this beautiful country and I'm etching to travel.

Please let me know if you are willing to relearn/refresh my XLR software if I bring it up to you to you in about a week or whatever time frame you are available.

Thank you,
Jack

Do you have a favorite Chevy deal?

Find the relearn steps on here, print it out, take it to your Chevy dealer, have them do it.

They should have a Tech II and can do it.

Since your folding top is operating correctly, re-indexing the windows shouldn't have any affect.

A number of owners have described the same symptoms as you (I had this issue several times) and it was initially corrected by putting the folding top through two or three complete cycles. Since it only costs you a few minutes of your time, I'd try that first. I ended up replacing folding top position sensor that was slowly going bad a few months later.

I can't imagine why a dealer wouldn't attempt a top re-learn (it takes less than five minutes. . . ) but it might also do the trick. As stated previously, Chevy dealers are equipped with the Tech 2 and can access the re-learn procedure easily enough. If one of your sensors is on the ragged edge, the top can operate, but the rear deck lid may not open since the FTC module doesn't know exactly where the folding top components are when raised. Which brings up another thing to try:

Stow the top and then try to operate the rear deck lid in that configuration. Report back with changes (if any.)

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Trunk Lid problem.

Since your folding top is operating correctly, re-indexing the windows shouldn't have any affect.

A number of owners have described the same symptoms as you (I had this issue several times) and it was initially corrected by putting the folding top through two or three complete cycles. Since it only costs you a few minutes of your time, I'd try that first. I ended up replacing folding top position sensor that was slowly going bad a few months later.

I can't imagine why a dealer wouldn't attempt a top re-learn (it takes less than five minutes. . . ) but it might also do the trick. As stated previously, Chevy dealers are equipped with the Tech 2 and can access the re-learn procedure easily enough. If one of your sensors is on the ragged edge, the top can operate, but the rear deck lid may not open since the FTC module doesn't know exactly where the folding top components are when raised. Which brings up another thing to try:

Stow the top and then try to operate the rear deck lid in that configuration. Report back with changes (if any.)

CC :wave:
Hi CCClarke

I lowered the top and made sure it was stowed completly, several times and that didn't work. At least that says the top up senors are ok?
I've gone through my service manuals and tried the cycling the ignition on & off 50 times and that didn't work.
I'm searching for the "Relearn Procedure" that was mentioned and could not find it in my manuals so where is it in here?

There is something the Trunk Lid does that I didn't mention before, at the completion of the top cycle, when the Lid is suppose to close, the pump is running and I have to release the Folding Top Switch and re-press it for the Lid to close. It doesn't matter if I'm putting the top up or down, It's like when you put the top up and after its up you release the switch and tap it to put the both windows up except I have to hold the switch down until the lid completely closes.

I think I might just drive up to Bowling Green and ask the factory to do the relearn for me.
The chevy dealer I took it to did connect their Scan Tool and the only code that was thrown was the low voltage caused by the Battery Tender going bad and drained the battery down to zero volts. I ask the service manger why he didn't do the relearn/refresh on the software and his reply was they check the software version and it was the latest version so they didn't do the relearn.

If you know the relearn instructions are located here, please guide me to them, Its been 3 years since I've been here and there has been a lot of changes and at 77 years old now, I either forget what I'm looking for or get bored and fall asleep.
icon9.gif
icon11.gif

Tnx again CC
Jack (WB6BBZ)

Help! Folding top works OK but the Deck Lid will not open alone. It unlatches but the Hydraulic pump doesn't turn on.

Scroll down to post #7 by CCCLARKE. That's how to drill down in the menu of a TECHII for relearn

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ns-with-top-switch.html?highlight=top+relearn

Well gang, got her fixed and found 2 Cadillac dealers in my area of Southern Mississippi that I DO NOT TRUST!
If anyone is keeping a list of questionable dealers in my area, send me a private message and I will give you the info on the Caddie dealers to avoid!

I did what Rex?? suggested and took my XLR to a Local Chevy dealer that's only a 10 minute drive from my home.
I didn't even make a reservation, just pulled into the Service Bay, explained to the service person what my problem was and requested they connect the Scan Tool to the vehicle and perform the FTC RELEARN.
2 Hours later they returned my car ALL FIXED!
Why did it take 2 hours? My car was 5th in line, actual time it took to relearn the FTC = ~10 minutes!

It's feels really GREAT to find a trustworthy dealership!
If this dealer wouldn't do the FTC relearn, I was going to take my car to Bowling Green.

Now CCC, I'm relaxing with a tall chilled mug of 4 oz of Jack Daniels and 8 oz Bud Light. MMMMMM

I think I might just drive up to Bowling Green and ask the factory to do the relearn for me.

Tnx again CC
Jack (WB6BBZ)

That's not going to happen. I don't think the BG factory will do anything for you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom