Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! CD's won't eject 08 XLR

Bakertech

Seasoned Member
Any thoughts on how to get CD's to eject? Have tried the 'Force Eject" pushing Power and Eject buttons simultaneously for 10 secs. Only a gear slipping noise.
Have tried the sticky tape on long thin item but no luck. Not sure if stored discs are above or below slot. I think below.

Anyone take off the Unit faceplate to access player and how is this accomplished?

Thanks for any assistance,
Gord:mad:

Any thoughts on how to get CD's to eject? Have tried the 'Force Eject" pushing Power and Eject buttons simultaneously for 10 secs. Only a gear slipping noise.
Have tried the sticky tape on long thin item but no luck. Not sure if stored discs are above or below slot. I think below.

Anyone take off the Unit faceplate to access player and how is this accomplished?

Thanks for any assistance,
Gord:mad:

There's a small pinhole at the bottom of the head unit. Straighten out a paper clip, insert, and push hard. That should eject the disc in the player, not sure about retrieving stored discs. May as well forget using the cd player anymore, it'll continue to eat them. That's one reason I replaced the OEM with a Kenwood last summer.

CD's won't eject

There's a small pinhole at the bottom of the head unit. Straighten out a paper clip, insert, and push hard. That should eject the disc in the player, not sure about retrieving stored discs. May as well forget using the cd player anymore, it'll continue to eat them. That's one reason I replaced the OEM with a Kenwood last summer.

Does the dash fascia have to be removed first? Any hints on how that is done? Looks like perhaps the console has to come out first.

Thanks MC

Very easy to remove. Maybe a 1/4 beer job. Three, if you take your time.

1. Drop the trim ring on the shifter and use a T-15 to loosen the retaining fastener to lift off the shift knob.
2. Using plastic (never a screwdriver!) trim removal tools, gently pry up the center console trim, working from the back to the front. You don't need to remove the trim plate, just lift it up and back from the infotainment plate cover since it presses against it at the bottom.
3. With the center console trim removed, use your handy trim tools (You are using them, right?) pry off the infotainment trim surrounding the display. All of the trim pieces are held on by spring clip retainers.
4. At this point, you can access the CD player.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
CD unit trim removal

Very easy to remove. Maybe a 1/4 beer job. Three, if you take your time.

1. Drop the trim ring on the shifter and use a T-15 to loosen the retaining fastener to lift off the shift knob.
2. Using plastic (never a screwdriver!) trim removal tools, gently pry up the center console trim, working from the back to the front.
3. With the center console trim removed, use your handy trim tools (You are using them, right?) pry off the infotainment trim surrounding the display. All of the trim pieces are held on by spring clip retainers.
4. At this point, you can access the CD player.

Thanks CC and Rexter.
I have watched an Utube video on the XLR trim removal and will acquire the Trim Removal Tools. Infotainment Trim. 00000OOOOOO new big word and appropriate! I hope to recover my 60-70's CD's. I Will. Chilling 3 fat Buds for the job. Black cloud overhead, low beams quit on the Denali and AC is intermittent. Phone battery just died and cat is delusional. Happy 4th to You.

I've pulled mine off so many times, I can do it with my fingers. Slow and smooth are the key words here

CD recap

Six pack of naughty Naturals all will be good. thank God for extended warranties God Bless America and happy birthday jerz....

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Well, I would not say that the operation went well but it went. Ring would not come off gear shift knob using Trim Tools. Had to work with console still attached but loose and shifter back in drive. Well padded cover over it. Some difficulty removing the CD from Radio and lots getting the unit apart so I could remove the 6 CD's.
That involved medical tools and needle nose pliers. They did not survive unscathed. There was NO pinhole to force eject the discs as someone mentioned. I did not unplug the radio power in case it wouldn't operate again. Since it remained in drive, could not shut off other power and battery depleted so as to lock me out when going for beer. Wasted a lot of time getting the front cover off of the CD unit, which was no help at all. I think the unit kept trying to eject all the previous day. Trunk access works well. Anyhow it is back together, no exterior damage and no more attempts to play disc's. One plastic locating pin for the unit broke off. No big deal. The entire unit is surprizingly heavy. Tiny tiny Phillips screws are also involved.
Satellite tunes next year. Thanks for the tips gentlemen. Happy Motoring.

I was always able to get the trim ring to slide down using pressure with my fingers (before the condensate from the beer bottles made them slippery).

I was always able to get the trim ring to slide down using pressure with my fingers (before the condensate from the beer bottles made them slippery).

I agree w CC, that ring comes off pretty easy. It has a very slight 'dimple' type retainer on the left and right sides moulded into the plastic (not front and back), if you gently pry the ring open wider to the left and press down and then repeat on the right, it pops right off (down). Use a plastic (and small) pry tool (plastic so you don't mark anything), it doesn't take much force.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, it's always a good idea to pull the radio and CD fuse before taking them apart for stuck stuff or loading/ejecting problems.
Mine wouldn't eject CDs, pulled both fuses for a while, would eject after the fuses replaced.

CD Fubar and more

Well after much much beer and swearing I managed to get the unit back together with a CD inserted just flush with opening to stop the continual eject effort. Great difficulty getting the vehicle to start even with booster and charger connected.

When it finally started after connecting to running Denali for 10 min., I drove directly to GM Dealer. Turns out a recent (less than 30 months) new AC Delco battery installed had crapped out. Likely the cheapest thing it could have been. Parasitic draw etc., checked.

The replacement was 590 CCA. Is this the correct size? Sounds light to me. 700 CCA would be more in order for all the electrical operation on this vehicle.

On the Road again......

Well after much much beer and swearing I managed to get the unit back together with a CD inserted just flush with opening to stop the continual eject effort. Great difficulty getting the vehicle to start even with booster and charger connected.

When it finally started after connecting to running Denali for 10 min., I drove directly to GM Dealer. Turns out a recent (less than 30 months) new AC Delco battery installed had crapped out. Likely the cheapest thing it could have been. Parasitic draw etc., checked.

The replacement was 590 CCA. Is this the correct size? Sounds light to me. 700 CCA would be more in order for all the electrical operation on this vehicle.

On the Road again......

Do yourself a favor for the future. Unless you go the route of a trickle charger you should trash the puny Delco and get either an Optima or Odyssey battery. The one I have is 1500CCA. I bought it about 18 months ago and have not had one issue since, and not using a trickle charger. The car gets driven about 4 times a week.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom