Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2004 XLR has dead battery

JCroegaert

Seasoned Member
My 2004 XLR has dead battery & my emergency key for rear is lost. Will Cadillac Dealer have a master key or will they have to order via my VIN. Car is in a garage. I just returned from 2 week vacation and faubs won't work. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll have to order one from dealer And vin #
Unless they happen to have a extra trunk key for the Xlr's. But I dought it. The parts dept always has extra batteries in stock for the fobs

Last edited:
Order an extra!

I just ordered an extra this week for that very reason!

Emergency keys are not available from dealership any more. I went to Reds locksmith in Pasadena tx. The removed the glovebox lock to make the first 4 notches in the key, then found 21 other key codes to cut the remaining notches in the key. Took them about 9 hours, but now I have 2 emergency keys. Cost was $120.

if you can reach under the front and unplug the electric fan, you can you can hook a trickle charger to the plug and it and it will open the doors. I thought the key in the fob would work In the bumper. Maybe that's the later style fob. oops I see you have an 04. I can tell you which wires to attach battery charger to if you want to get in that way. You will need to jack up one side but I think the plug is easier to get to than opening the trunk by yourself.

Last edited:
Take your registration and ID> to dealer and they will cut a new key. I had a new key ccut last year for $20.

I have a slightly different situation. The car was hit in the rear end and the key access doesn't exist. It's also an 04. Which line do I have to put the tender on?
Also I think I should hard wire a line to battery to connect the tender to and have plug access from the outside of the car. This isnt the first time the battery died. It is however the first time that the car was locked up. Replaced the battery a couple mouths ago.

so you cant get the trunk open
to get to the emergency driver door release
to pop the hood
so you can recharge the battery.
and you want to know is there another way to attach the battery charger to the positive side of the vehicle so you can get a door open ???
yes you need to add a lead for your battery tender directly to the battery.
it is easy. and can be easily pulled up thru the rain cowl and be at the base of the windshield for when you need it
i keep mine on the tender all the time ;)

sorry i dont have an answer to your more important question...

so are you saying there is nothing behind the little key hole cover In the rear bumper?[/that’s exactly what I’m saying. There’s nothing there so the trunk won’t open. What I need is access to a positive line to trickle some power to the battery. Enough to trigger the door locks.

there is a post here where someone slid under the car , unplugged the electric fan at the radiator and charged the battery from there .

Just got back from a local car show went to get ready to leave and al if the sudden no juice. So It seams like I’m only getting 3 years out of my battery. It’s been 3 years since I replaced the battery from the last local car show I attended. Is there something I’m missing or is 3 years the max for our cars battery.
X is a 2006 called my service guy and he said the price has gone up on the kind of battery I have from 3 or so years ago. I think he said either it’s been 3 years or I had a 3 year 36 month battery. Now their price is around 350$ vs 2 something when I replaced it last

Last edited:
Hey

Maybe Walmart ?? I got a battery for my '06 X-V on October 30 of '18 at Walmart. Ever-start 5 year warranty (3 year free replacement, 2 year pro-rate) 119.00 bucks out the door.

Walmart Battery Finder

Works great. No issues. Understand right now it's only a year and a half, but if it crapped out right now, just take it back and be out the door with a new one. Car sits now for two, two and a half weeks sometimes ...no tender. Starts right up. Something to think about.

Bill

I thought about the good deal at Walmart. But I had a autozone right around the corner vs Walmart 30-45 min away. I got this duralast gold 5 year 60 month with 36 month replacement warranty for $159 and I signed up for their autozone rewards so I got $10 off $50 or more. So that saved me then I got the battery terminal protection for $1.50. So hopefully this will save me for a couple years. Hopefully til 2025 or longer. Asked how long the battery was on the shelf for. He said since dec.
0a55e158fe70e602d43f38017b2af085.plist
40655db7fb9e1929e2b1e688d30926dd.jpg

Now I just have a clicking sound that hopefully just us a simple reset of all the functions. The windows go up and down. Didn’t check the top yet but I think the last time I changed battery’s the clicking sound was mainly the side mirrors

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry