Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! SHOCKS/STRUTS/CONTROL ARMS

NYCDGS

Good Morning need some advice, my front 2006 shocks/struts (which one are they) seems to be leaking so I need to replace them, from what I understand you have to replace the control arms uppers and lowers, is that correct? Also do the springs that go around the shocks come with them or do you replace those also. When I go over a bump I feel like I hit a wall, and when my mechanic was rocking the car it was very bouncy, any help is greatly appreciated, just need to know what parts to order to get it fixed, thanks.

Control arms? Not necessary unless the rubber has rotted away.
Shocks? Get ready for a real shock. Last I saw the factory front shocks were going for around 400$ a shock.

Control arms? Not necessary unless the rubber has rotted away.
Shocks? Get ready for a real shock. Last I saw the factory front shocks were going for around 400$ a shock.
Thank you, yes cheapest I found was $423 from RockAuto.com. So I should just buy the shocks for now, I don't believe the control arms rubber are bad, but will check. Is there anything else I hear people changing them out for Bilsteins which what would be the difference between those and OEM's?

You remove the upper a arms to make it easier to install the shocks. There is no need to replace them unless the bushings are badThere are no springs around them. You do not mention what year your car is.

Oh ok. Missed it. Most people put it in the area under their handle. 06 does not have the module problem so oem is good. You may not find the rear for the 06. if the fronts are bad the rear will usually also be bad.

If you have springs around you shocks, than you some aftermarket setup on there and none of the above advise applies to your situation.

XLR come stock with a fiberglass spring that runs across the front (and one across the rear) to the lower control arms. Someone may have replaced this with coil over struts in the past.

Good Morning need some advice, my front 2006 shocks/struts (which one are they) seems to be leaking so I need to replace them, from what I understand you have to replace the control arms uppers and lowers, is that correct? Also do the springs that go around the shocks come with them or do you replace those also. When I go over a bump I feel like I hit a wall, and when my mechanic was rocking the car it was very bouncy, any help is greatly appreciated, just need to know what parts to order to get it fixed, thanks.
I just changed mine 2 weeks ago and the fronts cost me $1200. Then the backs went out. Im taking all them off and doing a delete of magride. But im also swapping to LS3 motor. If you're interested I have recipient and warranty will sell to you for half price.

shocks/struts (which one are they)

Struts are McPherson struts. Very widely used on mass-produced front wheel drive cars of today. Sometimes on the rear. They combine the shock and spring in a single, near vertical tall unit giving more room in the engine bay for a transverse engine placement. They have a very complex top movement, which is 'fixed' by having a flexible rubber top mounting that copes with the geometry variations. They shouldn't work as well as they do, but they turn out to be a surprisingly good compromise.
Our XLRs have shocks and a full, correct geometry suspension. More expensive, intrudes further towards the center-line of the vehicle, while being lower-profile. Much more adjustable, keeps the tires more aligned to the surface of the road.

I replaced my front struts for $930.00 for both original parts, but now I am getting a reading saying can't go past 80 MPH and also service ride control, can you tell me why? Maybe they forgot to put a sensor on? I am baffled it's the same original part as the old one.

Oh ok. Missed it. Most people put it in the area under their handle. 06 does not have the module problem so oem is good. You may not find the rear for the 06. if the fronts are bad the rear will usually also be bad.
I got the OEM shocks/strut put in the front the Control Arms where good, but now I am getting a read out (not engine code) saying don't go past 80 mph and also service ride control, are maybe the sensor's not connected correctly? I am at a loss why, do I need to buy the Ride Control now, crazy with replacing original with original and then get these read outs on the display.

Lets hope its not the module but an 06 used one is cheap. If you did not have the service light before, it coukd beva couple of things. The shocks can be damaged if they installed the top bolt with an impact wrench. It can spin the shaft and damage the shock.
Lets hope its just the connector on top not plugged in . its easy to check and you can see it under the hood on top of the shock. It just snaps on,
I assume you bought delco shocks. They coukd be defective. Rare but does happen.
It will take a tech two to figure out. . i
I understand you did not have the light before?
The ride height modules that bolt on the control arms may have gotten bent. Easy to see and check the little rods are straight on all 4 corners.

Last edited:
Lets hope its not the module but an 06 used one is cheap. If you did not have the service light before, it coukd beva couple of things. The shocks can be damaged if they installed the top bolt with an impact wrench. It can spin the shaft and damage the shock.
Lets hope its just the connector on top not plugged in . its easy to check and you can see it under the hood on top of the shock. It just snaps on,
I assume you bought delco shocks. They coukd be defective. Rare but does happen.
It will take a tech two to figure out. . i
I understand you did not have the light before?
The ride height modules that bolt on the control arms may have gotten bent. Easy to see and check the little rods are straight on all 4 corners.
Hi, It's not the engine light, it's the read bar, I believe he used an air gun to tighten everything. I got the original part # from Rock auto and they looked exactly the same, I know he was having an issue putting one of the control arm screws back in, but everything else went smooth, just very frustrating I will check the connections again. Is there a way to tell if a shock is bad and how, the car rides so much better now, very baffling to me. Is there a way to tell if the module is bad will that come up on a scan? Thanks for helping.

When i said light i was referring to the speed light warning.
The shocks are fragil. They can be damaged with an impact for sute. It takes a special socjet to hold the shaft so that it dkes not turn while you tighten the bolt on the rubbers with a wrench. Thats only on the top bolts the bottom are no issue with power tools. The connector has a spring wire on top you squeeze to remove it. Make sure the tiny pin is ok and inserting into the shock then the spring clip snaps on and locks in place. You can trace the wire down a foot or so and make sure they did not uplug it from the harness

When i said light i was referring to the speed light warning.
The shocks are fragil. They can be damaged with an impact for sute. It takes a special socjet to hold the shaft so that it dkes not turn while you tighten the bolt on the rubbers with a wrench. Thats only on the top bolts the bottom are no issue with power tools. The connector has a spring wire on top you squeeze to remove it. Make sure the tiny pin is ok and inserting into the shock then the spring clip snaps on and locks in place. You can trace the wire down a foot or so and make sure they did not uplug it from the harness
Okay, sorry misunderstood, I think he did unplug from the harness but put everything back but I am going to check again, ugh, what a process thank you so much for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom