Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2008 XLR - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs

bearhntr

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Elektra Blue XLR
Looking for any videos or guides to replace these.

One of mine is out and I figured it would be easy - but getting under the front of the car, there appears to be cover which prevents access to them from under the car.

I was thinking I would replace them with some LED bulbs which are a closer color match to the headlights - maybe even something brighter. Any suggestions?

Has anyone replaced their headlights with LED? I have seen a few posts across the net where there are some replacements. I'm sure there has to be something brighter for this car.

Thanks,
BH

Replaced mine several years ago. It helps to turn the wheels right or left to give you more room to work on the respective sides. Remove some of the nylon/plastic push pins on the front close out panel (I think I did 4 of them) You can pull down the panel and get at the bulb socket for the fog lamp. Pop out the old one, pop in the old one, then button it back up. Repeat on the opposite side. Taking your time, you still can get it done in an hour or less.They're out of stock but I got THESE off Amazon 3 years ago and they're still working perfectly

Rex,

Thanks. Those LED Bulbs are no lone available. I had purchased some about 6 months ago - that according to the site, they will wok.

I was just not sure the best way to change them.

Will let you know how I fare.

I also need to replace that single 194 (I think it is) in the headlight. One of mine is out as well. Are those easy to replace?

Do you know of any headlights which are brighter (and pure white) which work? LED is preferred if possible.

Much Thanks!!
BH

Yeh, I knew they weren't available, I was just showing you what I used and the size of them. If you have a couple of marker lights out on the headlights, don't close everything up yet, feel up on the header and there's 3 nuts holding the headlight assembly. Can't remembet, I think a 10mm socket will do the trick, but remove those nuts, put a towel or masking tape on the bumper cover to guard against scratching it, then pull the headlight assembly straight out. You shouldn't have to unplug anything other than the socket holding the burnt out light. Reassemble in reverse, and you'll be good to go

Amazon shows several size 9005 bulbs that should work for the fog lights housing. They all seem to be in the 5000K to 6500K color range. Not sure about proper fit, but at least the plug part is compatible. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

John B.

Has anyone replaced their headlights with LED? I have seen a few posts across the net where there are some replacements. I'm sure there has to be something brighter for this car.

Thanks,
BH

I don't know about the headlight part of your question except to say that you might try replacing the Xenon bulbs themselves. Like halogens, I suppose, they likely get a bit dimmer with age.

Brightness isn't everything, at least "apparent" brightness. LED light tends to be concentrated more toward the blue end of the spectrum (higher Kelvin #). Add any dust, fog, etc. and the light reflects off of it, whereas the stock lights will better punch through.

I was able cram my hand into the openings behind both headlights and I replaced both 194 white bulbs in the inside edge of the lights with LED's. I think any other bulbs you'd want to replace in the housing would have to be done after the housing gets pulled, in which case you might want to be prepared to replace them all.

John B.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back