Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2008 XLR Anit-Sway Bar.

Bakertech

Seasoned Member
The parts for the rear Anti-Sway bar from my
gmnews.gif
dealer arrived.
Only $292.23 Cdn.!

I was surprized to find that the Bar is actually a Tube!
Anti-Sway Bars on older GM vehicles used to be Solid. Weight saving!!!
Apparently they are prone to breaking at the Link Hole on some GM models.

If it ever warms up and I do the install, I will put a heavy 1-1/4" diameter washer under the hole to help distribute stress.
Can't hurt.

Whomever is praying for snow, please stop!
icon9.gif

Gord.

gmnews.gif
dealer arrived.
Only $292.23 Cdn.!

I was surprized to find that the Bar is actually a Tube!

If it ever warms up and I do the install, I will put a heavy 1-1/4" diameter washer under the hole to help distribute stress.
Can't hurt.

icon9.gif

Gord.
Hi Gord thanks for the info.what side of the link are you putting the washer,stud or nut side,i'm guessing nut side?:dunno: getting another 5-6in tomorrow!! saw the praying for snow posted outside a church in CT.:lol: later, Al

I do not know what part number you used but when I ordered my anti sway bar with the info off this site I got a solid bar, not a tube!

Anti-Sway Bar

Hi Gord thanks for the info.what side of the link are you putting the washer,stud or nut side,i'm guessing nut side?:dunno: getting another 5-6in tomorrow!! saw the praying for snow posted outside a church in CT.:lol: later, Al

Thanks for pointing that out Al. I meant Channel not washer, so some of the load will be carried from the underside of the Bar end. Sort of a wrap of 0.100" SS formed around the bottom of the stamped end and drilled for the link stud. An "L" shape would also work.
Likely over-kill.
I am going to question the GM parts guy as to where exactly breakage occurs.

Anti-Sway Bar

I do not know what part number you used but when I ordered my anti sway bar with the info off this site I got a solid bar, not a tube!
The part number for the Bar I received was 15806422. I remarked to the parts guy that it seemed light weight and thats when he told me it was Tube. I may get it Ultrasonic Thickness tested to see how thick it is. I would estimate by the thickness of the two walls at the end that it is likely 0.100" wall thickness. 7/8" Solid Bar should weigh about 2lbs per foot. Approx 8 lbs. This weighs about 1/2 that I think.
Gord.

Rear Anti-Sway Tube.

Today, 18 March, I was able to get the Anti-Sway Bar (Tube) measured for Wall Thickness.
It is Part # 15806422 6YX. Ultrasonic Thickness readings including heavy paint was 4.3mm.
The nominal wall thickness of the tube is likely 5/32" or 0.156". Weight is about 2 lbs vs 8 lbs for solid bar 4' long.

gmnews.gif
dealer arrived.
Only $292.23 Cdn.!

I was surprised to find that the Bar is actually a Tube!:dunno:

When I do the installation, I will put a channel around the tube at the mounting holes to help distribute stress.
Can't hurt.

icon9.gif

Gord.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry