Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Cadillac XLR Headlights

Probably not. I've been watching a piece for my front end that hasn't been available for quite awhile, at least since i've owned my 09, suddenly it is. A different front bumper piece I ordered over a year ago and got, is currently not available. Recently it was. Maybe it's possible that if they get enough orders, they make a few. I don't know where they are made, but it would be nice if the molds didn't get trashed.

After doing some investigation I found out those molds are actually at a GM owned parts plant so it's not like they had outsourced those headlights.

I spoke with at least 4 aftermarket headlight manufacturers including one in China... What they said was that there were not enough XLR's sold for them to justify manufacturing the dies and molds required to make those lamps. They would never see a return on their investment without asking a ridicules price for the headlights.

SO... until GM makes some headlights there will be a problem for existing XLR owners.

Other forum users now report the 3rd brake light that runs along the trunk lid is also no longer available BUT is being produced in China as a sub standard aftermarket part.

Last edited:
After doing some investigation I found out those molds are actually at a GM owned parts plant so it's not like they had outsourced those headlights.

I spoke with at least 4 aftermarket headlight manufacturers including one in China... What they said was that there were not enough XLR's sold for them to justify manufacturing the dies and molds required to make those lamps. They would never see a return on their investment without asking a ridicules price for the headlights.

SO... until GM makes some headlights there will be a problem for existing XLR owners.

Did you check the online parts source I mentioned? I can remember in the past the high mount brake lamp was not available. It is now and at what I consider a very affordable price considering. Check it out, part # 25905631. partswholesaledirect.com

The DRL/headlight fix came out during 2006, so not every car received it during that model year.

You can tell by the color of the DRL bezels. The old ones that tend to craze and get ugly are orange. The new, craze-resistant bezels are clear with orange bulbs.

For those owners driving around with fingers crossed and old style bezels, LEDs --with their lower wattage/heat output are the best insurance you can buy.

CC :wave:

We have a small mini XLR group in Atlanta and would love to give the advise on the crazing issue at our next event. From my understanding there's two solutions regarding this problem. Driving with the headlights on all the time and replacing the bulb with LEDs, is that correct?

Can the LEDs be installed easily, or does it take 8 hours at the stealership.

Last edited:
We have a small mini XLR group in Atlanta and would love to give the advise on the crazing issue at our next event. From my understanding there's two solutions regarding this problem. Driving with the headlights on all the time and replacing the bulb with LEDs, is that correct?

Can the LEDs be installed easily, or does it take 8 hours at the stealership.

Al...

These two "solutions" appear to be the only options short of replacing the entire assembly. I'm currently running my headlights during all driving. A few years ago I changed out the side marker and forward facing light in each assembly when I upgraded to the 6000k headlamps. For whatever reason, and I believe I couldn't find amber LEDs at the time, they were left intact. My mistake for not jumping on that task when ambers became available.

The head lamp assemblies are not too cumbersome to remove. The shroud in front of each front tire can be popped off to reveal three bolts that that hold the assembly to the opening. I turned each wheel inside and had enough access from the floor surface.

My passenger side is significantly worse than the driver, but it is noticeable on the driver side, as well. Apparently, the driver side is virtually impossible to acquire unless a used unit in good shape can be located. I requested a "goodwill" gesture from my local dealer and sent him pics. He has responded that they are "working on this", noting that "one of the assemblies" are no longer available. This will ultimately provide no advantage, most likely, but will update the post if something is done. Meanwhile, I will source amber LEDs for a near future install.

is it the DRL bulb or the actual headlight burning /melting the DRL lens?

Until I can get new headlights here's an option IF your DRL lamp plastic light diffuser is melted or has partially broken off inside the light housing.

If you follow this procedure do so at your own risk... and remember these lights are hard to find.

Protect your bumper!! I used some painter's tape

After removing the DRL lamp it's possible to reach through the hole and knock out the melted plastic insert. The melted / brittle plastic lens will break apart easily with a pair of long needle nose pliers and the pieces dropped out.

So does the bare bulb look better or worse than the melted lens insert? Well probably not but this is going to have to do for a while.
--------------------------------------

View attachment 5976View attachment 5977

is it the DRL bulb or the actual headlight burning /melting the DRL lens? I am confused....assume it is the DRL bulb as there are several users recommending turning on the headlights all the time. I am also unclear if it is the DRL bulb...is there a suitable cooling running LED that does not require adaptors and or resisters?
thanks
Mike

is it the DRL bulb or the actual headlight burning /melting the DRL lens? I am confused....assume it is the DRL bulb as there are several users recommending turning on the headlights all the time. I am also unclear if it is the DRL bulb...is there a suitable cooling running LED that does not require adaptors and or resisters?
thanks
Mike

Mike, I was told it was the DRL's. I had my bulbs and sockets replaced two years ago. However I was a little late as the tops of my lenses were a little burnt.
John F.

Guide going out of business has little to do with it. That's not how OEMs work.

GM owns all molds and tooling for almost all parts on a vehicle that are unique, All manufacturers pay to have the molds and tooling made, and the manufacturers retain ownership of them. It's been this way for decades. Any OEM that tries to blackmail the manufacturer at the last minute for a higher per-piece price find a bunch of Semi-Trucks showing up at their plant to take away the Manufacturer's molds and tooling within 24hrs if they try holding them hostage.

I'm guessing we will have to get nasty with GM and threaten to embarrass them at some future expensive Cadillac announcement in front of the press to get these made. It is possible the tooling and molds where destroyed, but possibly not. I believe someone said they knew the molds where somewhere.

Anyone want to smash their headlight-free XLR in NYC? LOL

Maybe just a parade of duct-tape headlighted XLRs would work? LOL (ok, it's not funny, it's actually pretty sad).

This explains the problem in obtaining new headlight and taillight assemblies for the XLR.
Apparently GM never found a new supplier and has just decided to abandon XLR owners.
I guess they are just not interested in repeat business.

Guide Corp. halts production in Anderson - Indiana Economic Digest - Indiana

Guide Corporation: Private Company Information - Businessweek

XLR Headlights

Interesting, I have three older GMC Savana full size vans and the headlights were getting fogged over and looked bad.

I found replacements on E-bay and purchased several sets for less than $85 per set. The new ones look identical to the OEM ones that I removed and after several years they still look like new.

03 08 Chevrolet GMC Express Savana Headlights Front Lamps Pair Set | eBay

Too bad this can't be done for the XLR.

Let's get together on this!

Perhaps we all should sign a petition/band together and contact GM/Cadillac and ask them if they can help in some way. If the molds are 'still out there' can they help us getting them either released to a manufacturer to make them or for GM to 'contract' someone to make some more for their parts division.

knock wood
:pat: My 2009 has pretty much been flawless other than having to replace my original battery this year etc but every so often my hubby makes some sort of comment like - when that car starts to give us trouble we will be getting a new xxx. Well I just bite my tongue: it is MY car, not his - so he can keep his opinions to himself and I will be dammed if he makes any decision pertaining to it. None the less - I can't say that I won't feel the same way if in fact it starts to give me trouble and I cant find the parts to make it 'flawless' again. We have had lots of classic cars over the years and they can always be fixed if you just throw enough money at them but if the parts are not available then you are screwed. Some things can be built custom but things like headlights on an XLR? It would be horrible if an amazing car like the XLR fades away as the owners can not get the parts required to keep them on the road. :dunno:

Headlights

As I mentioned in another posting I just picked up my car and am starting to clean. After I get my Corsa exhausts I will start looking for headlights. I think in another couple of years the sun will really have given them that crackled look.
John F.

Aren't they pretty?

Very pretty, don't you think?

Attachments

• DSC02047.jpg
    DSC02047.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 647
Not teasing

Now you're just teasing us. Is that your spare set?

My purpose for posting was not to tease, but to show that these are real units that are available. Not cheap, but I don't know what they sold for when they were available from GM.

Yes, they are my spare set. It is somewhat ironic that the factory set in my 2005 XLR are near perfect, with no crazing or burnt spots. It just seemed to me that in the event of a collision, the probability of the headlights being damaged is high.

While I'm not trying to build a new XLR "one piece at a time", I have acquired a few items likely to fail or need replacing in the future. I have a serious track record of keeping my favorite vehicles for a long time (see my garage). My XLR will be no different, I plan to keep it for a very long time!

By the way, I would be tickled if GM would produce new copies of the headlight units. It would benefit the greater XLR community! If I don't ever need them, I will be just as happy!

My purpose for posting was not to tease, but to show that these are real units that are available. Not cheap, but I don't know what they sold for when they were available from GM.

Yes, they are my spare set. It is somewhat ironic that the factory set in my 2005 XLR are near perfect, with no crazing or burnt spots. It just seemed to me that in the event of a collision, the probability of the headlights being damaged is high.

While I'm not trying to build a new XLR "one piece at a time", I have acquired a few items likely to fail or need replacing in the future. I have a serious track record of keeping my favorite vehicles for a long time (see my garage). My XLR will be no different, I plan to keep it for a very long time!

By the way, I would be tickled if GM would produce new copies of the headlight units. It would benefit the greater XLR community! If I don't ever need them, I will be just as happy!

Don't blame you for getting them. SMC is showing one driver's side left for $1600! Just a few weeks back they advertised the pair for around $2200. My 06 has a fair amount of crazing and only 45k miles. I would love to replace them but cant justify $2500 at this point. They do look nice in the pic!

brunt lens in headlamp

Anyone that needs or wants someone else to restore their headlamps should take a look at a post on the cadillacforums.com do a search for Headlight Burnout Repair which is a post by member F1Ace "Wes". He listed a company in Canada "Winnipeg HID" as his local shop that did his headlight restoration.

Hope this is some help.
V/R
Dave

P.S
Also review this post has some info about possible non-OEM lens replacements...
XLR Headlight Assembly FOR SALE NEW OLD STOCK 10 pin Harness

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry