Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Carvana quote. Ridiculous!!!!

Grocery-Gtr

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Xenon Blue, I call "Blue Thunder."
Just for git's and shiggles, I requested a quote from Carvana for my XLR. Firstly, I am not about to sale my XLR, but this is what I got.

Your Carvana Offer $8,628​

Car's.com: Estimated Value to Dealer $9,993 - $16,464

Carguru's: Sell it Yourself $8,400 Est.

Last edited:
"Car's.com: Estimated Value to Dealer $9,993 - $16,464"

Looks about right to me.......for the age and mileage.
Did you think they would offer you retail value?

"Car's.com: Estimated Value to Dealer $9,993 - $16,464"

Looks about right to me.......for the age and mileage.
Did you think they would offer you retail value?
No. but I would have thought more than 8,000. You know, as I do, that they would jack it up to 26,000 or better when it's put up for resale.....

Quote: "You know, as I do, that they would jack it up to 26,000 or better when it's put up for resale....."

Howard,,, You sort of bragged about buying this XLR cheap. Read below your own words of what parts you have had replaced.

"They found a module for the roof top (did a function successful test), replaced suspension module and wiring harness, replaced the camshaft position sensors, fixed the misfire in Cyl #2 coil packs, replaced the front shocks, replaced hood struts, replaced trunk support struts (took three techs to do it, quoted me for one), coolant flush and replace radiator hose clamp. Still below my budget for the repairs, but still need a ballast for the headlight and a pump for the hard top."

From what I can visualize you bought a nice looking XLR that needed many issues fixed,,,and I bet the previous owner was glad to get rid of it. Its great you bought it right and are still under budget on repairs, but your thinking to what it is worth are far reaching. I, and dealers, go by N.A.D.A. Guide book values mostly, and then dealers figure 20% less of book value considering they may also need to make repairs, cleaning, advertising, time on lot to sell, and floor plan costs. I don't see any dealer putting more than $8K-10.5K of their 'hard money' into buying or trading for a 16+ year old, XLR......then trying to sell it for $15K-$20K at a minimum hopefully. They are in business to make a profit. Your "retail" $26K or better relates more to a low mileage, '08/'09 V models....not '04 through '07 higher mileage cars. It is what it is, and your opinion is just yours,,,, as is mine.

ENJOY your ride,,,,,

Quote: "You know, as I do, that they would jack it up to 26,000 or better when it's put up for resale....."

Howard,,, You sort of bragged about buying this XLR cheap. Read below your own words of what parts you have had replaced.

"They found a module for the roof top (did a function successful test), replaced suspension module and wiring harness, replaced the camshaft position sensors, fixed the misfire in Cyl #2 coil packs, replaced the front shocks, replaced hood struts, replaced trunk support struts (took three techs to do it, quoted me for one), coolant flush and replace radiator hose clamp. Still below my budget for the repairs, but still need a ballast for the headlight and a pump for the hard top."

From what I can visualize you bought a nice looking XLR that needed many issues fixed,,,and I bet the previous owner was glad to get rid of it. Its great you bought it right and are still under budget on repairs, but your thinking to what it is worth are far reaching. I, and dealers, go by N.A.D.A. Guide book values mostly, and then dealers figure 20% less of book value considering they may also need to make repairs, cleaning, advertising, time on lot to sell, and floor plan costs. I don't see any dealer putting more than $8K-10.5K of their 'hard money' into buying or trading for a 16+ year old, XLR......then trying to sell it for $15K-$20K at a minimum hopefully. They are in business to make a profit. Your "retail" $26K or better relates more to a low mileage, '08/'09 V models....not '04 through '07 higher mileage cars. It is what it is, and your opinion is just yours,,,, as is mine.

ENJOY your ride,,,,
Just to be clear. I'm not complaining, pissed or upset about their estimate. I WAS bragging about my purchase price. The car was bought at auction and original priced at $21,000 till the used dealer found out the fixes where more than he was willing to pay. It was reduced to $17,999 then $12,999. That's when I came along. I offered 10,500 with the problems, he countered with 11,200. SOLD. Plus he wanted to get it off the lot so he wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. You, being an experienced XLR member and dealer, can come up with a ball park figure of what I've put into the fixes. Having said that, I good with it.... By the way, would you sale your XLR to Carmax, or any other dealer for $8,000? Um just askin.

The point was that they would buy low and resale extremely high. You and other dealers may add 20% to MOST cars for a profit, but the XLR is a different animal because of it's rarity. I'm quite sure that an offer of $8,000 to buy would fall in N.A.D.A. values, but the resale would be closer to asking prices you might see by individual sellers The other thing is I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. Once again, I'm not not pissed, upset or complaining. I have the car at a Cadillac dealer for repairs which means I'm paying premium price for parts and labor. Again, I'm not pissed, upset or complaining. My post was just an observation. I AM excited about having the car with all its inherent problems and lack of key available parts. Saw it yesterday with the new rims and caliper covers on it and it looks GREAT. So I WILL enjoy the ride... Hope to see you on the roads my friend.

Last edited:
most xlr cars you see for sale ,stay for sale unless the price is good or its a super low mileage v they dont really bring that much . West Coast people seem to have more money and they bring more out left for the same car that would be cheaper in Florida. Every now and then you get an impulse buyer that just sees it and buys without checking values and cost of ownership.. I just bought an 08 with 55k miles .had a 1/4 and rear bumper installed that needs to be repainted .all in I am at 9k for the car. After correcting the repairs and general clean up an a few things installed I will have 11k in it and it will sell for a little more . I plan to drive it 3-4000 miles and then move it so my driving is free. You bought yours to drive so with 18K in it and another 2500 to finish you could have bought one with no problems and a better 06 -07 had you known. .in a few months you can top down and really enjoy it . You have had fun getting it repaired and no problems with the cost so Enjoy it just watch out for those Atlanta interstate turtles . If you bump one of them thats another 3000 to repair . Most people on here did not buy their cars to flip. They bought them to drive and enjoy but still no one wants to just throw away a lot of money on them. Carmax usually offers wholesale on a car unless its something really special. They buy a lot , a really lot of cars from individuals who do not want to deal with trying to sale their cars or just need the money.

Last edited:
most xlr cars you see for sale ,stay for sale unless the price is good or its a super low mileage v they dont really bring that much . West Coast people seem to have more money and they bring more out left for the same car that would be cheaper in Florida. Every now and then you get an impulse buyer that just sees it and buys without checking values and cost of ownership.. I just bought an 08 with 55k miles .had a 1/4 and rear bumper installed that needs to be repainted .all in I am at 9k for the car. After correcting the repairs and general clean up an a few things installed I will have 11k in it and it will sell for a little more . I plan to drive it 3-4000 miles and then move it so my driving is free. You bought yours to drive so with 18K in it and another 2500 to finish you could have bought one with no problems and a better 06 -07 had you known. .in a few months you can top down and really enjoy it . You have had fun getting it repaired and no problems with the cost so Enjoy it just watch out for those Atlanta interstate turtles . If you bump one of them thats another 3000 to repair . Most people on here did not buy their cars to flip. They bought them to drive and enjoy but still no one wants to just throw away a lot of money on them. Carmax usually offers wholesale on a car unless its something really special. They buy a lot , a really lot of cars from individuals who do not want to deal with trying to sale their cars or just need the money.
Thanks for the insight. I don't plan on flipping it. I'm driving it until my knees can't take getting in and out, or i can't find the parts to keep it running. This is my dream car. Temps where amicable today so I drove it with the top down from the dealership. Felt pretty damn good. Tried to look like I've had the car for a while, but I think my cheesy grin gave me away. I was just looking at prices for the heck of it.

good heater heated seats ,heated wheel you can drive top down windows up until its 40 outside .haha
I know right!!!!! Already got my, "I own this" look........ Even if it's 40 outside...... :ROFLMAO:

I may have given the wrong impression that I plan on flipping my XLR.. That is so far from the truth. This is a 20 year love affair for this car and I'm going to nurture my XLR for as long as I can.. I say 20 years because I worked for GM during the design and testing phase of the XLR platform. I was just surprised by the low appraisal verses asking prices for an XLR. Like the line in Rambo: First Blood. "I'm cruise until the wheels fall off."

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom