Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

car wont go into gear, shifter just floats back and forth from park to drive..and doesnt engage!!

Golhock

My XLR/V(s)
Black /Black 2005 XLR
2005 XLR, had the shifter control cable replaced 2 years ago..because the shift knob wouldnt engage in reverse, neutral, or drive..it just floated back and forth and would not engage any park, reverse ...it was stuck in park...this is the 3rd time this has happened in the past 2 years..
anyone have had this issue ..and if yes...how did you fix it ...tired of towing my car...the cable underneath the car is connected..already checked that....
Thank you for your help...Larry

Unless you take off the huge plate underneath the car, you can't tell if it's disconnected at the shifter Heat is bad in that area and sometimes those nylon bushings just can't take it anymore. A bushing kit from almost any parts store will get you back in business, but you have to remove that plate first to get at it

Thank you for getting back to me...Is there anyway you could show me through a video or pics where I can locate the plate to remove and also where the part to be replaced is?..I purchased the bushing kit..or is there a video already made that I can view?
Thank you ..really appreciate any help on this.

You'll need a frame lift, center lift not so much. There's a large plate under the car running down the center line with 30 some odd screws holding it. It's a cover for the exhaust but also a body stiffener. That has to be removed to get at the shifter link under the console. Those bushings are the first to go due to the extreme heat from the exhaust system. Going off memory here, did mine in 2015.

You'll need a frame lift, center lift not so much. There's a large plate under the car running down the center line with 30 some odd screws holding it. It's a cover for the exhaust but also a body stiffener. That has to be removed to get at the shifter link under the console. Those bushings are the first to go due to the extreme heat from the exhaust system. Going off memory here, did mine in

Golhock, have you visually verified that the cable end at the rear is physically connected at the transmission? That's where mine broke a couple of months ago and needed the small bushing. I was also lucky in that mine broke at home, while the car was in park. Would've been real trouble if it happened any other place!

Mr. Norm66, do a search for "shifter repair" on here and more threads on this topic will come up.

John B.

I was able to access the shifter bushing from the inside of the car you will have to remove the 4-10mm bolts and can install the bushing a bit tricky but can be done. Keep in mind the cable is a weak are so do not flex it much. Update the new guy (me) kinked mine by trying to install the bushing thru the top. So new ones do not exist (unblieveable) found one on Ebay used @ a $700.00 price tag still have to have it installed. Becoming more and more convinced it's just not worth it trying to keep these cars alive.

Last edited:
Well here is my update on replacing the shifter bushings; #1 do not try to do it from the top
(you will kink the cable and have to replace it) #2 And if you do check with the members at this site to see if they have a cable otherwise you will get burn't on the Ebay fellows there are not new in stock as with almost everything xlr discontuned. Save your self's the the money and have a shop replace that bushing (unless you have a lift in your garage). And I am not a sales person but Hagerty ins towed my car free and was less for full coverage than others with only liaibilty. Being a newbee I insist in learning the hard way and sharing my mistakes with all the up coming newbee's.

Damn, just bought mine and it feels like I'm slipping a clutch to go in reverse with no other momentum taking place or gears engaging. Certainly not a mechanic here, but what have I got myself into again. (gave my son the other 2005 XLR).

Damn, just bought mine and it feels like I'm slipping a clutch to go in reverse with no other momentum taking place or gears engaging. Certainly not a mechanic here, but what have I got myself into again. (gave my son the other 2005 XLR).
You might be better off buying a used tranny if it's slipping the shift bushing only apply to the shift process and not slipping.

The only thing I can suggest is get the rear end off the ground, get under the car and manually move the shifter arm at the trans and make sure it's not a shifter cable adjustment problem.

RD & justdennis, appreciate your responses.
Rebought new jack, ramps, tire blocks and a host of other stuff (tech 2 or obd? to purchase soon.)
Will get under it soon, or my beloved mechanic will whose 2 hours away!
Everything was working great then nothing, no slippage smooth, positive shifts, I'm stumped to say the least.
Busy playing these days also.

Just needs a 10$ bushing installed on the rear shifter cable. Easy fix if its the rear. Easy to get to. Ill send you the best part number you can find at most any auto parts. Dorman for a jeep is easy fix

They may a kit bush fix but I've bought several over the years and 50% of the time they ship thevwrongbkit. Dorman 14797 is a good proper replacement. Does not require special tools to insert. Just make sure you put it in the proper way. The groove is offset . the rear is easy the front is harder . I would check and replace the rear first even if its not broken yet. Let me know if its the front.

I'm out of town with family this week and my trusted Mechanic informed me yesterday, he's not available due to additional work scenarios.
Will get the car elevated when I get back. Sure tough being retired and busy living life. Thank you Mickytee for your quick, informative response.

Hi Mickytee, after being in and out of town, my mobile mechanic stated that his parts person was unable to locate the bushing repair kit. I had forwarded that link you sent me, but to no avail.
I went to Ebay/O'REILLY now and clicked linkes to see if parts (Dorman 14797) would work and none shows fitment. Please advise, thanks.

That's the correct one the xlr is so low production no ones going to list parts like this for it.. if you pm me ill send one if they don't have it. It may say jeep on the package but its a perfect replacement looks like the one below
IMG_20230921_175810.jpg

2005 XLR, had the shifter control cable replaced 2 years ago..because the shift knob wouldnt engage in reverse, neutral, or drive..it just floated back and forth and would not engage any park, reverse ...it was stuck in park...this is the 3rd time this has happened in the past 2 years..
anyone have had this issue ..and if yes...how did you fix it ...tired of towing my car...the cable underneath the car is connected..already checked that....
Thank you for your help...Larry
AMAZON

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry