Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

CEL, shaking, fuel smell - P0300 and P0307 trouble codes… ignition coil?

grue

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'05 XLR
Hey all, this morning my '05 with 51,000 miles decided to act up and start shaking a bit when I left my house. Thought it was a bit weird, but no CEL so decided to go a mile or two and see what happens. Once I gave it a decent bit of throttle to overtake, the check engine light blinked at me for a few seconds, then went steady as I pulled over. I limped it to autozone and pulled codes P0300 and P0307, indicating a general misfire and a cylinder 7 misfire specifically. Off the top of my head that sounds like an ignition coil issue, is there any plausible reason not to just order the coil assembly and start there?

Seems to be part # 89017778.

Also, is cylinder 7 on the left or right bank (when at the front of the car looking towards the rear)?

Thanks in advance.

Update: Installing the coil pack fixed it! It was indeed the passenger side bank. I tested by unplugging the coil for the #7 cylinder and saw no change, so swapped the pack and my #7 cylinder lives again!

me too

Update: Installing the coil pack fixed it! It was indeed the passenger side bank. I tested by unplugging the coil for the #7 cylinder and saw no change, so swapped the pack and my #7 cylinder lives again!

I have 306 as well and 300. I have changed the intake seals, battery, tomorrow the crank sensor, am I heading down the wrong road?

I have 306 as well and 300. I have changed the intake seals, battery, tomorrow the crank sensor, am I heading down the wrong road?

I can't say for sure but I'd say the coil pack is worth a look. Not ridiculously expensive and took about 10 minutes total to install. You can unplug the coil for cylinder #6 before you order and if you don't see any change, it's pretty strong evidence that it's an ignition issue.

Keep in mind it'll take a number of miles or ignition cycles or some other hoodoo for the CEL to go away once oyu fix the problem but in my case it was *instantly* recognizable as fixed once I swapped it out because the car was immediately running smoothly again

Amazon.com: ACDelco D593A GM Original Equipment Ignition Coil: Automotive

Last edited:
I can't say for sure but I'd say the coil pack is worth a look. Not ridiculously expensive and took about 10 minutes total to install. You can unplug the coil for cylinder #6 before you order and if you don't see any change, it's pretty strong evidence that it's an ignition issue.

Keep in mind it'll take a number of miles or ignition cycles or some other hoodoo for the CEL to go away once oyu fix the problem but in my case it was *instantly* recognizable as fixed once I swapped it out because the car was immediately running smoothly again

Amazon.com: ACDelco D593A GM Original Equipment Ignition Coil: Automotive

it has just over 91 k. what is odd, I will get 306, sometime 307, from different banks, crazy wouldn't it be to opposite sides of the engine. I have also heard it twice for just part of a second, I assume not fire at all, a skip in beat. you don't need tool, xyz like the book says to pull the coil pack?

it has just over 91 k. what is odd, I will get 306, sometime 307, from different banks, crazy wouldn't it be to opposite sides of the engine. I have also heard it twice for just part of a second, I assume not fire at all, a skip in beat. you don't need tool, xyz like the book says to pull the coil pack?
I think I decided to just do it by hand, didn't have any issues to speak of.

Coming from different banks seems odd to me though, I agree.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom