Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2005 XLR axle back exhaust or less expensive options

centexXLR

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to express my excitement that I just joined this forum. I just purchased a 2005 XLR (The ruby red color - sorry didnt look it up) with my father at a Meccum Auto Show last weekend. This my first post :)
At any rate. I wanted to ask - as one of the first mods my father and I will be changing the exhaust - is there an axle back system that is able to be purchased? So JUST the two mufflers with tips - nothing past the first break in the pipes after they come down from the axle to the straight pipe.

OR perhaps a less expensive option than the 1800 Corsas that I am finding is the only option for the 2005 ... maybe a used set if anyone knows?

Do the c6 corvette mufflers fit on the XLR's? I have not been able to find the answer to that either ...

Please let me know what you guys have seen or others have done.

Thank you,

CentexXLR

Last edited:
Not sure about the 'Vette mufflers, but a trip to a local Corvette shop should answer that question very easily

Theirs only a couple manufacturers of a axle back system. Magnaflow,corsa,and Gibson. All three are in the same price boat.
Yes a c6 axle back system will work and bolt up years 05-13. The one modification that will need to be made is the spacing between the end of the muffler and the start of the exhaust tip. A corvette doesn't have a protruded bumper whereas the xlr does. So you have to make up the difference add a three inch piece of pipe. I put on a c6 axle back setup and wasn't much throatier than the stock exhaust it came with. :dunno:
I personally went with a full custom setup, hooker mufflers ceramic coated pipes and one of a kind tips. Good luck with your decision

Thanks guys - I came to the same conclusion after much searching yesterday. We ended up going with SLP powerflo unit -- due to cost (not my call) ...but it should improve the look and sound quite a bit ... I will come back with pictures.. :thumbsup

Glad for you, just doesn't do much for me after listening to some of them on YouTube. I prefer the mellow burble of the stocks

Billy Boat also sells an axle-back for the XLR.

On the C6 compatibility issue, Billy Boat said the hangers are also different.

attachment.php

Pic of exhaust - sorry for the blur -- long night and shaking camera hand .. the burn marks you see are from the stock exhaust that was on there - the previous owner had them touching the bumper ..:rolleyes:

attachment.php

Pic of exhaust - sorry for the blur -- long night and shaking camera hand .. the burn marks you see are from the stock exhaust that was on there - the previous owner had them touching the bumper ..:rolleyes:

Like to see a full rear pic to see how they look.:thumbsup

pics coming tonight hopefully - after i fixed the battery issue from the prior post I took her for a nice long drive -- the exhaust sounds perfect .. not too loud but def aggressive and little to no drone - and when you hit it ... man the sound is so good... def completes the car.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom