Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

bumpers

ald42

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
05 xlr satin nickle
I found this strange.there are 2 cone shaped rubber bumpers/adjusters on the lower corners of the trunk that go into holes next to the taillights. I was cleaning and found some black stickey goo in the 2 holes,it was the rubber cones on the adjs. that were like mush/very soft??.bought new at dealer, there called bumpers and have the adj.bolt on them.part #10346849/$3.61 ea. dealer cost,list $4.32.maybe you want to check yours?? 10 min.job to replace.

That's good to know - I found Mike's are nasty & sticky after BG, though they are still there. Mine are fine, odd that the "middle child" year wise between these two is ok. :confused: Now we know more are still available & where to get them! :wave:

-bumpers

Watch the adjustment on those bumpers. They can cause problems with the top and operation of trunk. I had problems with mine when I first bought it. The roof was being marked and the trunk was rubbing on the bumper. the rubber was fine but one side must have worked loose. adjusting them properly cured further problems so pay attention when you remove them. Cadillac told me they have had many problems when they are not aligned properly!
V Happy:confused:

Watch the adjustment on those bumpers. They can cause problems with the top and operation of trunk. I had problems with mine when I first bought it. The roof was being marked and the trunk was rubbing on the bumper. the rubber was fine but one side must have worked loose. adjusting them properly cured further problems so pay attention when you remove them. Cadillac told me they have had many problems when they are not aligned properly!

My top is still being marked. I know this because I touched up the paint and the mark came back. Is there a way to know how to properly adjust them or is it really by trial and error? :confused:

My top is still being marked. I know this because I touched up the paint and the mark came back. Is there a way to know how to properly adjust them or is it really by trial and error? :confused:

I also had a problem when I first purchased it. I know their wasn't a rub mark on the roof when I bought her. I drove it a couple times with the top down and one day it appeared. I cycled the top acouple times to see what was the culprit. I found it to be the threaded end on a bumper slightly touching. I actually took a grinder and shortened the threads then took silicone and put a nice ball on the end of the threads. I would also check the lock down latches are securing the top in the stow away position. Remember if you start messing with the stops to understand what your adjusting, put some kind of mark on the bumper so you can count your turns,and alittle goes along way.

I also had a problem when I first purchased it. I know their wasn't a rub mark on the roof when I bought her. I drove it a couple times with the top down and one day it appeared. I cycled the top acouple times to see what was the culprit. I found it to be the threaded end on a bumper slightly touching. I actually took a grinder and shortened the threads then took silicone and put a nice ball on the end of the threads. I would also check the lock down latches are securing the top in the stow away position. Remember if you start messing with the stops to understand what your adjusting, put some kind of mark on the bumper so you can count your turns,and alittle goes along way.

Thank you Stella. I will try this. :patriot:

-bumpers

Stella
I think we are talking about two different bumpers I believe the original thread was talking about the two that adjusts the back of the trunk lid. They will cause the trunk to sit too low and cause a rub. I'm not sure of the ones you are talking about. I have read a thread about the ones you are talking about and they are a problem also.
V Happy:wave:

Stella
I think we are talking about two different bumpers I believe the original thread was talking about the two that adjusts the back of the trunk lid. They will cause the trunk to sit too low and cause a rub. I'm not sure of the ones you are talking about. I have read a thread about the ones you are talking about and they are a problem also.

V,you are right my thread talks about the bumpers on the outer lower corners on the inside of the trunk.the paint chips on the outside of the roof is caused by the roof not latching in the stowed position and bouncing up hitting a stud on underside of trunk.

Did this happen with the cone-shaped ones on the corners of the trunk? I don't have marks on my roof, but do have increasing paint wear in different places on top of the rear bumper, which is hidden when the trunk is shut. The rubber cone bumpers are fine.

At the same time Mike's XLR with the gooey rubber cone bumpers has roof marks (we fixed that problem by grinding down & padding what was doing it), but no marks on the top part of the rear bumper like my car. Guess I will take rear bumper marks that are hidden over marks on the roof. But if we fix the cone bumpers on Mike's, I don't want to cause problems like you are describing, if replacing those bumpers will cause that.

I don't like what my trunk is doing when it shuts, but haven't messed with it because the top works fine - and I do NOT want to risk messing that up.

bumper adjustment

Did this happen with the cone-shaped ones on the corners of the trunk? I don't have marks on my roof, but do have increasing paint wear in different places on top of the rear bumper, which is hidden when the trunk is shut. The rubber cone bumpers are fine.

At the same time Mike's XLR with the gooey rubber cone bumpers has roof marks (we fixed that problem by grinding down & padding what was doing it), but no marks on the top part of the rear bumper like my car. Guess I will take rear bumper marks that are hidden over marks on the roof. But if we fix the cone bumpers on Mike's, I don't want to cause problems like you are describing, if replacing those bumpers will cause that.

I don't like what my trunk is doing when it shuts, but haven't messed with it because the top works fine - and I do NOT want to risk messing that up.

Hi Amy,I think your bumpers need to be adj. out more. maybe close the trunk on heavy paper in the rubbing area and see how tight it is,then adj till it's looser.this won't aff. the top oper.and the weather seal well above this area.call me if you need more explaining? Al

Last edited:
-bumpers

Al
You are right. I kept adjusting mine out till the paper is loose and just one more turn and lock it down. I had rub marks on my bumper below the trunk which stopped after a proper adjustment. You can only see the rub marks when the trunk is open. When I finally got mine adjusted right the alignment on the top of the trunk and the fender was right on also. Just don't adjust the pads out too far and make sure they are line up with the holes they mate too.
V Happy:rolleyes:

I've seen these marks on top of the rear bumper to hidden when closed and when I bought my XLR it had a nick on the roof driver side close to the back window about appx. 4" from back and 2"" from side. Are you talking about adjusting the black rubber comes in the rear comers. I had one cone replaced at the body shop when we notice it was missing we he touched up the roof nick, which is fine now but still seem to be hitting the bumper really hard when closing the trunk. My fear is that a paint body shop probably does not have the experience to adjust these car correctly. I did not want to mess with anything in there and make it worst as everything is to be aligned prefect to work correctly or it may not function properly! Glad I read this tread some pictures my help spot on the right areas for adjusting if you guys wish to do that!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

-bumpers

Dan
I will try to put a few pictures of the bumpers. If I can in the next couple of days I will go in my manuals and see what Cadillac says about adjustment. When I did this it was a few years ago. It only takes a few minuites if everything is good with the bumpers. I think the only thing a guy could screw up is run them out too far.

Thanks so much for the info V-Happy & Al - I'll see about doing this (I.e., probably ask Mike to do it ;)) soon! It sounds pretty easy, & I know I need to do something about this.

Dan
I will try to put a few pictures of the bumpers. If I can in the next couple of days I will go in my manuals and see what Cadillac says about adjustment. When I did this it was a few years ago. It only takes a few minuites if everything is good with the bumpers. I think the only thing a guy could screw up is run them out too far.

Thx It probably be next weekend anyways until I'll have time to play with them anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

SOOOO, we bought new bumpers but put off doing anything about this problem on the V, figured there was no rush. Wrong idea!

Today after washing the V, we opened the trunk to dry under it & started getting black stuff on the towel & our hands. Thought maybe it was grease off the trunk hinges. Nope, instead found out one bumper had COMPLETELY "melted" into the hole it fits into, leaving only a bare bolt head behind and some black goo dripping out. :eek: So now there's a black tarry mess to clean out of there, not to mention some that got spread around on the paint. :mad::mad: The car stays garaged, hasn't been sitting out in the sun, no real good excuse for that happening. :bash:

Anyway, if you find these bumpers are getting gooey, you might want to go ahead & replace them ASAP.

SOOOO, we bought new bumpers but put off doing anything about this problem on the V, figured there was no rush. Wrong idea!

Today after washing the V, we opened the trunk to dry under it & started getting black stuff on the towel & our hands. Thought maybe it was grease off the trunk hinges. Nope, instead found out one bumper had COMPLETELY "melted" into the hole it fits into, leaving only a bare bolt head behind and some black goo dripping out. :eek: So now there's a black tarry mess to clean out of there, not to mention some that got spread around on the paint. :mad::mad: The car stays garaged, hasn't been sitting out in the sun, no real good excuse for that happening. :bash:

Anyway, if you find these bumpers are getting gooey, you might want to go ahead & replace them ASAP.

Hi Amy, soooo I guess" better late than never " is in order??:D:D.now that the bumper is gone use the other side for reference when setting the length of the new one. I just know there's not a mark or anything else on that paint!!! not with you on the job:thumbsup:thumbsup Al ps: there must be a problem with the rubber compound,hope the new ones are ok??? Al

Last edited:
Hi Amy, soooo I guess" better late than never " is in order??:D:D.now that the bumper is gone use the other side for reference when setting the length of the new one. I just know there's not a mark or anything else on that paint!!! not with you on the job:thumbsup:thumbsup Al ps: there must be a problem with the rubber compound,hope the new ones are ok??? Al

You are right - who'd a thunk the thing would melt completely away though!

I thought maybe it was because it was a V (tends to run hotter) or an '07 problem, because my '06 base is fine. But then I see you had the same thing. Sure do hope the new bumpers don't have the melt-away feature!

Another thing I just learned to be careful of when adjusting is causing leaks. My trunk is rubbing paint off the top bumper & the XLR tech actually recommended lowering the bumper rather than adjusting the trunk. He said if he adjusted the trunk, it might cause a leak, plus the top is working perfectly & he didn't want to affect that. I verified it wouldn't hurt to do nothing so went that route.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom