Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Any XLR techs near Los Angeles?

sergioeddy

My XLR/V(s)
Black 2006 XLR
I purchased a 06 XLR 6 months ago and recently my car stalled and now misfires tremendously shaking until it eventually shuts off. Pulled codes and found issues with system to lean in bank 1&2, and several other codes. Most mechanics I know have never worked on an XLR. Any shop suggestions aside D3 Cadillac or stealerships? Can I go to reputable Corvette shops?

Thanks

same codes and basic engine in thousands of srx and sts. any good indi shop can work on it. nothing special unless its V. a good corvette shop can look up the codes and figure it out. loose air hose at the mass air flow or a bad mass air flow or possibly a bad cat can throw those codes. If you just bought it a I would check to see if its got the factory air cleaners? clear the codes ,drive it a few miles and check them again Cats usually throw a rich code but the oxygen sensors could be bad. I would look at the boot on the mass air flow and check that its tight and the vacuum hoses are all attached . any problems with the fuel gauge? if it is bad your pumps may not be pumping enough fuel .lets hope its not that.

Last edited:
same codes and basic engine in thousands of srx and sts. any good indi shop can work on it. nothing special unless its V. a good corvette shop can look up the codes and figure it out. loose air hose at the mass air flow or a bad mass air flow or possibly a bad cat can throw those codes. If you just bought it a I would check to see if its got the factory air cleaners? clear the codes ,drive it a few miles and check them again Cats usually throw a rich code but the oxygen sensors could be bad. I would look at the boot on the mass air flow and check that its tight and the vacuum hoses are all attached . any problems with the fuel gauge? if it is bad your pumps may not be pumping enough fuel .lets hope its not that.

Thanks for the clarifications and possible suspected items. Have not noticed fuel gauge issues. Here are the obd2 codes I got.

Is the V a lot harder to find mechanics to work on ?
John F.

not really. I would just check a little harder before I let one work on mine as v parts are harder to come by and more expensive so I would want someone who knows what he is doing not just throwing parts at a problem.

I purchased a 06 XLR 6 months ago and recently my car stalled and now misfires tremendously shaking until it eventually shuts off. Pulled codes and found issues with system to lean in bank 1&2, and several other codes. Most mechanics I know have never worked on an XLR. Any shop suggestions aside D3 Cadillac or stealerships? Can I go to reputable Corvette shops?

Thanks
Intake bolts, or injectors. I hate to mention this but Casa De Cadillac in Sherman Oaks has a XLR tech (Barry). But every $econd there co$t$ lot$ of $$$$$$$$!

for both sides to go bad I think fuel pump or massive intake air leak.. The intake manifold bolt torque is very easy to do and everyone should check theirs from time to time.

Mickeytree-- you note that re torquing the intake may be an issue that's "very easy to do." Any theory as to why the bolts loosen? -- have you noted that this is a "generalizable" issue with certain years? Any and all additional information or direction will be much appreciated. James

the problem has been around and well written up on the sts forums .the same basic engine as our 4.6. someone else pointed this problem out years ago and almost every 04-05 and a couple 06 I have checked the bolts were loose. seems like retorquing them and they seem to stay tight. I would assume the heat and cool cycle of the plastic plenum is the reason. torque is 89 inch pounds . .

It was also an issue that GM sent out a notice to services depts to look for whenever a vehicle gave a O2 sensor or too lean codes... Check the intake bolts. For what it is worth if it is the intake great, much better option than injectors or throttle body or...

the problem has been around and well written up on the sts forums .the same basic engine as our 4.6. someone else pointed this problem out years ago and almost every 04-05 and a couple 06 I have checked the bolts were loose. seems like retorquing them and they seem to stay tight. I would assume the heat and cool cycle of the plastic plenum is the reason. torque is 89 inch pounds . .
I really appreciate the info. My '06 Base model came down w/ ECL flu, a couple of weeks ago (71K miles). P0300 code. I used to be a regular on this forum, but have been away for some time. However, I (fortunately) DID recall the reports of loose intake manifold bolts, so I checked them and... EVERY ONE of them could be turned by hand! I found the bolts a little difficult to get to, but lucked out when I discovered that I had an old SnapOn wrench, that likely was intended for distributor timing adjustment. I tightened the bolts snug, but not "gronking"them, cleared the error code, and (YAY!) no more ECL issues. I'll go back now, and torque the bolts to your recommended 89 "-#, and life is good! Thank you!.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom