Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

car wont go into gear, shifter just floats back and forth from park to drive..and doesnt engage!!

Golhock

My XLR/V(s)
Black /Black 2005 XLR
2005 XLR, had the shifter control cable replaced 2 years ago..because the shift knob wouldnt engage in reverse, neutral, or drive..it just floated back and forth and would not engage any park, reverse ...it was stuck in park...this is the 3rd time this has happened in the past 2 years..
anyone have had this issue ..and if yes...how did you fix it ...tired of towing my car...the cable underneath the car is connected..already checked that....
Thank you for your help...Larry

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
Unless you take off the huge plate underneath the car, you can't tell if it's disconnected at the shifter Heat is bad in that area and sometimes those nylon bushings just can't take it anymore. A bushing kit from almost any parts store will get you back in business, but you have to remove that plate first to get at it

Golhock

My XLR/V(s)
Black /Black 2005 XLR
Thank you for getting back to me...Is there anyway you could show me through a video or pics where I can locate the plate to remove and also where the part to be replaced is?..I purchased the bushing kit..or is there a video already made that I can view?
Thank you ..really appreciate any help on this.

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
You'll need a frame lift, center lift not so much. There's a large plate under the car running down the center line with 30 some odd screws holding it. It's a cover for the exhaust but also a body stiffener. That has to be removed to get at the shifter link under the console. Those bushings are the first to go due to the extreme heat from the exhaust system. Going off memory here, did mine in 2015.

MrNorm66

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black Raven
You'll need a frame lift, center lift not so much. There's a large plate under the car running down the center line with 30 some odd screws holding it. It's a cover for the exhaust but also a body stiffener. That has to be removed to get at the shifter link under the console. Those bushings are the first to go due to the extreme heat from the exhaust system. Going off memory here, did mine in

JohnnyBfromPeoria

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Base, Black/Black
Golhock, have you visually verified that the cable end at the rear is physically connected at the transmission? That's where mine broke a couple of months ago and needed the small bushing. I was also lucky in that mine broke at home, while the car was in park. Would've been real trouble if it happened any other place!

Mr. Norm66, do a search for "shifter repair" on here and more threads on this topic will come up.

John B.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Top Bottom