Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! CD Changer issue

Jentgens1943

Hi everybody,
I am a newby and look forward to learning and sharing. My CD Changer currently will not play or eject any CD's. Manual gives some advice and the only thing I can figure is high humidity. Florida in summer is definitely high humidity. I keep getting the message CD ERROR. Got any suggestions??

Dennis

CD Error

1943, Sorry,, I have no suggestion for you......but even in low humidity Arizona, our XLR had the same problem. I came to the conclusion that the CD unit is a P-O-S

Try pulling the fuses to the entertainment system. Mine got "confused" once, and that fixed it. Haven't had a problem since.

I agree it is a POS. I use an FM transmitter and play music from a micro SD card and use phone via radio. Don't need CD Changer, just want to remove the CD's

Hi everybody,
I am a newby and look forward to learning and sharing. My CD Changer currently will not play or eject any CD's. Manual gives some advice and the only thing I can figure is high humidity. Florida in summer is definitely high humidity. I keep getting the message CD ERROR. Got any suggestions??

Dennis

Welcome to the XLR forum 1943 and the world of XLR’s!... funny thing, I just seen the other day where stores will no longer be selling CD’s because with todays Technolgy to listen to music with Bluetooth, WIFI & ect.... they can’t sell the CD’s anymore! And to be honest I use Prime Music and had installed Kinvo Bluetooth in my XLR with hookups with wiring harness that can be purchased to use the XM Box behind the center waterfall box. You can purchase different harnesses so you can keep the XM Radio if you wish, you just unplug the Kinvo when you want to listen to the XM, but you still, of course need to have a XM Subscription, but not to use the Kinvo unit. For more information on the install, use the search on the forum here, it’s in here! Have you heard about 15 Year Homecoming?...... the last week of September everyone is invited here’s the link: Bowling Green Reunion - 15 Years - Cadillac XLR Forum - Cadillac XLR and Cadillac XLR-V Forums | Blog
GOOD LUCK! And look forward to meeting up someday!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Dennis

I had the same issue when I first got my XLR. The error is fatal according to the dealer. Since it was under warranty I opted to have them replace it with an NOS unit.
But if you’re paying out of pocket and plan to keep the car it might be worth your time to consider upgrading to a good after market system with all the current technology.

Welcome, and good luck either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every so often one of these show up on eBay. Mine was toast when I bought the car. I took a chance on buying an eBay unit. Seller said works perfect. After I installed it and paired it to the car, CD changer wouldn't work. I had to file a claim on eBay to get my money back. That's when I upgraded to the Kenwood unit I have now. Don't regret it one bit

Thanks,
I read all your posts about the upgrade a while ago. Impressive to say the least. I am not there yet both technologically or financially.

Hi everybody. Thanks for all the tips on dealing with my stuck CD Player. After a extensive internet search I have found a solution that suited my needs. I am sure each situation is unique to itself, yet I will share what worked for me.

You need a thin shim, tongue depressor or plastic putty knife. Definitely not any material that will conduct electricity.Using clear packing tape and place it sticky side up over your tool. Carefully insert this into the CD slot and lift it slightly. It will contact the disc in the player and you can pull it out. Then I pulled the fuse to the player and waited a few minutes. Then put the fuse back in. This will cause the CD Player to reset from scratch. Do the same thing for each disc to be removed. It may not work the first time yet keep fiddling around with it.

Once I had all 6 discs out I did the reset again and now my CD Player is working fine. I won't be using it though. I bought an FM transmitter that will plug into the lighter socket. Then you tune your radio to an FM station that is not used. Set the FM Transmitter to the same frequency and it will transmit to your FM Radio. It has slots for SD Cards and USB ports. One port is for charging your phone and the other port is a reader and transmitter. I loaded all my CD favorites to an SD Card inserted it into the SD slot and now it plays them through the radio on that FM Frequency.

It also has blue tooth capability to pair with your phone and transmit that through the same FM Frequency allowing you to use your radio for hands free conversations.

The cost for this FM Transmitter was $10.00 off E Bay. There are a lot of different ones. Many from China yet I chose a US seller. On a lark I played a bidding game on one from China and got it for $3.00 (Will gift it to my sister when it arrives) These transmitters with work with any FM Radio and bluetooth enabled phone.

Hope this helps someone as it was a very effective fix for my CD Player and ability to use my radio to play recorded music and as a phone.
Best
Dennis

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry