Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Air Intake

Air intake

Thanks, Tim, I couldn't remember the exact term for the pheonmenon. I suspect, though, that the O2 and MAF sensors are more sensitive to Carbon and O2 emissions than other mixture results.

Rusty, I believe the word you're looking for is, "stochiometric", not "stochastic"; i.e., the point where every molecule of fuel is optimally combined w/ the exact required amount of oxygen for complete combustion. Y'all are right in asserting that the stochiometric combustion (or leaner) will run the hottest. It's been my experience that manufacturers richen the mixture mapping to keep from burning either pistons or valves. Whether an air intake system will require remapping depends on the safety factor programmed in by the manufacturer's map. Once a choke point is lessened, something else becomes the limiting factor (exhaust capacity, fuel supply, valve size, etc.). If the Volant only uses up some of the safety factor, w/o causing the too-lean problems, it would not require remapping. The same is true, BTW, for those who have higher-capacity exhaust systems. Changing that out, when the intake is the actual choke point, doesn't deliver its potential. After changing out both the intake and the exhaust would, most likely, require the system to be tested, and remapped only if proven to be necessary.
The MAF sensor and 02 sensor would seem to mitigate any concern for the remapping issue. Increased air flow is detected, and lean combustion is identified. That's why they're on there. We didn't have the luxury of them on our high-performance motorcycles, so remapping was usually necessary when high-flow intake/exhaust systems were installed.

Tim

Just purchased a D3 stage 1 & 2 intake for my V. Wondering if it is safe to install it now or if should I wait till it's being tuned. I don't want to set a lean condition and burn any valves. If it's driven easily until tuned I would think the computer could handle it and the lean condition would only occur at WOT which I know will be difficult to avoid!

Just purchased a D3 stage 1 & 2 intake for my V. Wondering if it is safe to install it now or if should I wait till it's being tuned. I don't want to set a lean condition and burn any valves. If it's driven easily until tuned I would think the computer could handle it and the lean condition would only occur at WOT which I know will be difficult to avoid!

I am just curious, why you didn't buy the tune module from D-3 while you were at it? Personally I would have to drive minimum 2 hours to a tuner, so I have it.

As for the statement earlier about the whine, it is true about the intake volume increasing, I describe the sound the same as the old quadrajet carb with the air cleaner turned upside down. However there is also some baffling, suppressing the supercharger whine that is eliminated so the whine is much more noticeable. I also weighed my removed parts and new parts and there was a 25 pound decrease with D-3. Win, win, win:)

I am just curious, why you didn't buy the tune module from D-3 while you were at it? Personally I would have to drive minimum 2 hours to a tuner, so I have it.

As for the statement earlier about the whine, it is true about the intake volume increasing, I describe the sound the same as the old quadrajet carb with the air cleaner turned upside down. However there is also some baffling, suppressing the supercharger whine that is eliminated so the whine is much more noticeable. I also weighed my removed parts and new parts and there was a 25 pound decrease with D-3. Win, win, win:)

I am driving up to Warsaw Indiana to have Jesse Bubb with Wait4Me tune my V next month. I am sure the D3 module compensates for the increased airflow, but wanted a more complete custom tune for my specific engine and transmission. I am going to be in the area for the Funfest and Bobfest anyway and after driving from the Houston area to Mattoon it's only about another 4 hours to Warsaw to get it tuned by an expert on a dyno. I received the D3 components yesterday. They are very lightweight and the weight savings will help, particularly on the front end. One thing I noticed is that where the two pipes are joined on the Stage 1 there is a significant ridge of material left that looks like it would cause a lot of turbulance from one of the filters. I may take a grinder and see if I can smooth it out before installing it.

Well if I was getting near a tuner I could trust, I think that is definitely the way to go. Jesse is sposed to be the man. Good luck and report your results back. dyno sheet too

One thing I noticed is that where the two pipes are joined on the Stage 1 there is a significant ridge of material left that looks like it would cause a lot of turbulance from one of the filters. I may take a grinder and see if I can smooth it out before installing it.

Congrats on getting the intake.

I, too, noticed a lot of rough welds and burrs inside my intake. Since I was having Steigemeier Porting services port and polish everything else from the Supercharger to the throttle body and portmatch the heads, they also smoothed out all the rough areas inside the intakes. So I would say - go for it, it could only help.

D3 Stage 1 & 2 intake polished and ridges removed with my Dremel tool. Installed it last weekend and took it for a test drive. Never got on it enough to hear the supercharger whine. I was surprised how quiet is was at less than half throttle. No check engine light. I did call Jesse Bubb at Wait4Me and he said as long as I didn't punch it I shouldn't have a problem driving it the 1188 miles to Warsaw Indiana. We are on the road tomorrow for Branson and then Bobfest. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Mattoon. Getting it ready for the Texas Mile in October with Team Elwood.

The trip back to Houston from Mattoon will be a lot quicker that the trip up there!

D3 Stage 1 & 2 intake polished and ridges removed with my Dremel tool. Installed it last weekend and took it for a test drive. Never got on it enough to hear the supercharger whine. I was surprised how quiet is was at less than half throttle. No check engine light. I did call Jesse Bubb at Wait4Me and he said as long as I didn't punch it I shouldn't have a problem driving it the 1188 miles to Warsaw Indiana. We are on the road tomorrow for Branson and then Bobfest. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Mattoon.

Glad your install went well. Safe travels.

Getting it ready for the Texas Mile in October with Team Elwood.

Wow, it sounds so official when someone else says it. :beerchug:

The trip back to Houston from Mattoon will be a lot quicker that the trip up there!

:laugh:... and could be more expensive in more ways than one: Gas is already expensive and the tune will tempt you to mash that little pedal more often, so watch out for the speedtraps.
:reddevil

shift points

Did you notice a lag between 1st & second after the Dyno tune? I had D3 dyno mine and had to have the sifts points changed because of the extra HP they found. Wouldn't shift properly.
I picked up nearly 30HP with the air intake and minor ECM tuning. Yes, the SC whine is louder.

Graph.jpg

Bob

No lag, it hits second hard and never looks back! I hope the tranny holds up as I think he set it up to not pull so much timing during shifts.

No lag, it hits second hard and never looks back! I hope the tranny holds up as I think he set it up to not pull so much timing during shifts.

With all the thrashing I've done and I'm still intact, I think you're safe. :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom