Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2004 XLR won't start not battery or fuses

MattBlueXLR

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue XLR
My 2004 XLR wont start. Key FOB's are recognized, but when I push the start button nothing happens. Yes, I'm pushing the brake pedal as well. The engine does not try to crank, the battery does not make a click. Interior lights work fine, and about 5 seconds after hitting the start button, all of the gauges on the instrument panel come to life as though the car has started. So I tested the battery and found it was low on CCA, so I replaced it. Nothing changed, still won't start. Hooked up scanner, but found no errors. So my mechanic and I traced fuses for fuel pump, starter, etc. (by the way, we do hear the fuel pump when the car tries to start). swapped a couple relay modules in the fuse box, to confirm that starter and fuel pump relays were working properly.

If I toggle the engine start button downward to turn on accessories, I can move the shift lever to Neutral, but the car won't start in that position either. This is confirm that the transmission lockout is functioning properly.

From other threads I've read, it sounds like it could be the starter, but since you have to remove the top of the engine to get to it, I was looking for any other results that someone might have found in a similar situation.

Thanks for your responses in advance. Matt

could still be the brake switch l. I would check it and make sure the lights are working when you press the brake to start. I sort of press the brake to start anything but not sure its even required? Is the fob working the windows and lock buttons?

Fobs are working and I'm not getting a FOB error when I hit the "Start" button. How do you check the brake switch?

Matt, I had these same problems on my 2005. I am not mechanical at all, so just telling you what happened with my car. Had everything checked and had these problems on and off for 1.5 years. I changed these fuses and relays at box under the hood, and have never had the problem again. Fuses I changed: 7, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32, 43 and 44. The last 2 are relays. I changed every fuse or relay that had anything to do with starter, ignition or battery. Just thought I would tell you because changing the starter is so expensive.

Matt, I had these same problems on my 2005. I am not mechanical at all, so just telling you what happened with my car. Had everything checked and had these problems on and off for 1.5 years. I changed these fuses and relays at box under the hood, and have never had the problem again. Fuses I changed: 7, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32, 43 and 44. The last 2 are relays. I changed every fuse or relay that had anything to do with starter, ignition or battery. Just thought I would tell you because changing the starter is so expensive.
Changing my starter now . What a job. What a drag. Will recommend a hoist.

Bill

I try that. Cheaper than replacing the starter.

Check your suspension module in the trunk make sure all plugs are securely in place. Check tan/tan with black stripe gmlan wires are all connected. When the gmlan wires are disconnected the car will not start. Use Tech II and try to connect to suspension module.

My 2004 XLR wont start. Key FOB's are recognized, but when I push the start button nothing happens. Yes, I'm pushing the brake pedal as well. The engine does not try to crank, the battery does not make a click. Interior lights work fine, and about 5 seconds after hitting the start button, all of the gauges on the instrument panel come to life as though the car has started. So I tested the battery and found it was low on CCA, so I replaced it. Nothing changed, still won't start. Hooked up scanner, but found no errors. So my mechanic and I traced fuses for fuel pump, starter, etc. (by the way, we do hear the fuel pump when the car tries to start). swapped a couple relay modules in the fuse box, to confirm that starter and fuel pump relays were working properly.

If I toggle the engine start button downward to turn on accessories, I can move the shift lever to Neutral, but the car won't start in that position either. This is confirm that the transmission lockout is functioning properly.

From other threads I've read, it sounds like it could be the starter, but since you have to remove the top of the engine to get to it, I was looking for any other results that someone might have found in a similar situation.

I have a 2006 xlr about twice a year i have a no start problem identical you are describing. To reset the car I remove the crank relay and jump pin 30 and 87 after the engine cranks for a sec. replace the relay and it starts every time.

Were the fuses blown or a bad connection?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom