Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk and top won't move

Txmxbarajas

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR-V
I bought my 06 V a month ago and the top and trunk worked fine when i got it. A week later the trunk won't open. I let it sit overnight and it works again. This happens intermittently a few more times until now that the trunk and top no longer move. I've tried all trunk buttons and none move the trunk. All that happens is the trunk unlatches and I can open it manually and it stays up. I then have to close it manually as the trunk close button will not do anything either. When I do press it though, I can hear a relay like click coming from the hydraulic pump area, but no motor sound or anything else. When trying to put the top down, I hold the down button and the windows go down, then nothing happens. No warning messages either. Is this a blown motor or could it be the control module?

Have you had a relearn done on the top?
That’s first thing I would try. Could be lot of things.

Have you had a relearn done on the top?
That’s first thing I would try. Could be lot of things.

I haven't yet, but I do think I'm going to call around and see if a dealership can do it for me for a reasonable price or otherwise I may just go ahead and buy a tech 2 clone to do it myself.

s-l1600[2] (2).jpg

Hy Tx

Check the fuses, check the hydraulic container oil level of the pump, it should be between the 2 marks. ( Is a message code showing in the cluster).
If the level is low that could mean a leak of the hydraulic tubing network.

It could be the module, check for moisture it could be one of the problems, the pump it self or the sensors and switch they could be also defectives….it could be any thing.

For you in getting to know your XLR, the purchase of a repair shop manual would be also a good start in working with a Tech 2 . (if you are confortable in doing so ).

On the heading of this site is a work shop advertising that does only this repairs of hydraulic retractable top... give him a call, it could help also.

He is the known expert.

Good luck.

IAN:wave:

If you're really serious, get a TECH II clone. I got mine for around 400$ including the huge case. Relearn the top 3 times and you've got your money back compared with the dealer charges. And that's if you find a dealer that has someone that knows about the XLR

Hi Rexster - do you happen to have a link of where you purchased your Tech II clone? Thanks!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom