Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! Blown OIL line 32,000 miles caused OIL to spray everywhere in the engine bay

XLR_04

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR 4.6L
Blown OIL line, OIL sprayed everywhere in the engine bay which could result in a FIRE

one of the oil lines failed and caused OIL to spray everywhere in the engine bay
It was a BIG mess I mean EVERYWHERE No part left untouched. it was smoking heavy

lucky I was with my grandpa when it happened and told him to shut down the engine because oil pressure drop to zero.

lucky it did not cause a fire in the engine bay.

should the car be up for recall because that is a major safety issue since it could cause a engine bay fire and cause the engine to shut down which would increase the chances of a crash
This happened a year and 1/2 ago..

I know new GM became on the liable for Old GM .. because of the ignition switch fiasco

Last edited:
This is not a recall item, it's called a failure and as such is unfortunate.

Recalls are for systemic problems that are the result of poor engineering design, improper factory workmanship, or defective sourced parts that result in safety-related issues that may cause injury or death. --Safety-related issues being the operative words.

Problems that are the result of crappy design, but don't have a tendency to kill people usually end up being repaired (but not recalled) when a customer brings their car in with a known issue that's been called out in a Technical Service Bulletin - but not always, and not all dealers are proactive about checking for these. --Pinched-off trunk compartment drains being a shining example: GM can always say, "You should have cleaned that as part of a regular maintenance plan." And so you should.

A couple of XLR tops have delaminated and flown off. No action taken, since nobody died or was injured. Yet.

Besides, if the problem happened eighteen months ago, what is there to diagnose? If a seat spring yields, pierces the seat cushion and perforates your femoral artery resulting in death, that's also an unfortunate failure. If it happens to a half-dozen owners, it might be grounds for an investigation. Unfortunately, you need to pretty much die, or become maimed or otherwise horribly disfigured to get any attention. Could have died doesn't cut it.

Caca happens. Mechanical and electrical things break. Your car is over a decade old. Be prepared for more issues; reliability doesn't increase with age.

But. . .

The ignition switch recall occurred because GM KNOWINGLY installed switches that were failure-prone, fully aware that a percentage of failures would cause death or injury. (Which eventually did happen.) They paid out the wazzoo for being stupid, as they should have.

Your oil line problem is the first report on any XLR forums, and as such, is most likely to be considered an isolated incident.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
This is not a recall item, it's called a failure and as such is unfortunate.

Recalls are for systemic problems that are the result of poor engineering design, improper factory workmanship, or defective sourced parts that result in safety-related issues that may cause injury or death. --Safety-related issues being the operative words.

Problems that are the result of crappy design, but don't have a tendency to kill people usually end up being repaired (but not recalled) when a customer brings their car in with a known issue that's been called out in a Technical Service Bulletin - but not always, and not all dealers are proactive about checking for these. --Pinched-off trunk compartment drains being a shining example: GM can always say, "You should have cleaned that as part of a regular maintenance plan." And so you should.

A couple of XLR tops have delaminated and flown off. No action taken, since nobody died or was injured. Yet.

Besides, if the problem happened eighteen months ago, what is there to diagnose? If a seat spring yields, pierces the seat cushion and perforates your femoral artery resulting in death, that's also an unfortunate failure. If it happens to a half-dozen owners, it might be grounds for an investigation. Unfortunately, you need to pretty much die, or become maimed or otherwise horribly disfigured to get any attention. Could have died doesn't cut it.

Caca happens. Mechanical and electrical things break. Your car is over a decade old. Be prepared for more issues; reliability doesn't increase with age.

But. . .

The ignition switch recall occurred because GM KNOWINGLY installed switches that were failure-prone, fully aware that a percentage of failures would cause death or injury. (Which eventually did happen.) They paid out the wazzoo for being stupid, as they should have.

Your oil line problem is the first report on any XLR forums, and as such, is most likely to be considered an isolated incident.

yeah currently the steering is having a issue possible stuck caliper as well rear driver side (feels like there is excessive drag.) as well as a sweaking noise ()

my grandpa let me drive him home Probably the worst drive ever. the steering is awful Even my 2003 impala steers better and it has a leaky power steering pump.. and that car is a "junker car"

the car was becoming unstable over 55mph. as the steering requiring too much correction. it felt like one of the wheels were not turning in sync. most noticeable on slight left turns on the road.. not as bad on rights in the road..
It was more work then fun. :( ... very exhausting and stress full drive .. even the 3 banger Deawoo rental car was better drive while and at lest the steering worked great

also on the ignitions were not even replaced they still had the fault and it does not take much shut the engine off. I would be super worried if it was a bench seat version and a kid taps the key or plays with it, causing the engine to shut off
it does not really take much to make it shut off.. you only have to turn it 1mm and it shuts off.

could be the tie rod

Attachments

• 20171121_125826.jpg
    20171121_125826.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
1. Easy fix for the ignition switch. Don't let kids drive the car, and don't press it at all when in motion. Ever.
2. Are all these issues new or from eighteen months ago?
3. Has any servicing been performed?
4. Is there power steering fluid in the reservoir?

If the car has multiple issues, they probably didn't happen simultaneously. Again, is the car being cared for and taken in for service? As I said, it's over a decade old and each problem needs to be addressed to ensure it doesn't cascade into another one.

When properly maintained, the XLR is a joy to drive. If problems aren't taken care of, it performs no better than any of the cars you mentioned.

Last edited:
1. Easy fix for the ignition switch. Don't let kids drive the car, and don't press it at all when in motion. Ever.
2. Are all these issues new or from eighteen months ago?
3. Has any servicing been performed?
4. Is there power steering fluid in the reservoir?

If the car has multiple issues, they probably didn't happen simultaneously. Again, is the car being cared for and taken in for service? As I said, it's over a decade old and each problem needs to be addressed to ensure it doesn't cascade into another one.

When properly maintained, the XLR is a joy to drive. If problems aren't taken care of, it's no better than any of the cars you mentioned.

yeah he has done a bit of work recent.
New ignition coils , new spark plugs as he had a misfire on the car.
New battery every year.

the current issue is the steering he never noticed it (it's not a problem at lower speeds he drives (no higher then 30MPH here in Los Angeles) as he does not use the freeway anymore.)

The car just flaps around in the wind 55MPH+
the correct term is there is too much Understeer

Last oil change was in Aug 2016 with full synthetic (he only drives 2000-2500 miles a year) as he has a Silverado 2500HD 6.0L king cab truck he drives as well

The transmission works great and shift smoothly no strong shifts (all 5 gears+R are great)

he is a well experienced driver since he was driving since he was 14 years old , and is a Retired Commercial Professional driver as well (California class B) Retired Automotive mechanic as well (He only worked on his own cars and his Large class B commercial trucks)
He does not "do his own automotive work anymore" since he is disabled and can't lift heavy stuff anymore.
once I pointed out the steering issue yesterday he noticed it today..

Last edited:
If you read related power steering posts, you'll find a wealth of information on the subject. In a nutshell, 04-05's had rectangular power steering fluid reservoirs that easily cracked and bled fluid down the front of the engine.

The problem was solved in '06 with the introduction of a cylindrical metal V-style reservoir and radiator-style cooler. All subsequent repair work used the improved version for problematic early models when repairs were required.

If you suspect a power-steering issue, this is an easy check to eliminate from your list of potential causes.

Last edited:
If you read related power steering posts, you'll find a wealth of information on the subject. In a nutshell, 04-05's had rectangular power steering fluid reservoirs that easily cracked and bled fluid down the front of the engine.

The problem was solved in '06 with the introduction of a cylindrical metal V-style reservoir and radiator-style cooler. All subsequent repair work used the improved version for problematic early models when repairs were required.

If you suspect a power-steering issue, this is an easy check to eliminate from your list of potential causes.

I have it checked as well when they check the other stuff

the hood lifts are dead so it takes 2 people
A wood stick helps though

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics