Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Beware Beware

mickeytee

Seasoned Member
Anyone buying an xlr or any parts in the next 6 months to a year should really do research on who is selling and what you are buying. I have counted so far 28 xlr that are flooded and being sold. So far. I would say about 1/2 will be washed and resold and the other half will be parted out. Any electrical parts off these cars will be garbage. Headlights, tailights suspension and top modules will be hitting the market.they will be garbage. Rsin in these storms is salt water. Even cars inland will have salt water dsmage . a good dozen i looked at have the water lines above the hood level. If you are buying parts from a recycle shop, ask for the vin number that the parts are off of. in most states, it is the law that the seller give you that number and you can check to see if its off a flood car. As an old tv cop show said "be careful out there".

Good advice! Best to get a CARFAX report on any possible car purchase if it shows recent ownership in
the Gulf water states. Yes, some might slip past Carfax reports, but it helps to be sure.
While flooded cars get good detail jobs, many times there is mud evidence to be found up under
the dash and other areas the detailers miss. A thourgh inspection of the vehicle is absolutely encouraged
before purchase if you want to be sure that you aren't being bitten-in-the-azz and end up with
a problem vehicle.

What Michael said for sure. That's a shocking hit to the XLR community - I just went through the list over at Copart and I guess due to the location and the popularity XLRs in that area, that has to be the biggest 'hit' to the existing fleet in a long, long time. :(

Hope this link will point to the current search results (October 19th) and a note to Rob: there's lots of registry updating to do sadly.

Of the 27 on the current list, -16- are flood damaged, all but one of those in Florida. Ouch. Here's hoping we didn't lose 16 members... and trying to look on the bright side, here's hoping the price of some of those costly spares will now get reasonable.

Anyone buying an xlr or any parts in the next 6 months to a year should really do research on who is selling and what you are buying. I have counted so far 28 xlr that are flooded and being sold. So far. I would say about 1/2 will be washed and resold and the other half will be parted out. Any electrical parts off these cars will be garbage. Headlights, tailights suspension and top modules will be hitting the market.they will be garbage. Rsin in these storms is salt water. Even cars inland will have salt water dsmage . a good dozen i looked at have the water lines above the hood level. If you are buying parts from a recycle shop, ask for the vin number that the parts are off of. in most states, it is the law that the seller give you that number and you can check to see if its off a flood car. As an old tv cop show said "be careful out there".
thank you for info i am looking for a potentiometer

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back