Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2005 DVD player inoperable

davidxlr

Have had my 05 for 11 years. Overall very little to complain about. However for awhile everytime the map button is engaged it asks to insert a disk. Of course the disk is inserted. Have taken disk out and cleaned. Have cleaned DVD player. Seems other DVDs dont play either.
Dealer looked at it yesterday and "rebooted" or reset the unit but still same response. They said choice (if I want it fixed) was to either have them remove the unit and send it to a repair facility where the cost to repair will likely be at least 600-800 dollars (if fixable); if not, prolly incur another DX charge. Buy a refurbished unit for about 1500-1600 dollars or a new unit for twice that.
I have read a few theads on here about similar situations, but didnt see many resolutions.
Anybody got any suggestions? Other options in dealing with this situation?
I dont like the blue screen all the time, and would like for it to work again as I plan on keeping this car.
CD player and sat radio work fine.
Thanks for any input.

Everything I've seen the CD player goes belly up but not the DVD/Nav drive. Sounds like the laser might have given up. Yep, you're looking at around $500 to fix and 1500 to rebuild and 3200$ (gmpartsdirect) for a new one.
My cd deck has error messages but I'm not going to do anything about it just yet, even though my extended warranty will cover it.

If it were me, I'd either live with it or have an aftermarket unit installed. For the $1,500 you'd have to spend to have the current unit rebuilt, you can have a much better head unit with updated navigation, Bluetooth and a number of other features and still have a few hundred extra bucks in your pocket. That's just way too much money to spend on an obsolete factory head unit that doesn't hold a candle to other products on the market. The most up to date disc you can use in the stock unit is from 2009, which was already out of date by the time it became available.

There are a few threads in this forum that go over what's involved with installing a 3rd party head unit. Most reputable audio shops shouldn't have any problems if you're not much of a DIYer. That's the route I'd go if it was something I absolutely needed fixed. Only other option is to check ebay and see if there are any used units for sale which I guarantee would be less than $1,500.. Sorry I still can't get over that ridiculous price.

Best After Market Replacement?

I have decided to replace the dvd unit with an aftermarket unit with current features. Any suggestions on what brand/model unit will imbed/incorporate best with the 05 xlr?
Looking for someone who has actually gone this route with good results!
Thanks so much.

I haven't personally attempted this, but here is a thread started by a guy that has:

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ds/8602-appradio-4-a.html?highlight=app+radio

If this is something you would like to do, I would read through that thread in its entirety, there's a lot of great information in there. I'd also do a search on the forum using the search text box on the top right of the page to find out as much info as you can. That said, one must be aware that there was never a wire harness made specific for the XLR, there are ones that work and I believe the Harness brand and model number are listed in the thread above. Some features such as the HUD will not display radio information anymore, so that is something you should be aware of. Although personally I could definitely live without that feature if it meant having a head unit with USB/AUX inputs, Bluetooth and updated NAV.

Unfortunately I cannot give any recommendations on current aftermarket Head Units. The last time I purchased one and installed it was in a different vehicle around 4 years ago. Pioneer units are usually very well made, I'd find a unit in their lineup or any brand for that matter, get the model number and search for it on amazon or crutchfield.com and read the reviews posted there.

I had a Kenwood DNX8120 in my 09 Enclave installed when I first bought the car. The fact that Kenwood uses Garmin maps was a major selling point with me. The installed data could be updated with an SD card which in fact I did after several years. Simple as inserting the card in the head unit. I haven't kept up with the newer versions of Kenwood nor Pioneer (although the AppRadio does sound interesting) But I would certainly give Kenwood a look because they're using Garmin maps Look at this one from Crutchfield. Kenwood Excelon DNX893S Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Parts Quote

I have a few of the Sony DVS-2010 lasers in good condition in my parts bin. $275.00 for me to replace, plus the shipping fees. Best deal in the country.

I have a few of the Sony DVS-2010 lasers in good condition in my parts bin. $275.00 for me to replace, plus the shipping fees. Best deal in the country.

I clicked on the link to your "parts bin" and it said Sorry page doesnt exist.
Can you send me the info in a PM or repost a working link.
thanks

It's Old School

There is no link to my "parts bin." It' really an old fashioned "parts bin," that I go to for parts. There is no network link to it. I have get up and walk to it when I want a part.

There is no link to my "parts bin." It' really an old fashioned "parts bin," that I go to for parts. There is no network link to it. I have get up and walk to it when I want a part.

How many of these units have you fixed with this part?

DVD player

Have had my 05 for 11 years. Overall very little to complain about. However for awhile everytime the map button is engaged it asks to insert a disk. Of course the disk is inserted. Have taken disk out and cleaned. Have cleaned DVD player. Seems other DVDs dont play either.
Dealer looked at it yesterday and "rebooted" or reset the unit but still same response. They said choice (if I want it fixed) was to either have them remove the unit and send it to a repair facility where the cost to repair will likely be at least 600-800 dollars (if fixable); if not, prolly incur another DX charge. Buy a refurbished unit for about 1500-1600 dollars or a new unit for twice that.
I have read a few theads on here about similar situations, but didnt see many resolutions.
Anybody got any suggestions? Other options in dealing with this situation?
I dont like the blue screen all the time, and would like for it to work again as I plan on keeping this car.
CD player and sat radio work fine.
Thanks for any input.
I have a radio/DVD player from a 2004 XLR, was working when I took it out before I sold car. Price is $500.00. You can contact me at 813-400-4733, text or call.

Radio/Nav

I have decided to replace the dvd unit with an aftermarket unit with current features. Any suggestions on what brand/model unit will imbed/incorporate best with the 05 xlr?
Looking for someone who has actually gone this route with good results!
Thanks so much.

I have a 2005 XLR. I have not actually gone through this myself, but am currently shopping around for a aftermarket unit. I was told That Kenwood was the best option and they also told me that the speakers would also need to be replaced. This quote for $1600, including speakers, was from Car Toys.

I have a 2005 XLR. I have not actually gone through this myself, but am currently shopping around for a aftermarket unit. I was told That Kenwood was the best option and they also told me that the speakers would also need to be replaced. This quote for $1600, including speakers, was from Car Toys.

Please keep us updated as to how this project develops

2005 XLR DVD player

90% of the time mine won't recognize the GPS DVD. It plays movies just fine. On rare occasions it will fine the disk and work fine, but it takes for freaking ever to do anything. I know in computers the DVD players have a common connector, has anyone been inside the system to know if we can just plug in a standard player? I'd love to drop in a standard solid state HD and be done with it.

90% of the time mine won't recognize the GPS DVD. It plays movies just fine. On rare occasions it will fine the disk and work fine, but it takes for freaking ever to do anything. I know in computers the DVD players have a common connector, has anyone been inside the system to know if we can just plug in a standard player? I'd love to drop in a standard solid state HD and be done with it.

More cost and worry than it's worth. Gonna clone a Garmin to a HD? Do like I did. Have a new head/nav unit installed. Cost about as much in the long run I'm sure.

Using Rexster's install instructions, I had the Kenwood DNX 893S installed in my 2005 XLR and could not be happier.
Existing Bose speakers sound better than ever! Find an Audio Master Tech to do it; many Best Buy's have one and the overall cost was less than buying a reconditioned OEM unit.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom