Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Air Intake

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
I have an 06 V with a corsa exhaust, otherwise stock. Can anyone with experience with either the Volant or D3 intake systems, tell me: 1 The amount of increased intake noise resultant without the silencers in the stock sysytem and 2: whether the additional hp is recognizable??

Thanks.
Rusty 06 V

I picked up nearly 30HP with the air intake and minor ECM tuning. Yes, the SC whine is louder.

Graph.jpg

Bob

You also lose the engine cover, unless you cut it our for the difference in the intake tubes on the D3 sage 1 & 2 system. With the Volant system you retain the engine cover and the S/C whine is not as noticeable.

HTH

You are correct, the D3 Stage 1 & 2 also comes with a tuner module programmed for the XLR-V. 'rleonard' has a different intake, but very similar to D3, and he had it tuned in Ohio after the intake was installed.

Which system did you install? I think the d3 sys. includes a chip modifier to go with theirs.

Hard to imagine that that was 3 years ago! It was snowing like crazy that weekend.

Bob

Intake system

With the D3 system, is the "whine" aparent cruising or when youre foot is in it, moderate accelleration, WOT, etc.
Can you describe it?

Rusty 06 V

You also lose the engine cover, unless you cut it our for the difference in the intake tubes on the D3 sage 1 & 2 system. With the Volant system you retain the engine cover and the S/C whine is not as noticeable.

HTH

With the D3 system, is the "whine" aparent cruising or when youre foot is in it, moderate accelleration, WOT, etc.
Can you describe it?

Rusty 06 V

The whine is very noticeable when you give it throttle. Completely unnoticeable at cruise throttle. If you liked the sound of a quadra jet carb with the air cleaner turned upside down, you will also like this. I noticed the whine first thing when I put the d3 on, but I was in the gas ALL the time at first. lol I noticed 3 things all at once. First you can hear the quadrajet sound, then the whine, then the valves opening in the exhaust. If you want to hear all 3, put it in 2nd gear manually then run about 25 mph under an overpass and floor it. very cool sound. first gear doesn't last long enough, 3rd gear gets too much speed, 2nd lets you hear all 3.
You must get the tuning box with the d3 stage 2, and the power is definitely noticeable, along with the sound.

You must get the tuning box with the d3 stage 2, and the power is definitely noticeable, along with the sound.

That's a bit of a misnomer. If you're not getting a dyno Tune and all you're doing is bolting on the stage 1/2 intake system yourself and you don't plan to make any other changes, you're right - you need their box for the ECM to utilize the increased volume.

I personally opted out of their box ($600) for the dyno tune ($250) because: 1) it was cheaper and 2) I wanted the tranny tuned; the speed limiter, EGT sensors and boost bypass disabled; remap the fuel tables, shift points, rev limits and MAF, etc. (among other things, but I run 26lbs of boost).

Just...to... be...sure... is it only with the more sophisticated d3 systems that a "tuning" be performed, or a "tuning box" installed? I intend to use a basic Volant system for awhile... is that simply plug and play, so to speak?

Just...to... be...sure... is it only with the more sophisticated d3 systems that a "tuning" be performed, or a "tuning box" installed? I intend to use a basic Volant system for awhile... is that simply plug and play, so to speak?

IMHO, There is a relationship between throttle position, air, fuel and engine rpm that is necessary to create a stochastic mixture to optimize combustiion. Engine management computers use the RPM and throttle position to establish the injector pulse width, given the amount of air, furnished by the intake system. This ratio is established for a given engine configuration and tabularized internally.
Installing an air intake system which furnishes more air per throttle position upsets that balance and thus produces a "leaner", less efficient burn at combustion. Therefore, to produce a stochasticly efficient combustion with more air introduced into the "system", requires that those internal tables be adjusted or some other modification made to compensate for the additional air introduced into that equasion.
Thus the need for "remaping" or other Adjustment such as the D3 Box to compensate. To just install the intake system Volant or D3 without remapping or otherwise compensating (D3) will not produce the results desired.

Rusty 06 V

Jeff,

You won't need anything else with the Volant. I bolted it on and used for two years with no problems.

I agree with rusty. I've asked the same question except for a reg. xlr. Through my years any time you change something you'll have to compensate or change other equipment to compliment new parts. A engine is a glorified air pump. The more air you put in calls for more fuel which will give a stronger combustion which you need to exhaust faster via larger exhaust. The faster and more efficient you do this process makes Betty go faster. By not remapping your fuel delivery you are leaning conditions if the computer does not. By leaning slightly you will actually produce more power generally but take it to far and you can kiss a piston good bye. With a tune you will get optimal power throughout the entire rpm. Like gizmo said it's cheaper and you can benefit from all the other adjustments needed. Full throttle!

That's a bit of a misnomer. If you're not getting a dyno Tune and all you're doing is bolting on the stage 1/2 intake system yourself and you don't plan to make any other changes, you're right - you need their box for the ECM to utilize the increased volume.

I personally opted out of their box ($600) for the dyno tune ($250) because: 1) it was cheaper and 2) I wanted the tranny tuned; the speed limiter, EGT sensors and boost bypass disabled; remap the fuel tables, shift points, rev limits and MAF, etc. (among other things, but I run 26lbs of boost).

Agreed. I guess I really meant you would need some kind of a tune to readjust the mixture. Not necessarily d3. I think the stage one doesn't require a tune, and I can't speak for the Volant but if must be dependent on the total air you are getting in the engine. Does Volant have various levels of intakes?

ANY intake mod like that would b MAXIMIZED by anybody capable of tuning. You can put the volant on. It will work with no problems but if you want the MAXIMUM performance out of it you should have it tuned. With the V air filter changes are more dramatic than the xlr. Superchargers love air!

Thanks for the input. The Volant web site states that no additional tuning is necessary for this unit on this application. Howevah... Stella's comment regarding "maximization" should be considered with this and all intake-related mods. I'll keep this in mind going forward... certainly don't want to limit the potential opportunity... and want to keep this beautiful engine in top shape!

Combustion 101

IMHO, There is a relationship between throttle position, air, fuel and engine rpm that is necessary to create a stochastic mixture to optimize combustiion .<snip>
Therefore, to produce a stochasticly efficient combustion with more air introduced into the "system", requires that those internal tables be adjusted or some other modification made to compensate for the additional air introduced into that equasion.
Thus the need for "remaping" or other Adjustment such as the D3 Box to compensate. To just install the intake system Volant or D3 without remapping or otherwise compensating (D3) will not produce the results desired.

Rusty 06 V

Rusty, I believe the word you're looking for is, "stochiometric", not "stochastic"; i.e., the point where every molecule of fuel is optimally combined w/ the exact required amount of oxygen for complete combustion. Y'all are right in asserting that the stochiometric combustion (or leaner) will run the hottest. It's been my experience that manufacturers richen the mixture mapping to keep from burning either pistons or valves. Whether an air intake system will require remapping depends on the safety factor programmed in by the manufacturer's map. Once a choke point is lessened, something else becomes the limiting factor (exhaust capacity, fuel supply, valve size, etc.). If the Volant only uses up some of the safety factor, w/o causing the too-lean problems, it would not require remapping. The same is true, BTW, for those who have higher-capacity exhaust systems. Changing that out, when the intake is the actual choke point, doesn't deliver its potential. After changing out both the intake and the exhaust would, most likely, require the system to be tested, and remapped only if proven to be necessary.
The MAF sensor and 02 sensor would seem to mitigate any concern for the remapping issue. Increased air flow is detected, and lean combustion is identified. That's why they're on there. We didn't have the luxury of them on our high-performance motorcycles, so remapping was usually necessary when high-flow intake/exhaust systems were installed.

Tim

I have an 06 V with a corsa exhaust, otherwise stock. Can anyone with experience with either the Volant or D3 intake systems, tell me: 1 The amount of increased intake noise resultant without the silencers in the stock sysytem and 2: whether the additional hp is recognizable??

Thanks.
Rusty 06 V

I added my Corsa after I installed the D3 intake...

With the stock exhaust the supercharger whine with the D3 intake was noticable... you could definitely hear it over the rest of the engine and road noise.

However, after I put on the Corsa I can no longer hear the supercharger whine at all over the exhaust rumble when I mash the gas...

Basically the Corsa is louder than any intake noise - at least from inside the cabin.

The reason why you could hear the whine more is the motor is sucking that much more air and was being restricted. You were getting that much more back pressure through the exhaust. Remember the more you stuff in,that much more has to get exhausted. Restricting either one effects performance. On the other hand improve flow or volume increases performance. A lot of mods compliment each other or work hand in hand so being aware of what's changing with modifications is beneficial.

The Volant/mileage combo on Chicago Dave's XLR makes me feel pretty comfortable about the safety factor for the base (at least for that CAI)! :). He's a great test.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom