Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2005 XLR Navigation disk

odtekman

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Just 4 days ago I picked up my '05 XLR. Love it! The nav disc I was given gets a message "reading disc" that never changes. The disc is # 866271-60V712 Version 6.3. Does anyone know why this would not work???

My guess is a bad disc or a bad player. Try and see if it will play a different DVD.

A Polished Disk is a Happy Disk...

Just 4 days ago I picked up my '05 XLR. Love it! The nav disc I was given gets a message "reading disc" that never changes. The disc is # 866271-60V712 Version 6.3. Does anyone know why this would not work???

Welcome to the forum! :blinzel:

There's a thread on here that talks about the occasional need to have the DVD nav' disk cleaned. Don't just try to wipe it, and never go around the disk. Best thought: take it to one of those places that rents DVD's and ask them to clean it. My nav' system didn't work when I got the car, so I used a Macguiar's (sp?) kit for cleaning the headlight covers and (after about 20 minutes of polishing) it fixed all the problems, including voice recognition. See the thread for all the comments.

Again, WELCOME!!!

Tim

Welcome to the forum! :blinzel:

There's a thread on here that talks about the occasional need to have the DVD nav' disk cleaned. Don't just try to wipe it, and never go around the disk. Best thought: take it to one of those places that rents DVD's and ask them to clean it. My nav' system didn't work when I got the car, so I used a Macguiar's (sp?) kit for cleaning the headlight covers and (after about 20 minutes of polishing) it fixed all the problems, including voice recognition. See the thread for all the comments.

Again, WELCOME!!!

Tim

WOW!!!! Just by cleaning your headlight covers it fixed all the car's problems!!!! Must be REALLY GREAT stuff!! :)

WOW!!!! Just by cleaning your headlight covers it fixed all the car's problems!!!! Must be REALLY GREAT stuff!! :)

Oh, man, and to have to deal with this on a Monday morning. :lol:

I guess there are a lot of complex interactions on an XLR. Who woulda guessed?

:chuckle:chuckle

Tim

2005 XLR map disk quest

Guys, my search continues. I read somewhere (I've been looking everywhere) that the UPDATE disks will not work without the original disk being run first? Does anyone know if this is true? AND how do we get an original disk for a 2005 without having to rob a bank first? :confused:

PS - I've already polished my headlight lenses. :lol:

Nav dsisks

While my memory may be fading, I believe the disks are not copy protected and can be copied. If you can find someone with a current set of diskettes he/she can copy a set for you. Give it a shot.

Guys, my search continues. I read somewhere (I've been looking everywhere) that the UPDATE disks will not work without the original disk being run first? Does anyone know if this is true? AND how do we get an original disk for a 2005 without having to rob a bank first?

PS - I've already polished my headlight lenses. :lol:

You don't need the original disk. However, I will note that in my 2004, copied disks generally worked, but failed if the car had been sitting in the sun long enough to be well-baked. Oddly, this does not seem to be an issue with my 2008.

What appear to be originals of the latest (version 8, 15923893U) are on ebay, along with older ones.

Toyota/Lexus gen2/3 disks also work, except for speech recognition and spoken responses.

On the other hand, for the cost of a disk you can buy a decent Garmin with free map updates and traffic.

You don't need the original disk. However, I will note that in my 2004, copied disks generally worked, but failed if the car had been sitting in the sun long enough to be well-baked. Oddly, this does not seem to be an issue with my 2008.

What appear to be originals of the latest (version 8, 15923893U) are on ebay, along with older ones.

Toyota/Lexus gen2/3 disks also work, except for speech recognition and spoken responses.

On the other hand, for the cost of a disk you can buy a decent Garmin with free map updates and traffic.

Do you know if the issue is with voice commands and responses only? Do the Toyota disks give turn-by-turn directions? I never use voice commands but could appreciate more up to date nav data.

I personally use my phone in all my vehicles for GPS. One unit for all cars, up to date and all my contacts. I suggest investing in a good mount for the cars.

I use and recommend a Kuda mounts. KUDA OEM leather iPhone GPS Mount for CADILLAC XLR (since 2004) black

The toyota/lexus disks do address and place searching, and do turn-by-turn routing. Note you must use a gen2/3 disk. As the first XLRs were being built Toyota was switching to gen4, and by 2008 they were already at gen5. Fortunately, unlike *some* car companies, toyota continues to release map updates for older systems.

I once spent a lot of time looking at and starting to decode the .kwi file(s) and if I were sufficiently motivated, I'm sure I could write a program to unpack all the files and build new ones with the speech stuff from an ELR disk and the maps and pois from a toyota disk. But, my Garmin is so much better that I simply don't see any reason to do it. And that's before considering all the IP violations I'd be committing.

Yep I agree $100 Garmin with lifetime updates, 4 times a year, what more can you ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yep I agree $100 Garmin with lifetime updates, 4 times a year, what more can you ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I ask for a single device that I always have with me regardless of which vehicle I'm in and has the capability to download live map data updates. Gives live traffic info and able to sync with routes I layout on my home PC. Cost is free and can interface thru the car audio system so turn by turn instructions temporarily mute music. Did I forget to mention it gives a street view of the destination once you get close? :)

Did you ever look at this information on Hybrid disks Lexus owners have been making?

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD - Page 18 - Club Lexus Forums

The toyota/lexus disks do address and place searching, and do turn-by-turn routing. Note you must use a gen2/3 disk. As the first XLRs were being built Toyota was switching to gen4, and by 2008 they were already at gen5. Fortunately, unlike *some* car companies, toyota continues to release map updates for older systems.

I once spent a lot of time looking at and starting to decode the .kwi file(s) and if I were sufficiently motivated, I'm sure I could write a program to unpack all the files and build new ones with the speech stuff from an ELR disk and the maps and pois from a toyota disk. But, my Garmin is so much better that I simply don't see any reason to do it. And that's before considering all the IP violations I'd be committing.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom